Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Handgun???

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2005, 08:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I vote sig... I had a .357 Sig P229 and loved it, until it was stolen
Old 04-05-2005, 08:16 PM
'People of Wal-Mart' 2010 finalist

check out www.galleryofguns.com for a price suggestion on guns. I dont know if they cover Canada tho.
Old 04-05-2005, 08:54 PM

Although a bit more than the Glock, and near the price of the Sig, you could always go w/ an HK USP or P2000. Very accurate and extremely reliable. HK's have a variety of trigger options, that can also be changed over later on if you want. I personally own and carry an USP compact .40 S&W. Just thought Id throw in my 2cents.

I know you're lookin for a 9mm, but a 1911 can be a VERY accurate handgun.

good luck w/ your decision

Jeff
Old 04-05-2005, 10:02 PM

I have had both,and I will say I don't have the glock anymore.I do have a sig,and it is great!My favorite would have to be a good ole' 1911 though.But the sig is a close second.(See gallery for sig pic)Those are my two all time favorites.And the .357 sig round is sweet.
Old 04-05-2005, 10:25 PM
Thats MR Hoss to you buddy!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by Lary Ellis (Top)
Sig or Glock?

No real comparison there, Sig hands down is the finer weapon.

I am a licensed gunsmith, I own many hand guns, Glock isn't one of them
CanuckCTD, as evidenced by Lary's post....people either LOVE Glocks or HATE Glocks. Usually the guys that hate them are the die hard 1911 fans who just can't bring themselves to shoot a "plastic gun". Put one in their hands though and their tune often changes pretty quickly.

Honestly, you can't go wrong with either one. But, I do still recommend that you stick with a 9 MM if you intend to use it only for target shooting. I say that simply because 9 MM ammo is so cheap.
Old 04-05-2005, 10:26 PM

The 1911 is the best choice but I did not mention it earlier because it was not one of the two choices metioned. I have over 10,000 rounds through mine and I have only replaced the firing pin spring. If you go that route the colt is the only way to go. Everyone will mention other brands but DON'T DO IT. I will always be a Colt 1911 man due to the great accuracy and reliability of mine. Between me and my best friend that has a lot of gun experiance Colt 1911's prevail. I do love my Glock and Sig makes a great gun but the 1911 is a proven design and John Browning is the King of gun design. Go to a gun range and rent all three. I am sure if they rent guns they will have all of these to use. The Glock is very comfortable if you have a good sized hand. The Sig might be a little antimidating due to the bells and whistles. The 1911 is simple and a sweet shooter that fits most everyones hand. Pros and Cons would only be mag capacity and if it is only a range gun who cares. If it is a home protection issue keep loaded mags close and I can switch 1911 mags very quickly.

Good shopping, there is no wrong choice! Usta
Old 04-05-2005, 10:30 PM

Originally posted by Usta HaveA Hemi
I do own a glock and people that say they are junk either are just turned off by the looks or have small hands.
Actually, people that say they are junk are usually just uninformed. They formed their prejudices against those "cheap plastic guns" when they first came out and have never wavered from those feelings. If Glock were REALLY junk, they wouldn't be the most widely used firearm by law enforcement agencies across the nation.

Speaking of cheap....another thing to consider is cost. A Glock is going to set you about about $500. A sig will cost you $600 to $700. I don't know if that matters to you or not, but it does to some.
Old 04-05-2005, 10:32 PM

Originally posted by duner
only semi glock people will tell you the pro stuff and leave out the con stuff. these people tell it like it is.

http://www.thegunzone.com/glock/glock-kb-faq.html
One thing to note regarding KB's...probably 95% of them have been in the .40 caliber and ALL of them that I've ever heard about were credited to bad ammo and not the gun. Glocks don't blow up any more than any other gun. You just hear more about them because they're so popular and so many people own them.

Also, if you notice, the one KB they show in that link is an aftermarket barrel. You can tell by the stainless steel finish....which you will not find in a stock Glock. You don't have to worry about a KB....especially if you're going with a 9 MM.

