Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Civilization, yes............

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2008, 07:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Civilization, yes............

Ahhhh........the entrapments of.........errr......trappings........ that's trappings of civilization - power, lights, microwave, telephones, a soldering iron - how granted we take them - how dearly they are missed - yep, AC power back today at noon, two weeks after Ike - never realized, everything I do takes electricity and light - sun goes down, technical life is over - sure glad for L.E.D. lighting, runs 40hrs on 3 AAA penlite cells, even longer on AA, way longer on D cells - the time of the incandescent bulb is over, imo - drop an incandescent and you're dead in the dark - drop an L.E.D. multiple times with no resultant D.E.D.'s (dark-emitting diodes) - life is AC powered......................
Old 09-27-2008, 08:02 PM
Banned

welcome back and thanks for the laugh, dark emiting diodes
Old 09-28-2008, 09:03 AM

Thanks - Alicia in '83 felled the neighbor's 100yr oak onto my property, across both vehicles and the front of my house - took 6wks to remove that after work everyday and weekends - never lost AC power - Ike felled that tree's 125yr sister along and across my fence, shearing four limbs off two of my trees but missing the house - only actual wind damage to my trees twisted the tops out of the two across the back bedroom, which fell away from the house into the back yard - one hundred wheelbarrows of just leaves\twigs\small branches from wind-shear strippage, then the big