As you can see from the links below....KB's are not exclusive to Glocks:

http://www.thegunzone.com/glock/hk-kb.html

http://www.mark23.com/MPPKSD/splode.html

http://www.geocities.com/Yosemite/Gorge/4653/bad.htm

http://www.thegunzone.com/m1akb.html

http://quarterbore.com/ar15m16/ar15kaboom.html

My point is....you don't have to worry about a KB with a Glock any more than you do any other guns.
Old 04-05-2005, 11:28 PM

Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts
Originally posted by phox_mulder
Canadians can own handguns?

phox
Yes we can. and some of us can even carry them for protection.... *snicker* (good luck getting permission)
We always have been able to own handguns. the recent changes to the act made hand guns with a short barrel length prohibited. (example would be the stubby .38) there are also some calibres that are now banned as well (I think all .32's) Full automatic weapons are prohibited as well as some assault weapons. There is a whole conviluted section on barrel lengths and weapon types.

http://www.cfc-ccaf.gc.ca/info_for-r...ets/wild_e.asp
Old 04-06-2005, 06:26 AM
Banned

here's another .

http://www.thegunzone.com/glock/problems.html
Old 04-06-2005, 06:30 AM
JKE

I vote sig. Used P220 goes for around 500 - 550 maybe less depending on condition. New, as HOSS said, 600 - 900 depending on stainless, nightsites, etc.

I'm saving for a 220 in stainless. Been hoping one will show up in the local shops, but no luck. I may have to order it... yeeeouch 8 or 9 bills for one...but, I like the sigs.

Nothing bad to say about glocks just because I have no information about them. - JKE
Old 04-06-2005, 07:16 AM
I was banned per my own request for speaking the name Pelosi

Why stainless? You just want to look purty? I carried mine concealed plenty and it's gotten pretty sweaty, also carried exposed in the rain. They put a good coating on them. Pssst, I wonder if the high volume of municiple use has to do with budgets? OBTW, may be a little extreme, but if the situation requires tactics other than pulling a trigger, I'd rather be working with steel than synthetic.
Old 04-06-2005, 07:26 AM

Originally posted by duner
here's another .

http://www.thegunzone.com/glock/problems.html
For what it's worth, the issue with the slide rails was only a problem within a certain range of serial numbers sold several years ago. If you buy a new Glock you will not have the slide rail problem. If you have an old Glock in the right (or wrong I guess) serial number range, you can send your gun to Glock and they will fix the problem.

Also, Duner, I don't know if you realize it or not, but the guy that is writing the articles you're referencing...Mr. Dean Speir....is MAJORLY anti-Glock. I don't know why exactly, but he has a history of not telling the whole story.

If I HONESTLY had ANY reason to believe that Glocks weren't completely reliable do you think I would trust my life and my family's life to one??

My suggestion....if you REALLY want to learn about the pros and cons to Glocks....is to visit www.glocktalk.com.
Old 04-06-2005, 07:33 AM

By the way...I'm certainly not saying that Glock is the best handgun out there. I have yet to see a PERFECT handgun. However, just about anyone with any kind of knowledge of handguns at all will tell you that Glock makes a fine firearm....as do Sig, HK, S&W, Colt, Kimber, Wilson, blah, blah, blah....

By the way, HERE is a good thread to read for anyone still concerned about KB's in Glocks.
Old 04-06-2005, 08:18 AM
Banned

i'm not anti-glock. i've had two of them. got nothing against the plastic guns either. got a s&w plastic .40 and i like it. canuck asked for pros and cons and everyone was giving him the pros and making it sound as if the glocks were the cats ars. there ok, like i said, in my opinion. trust my life or my familys to one, probably. buy one as a first gun if i could pick anything i wanted? probably not. given canucks' two choises i would choose the sig. just my .02.

Quick Reply: Handgun???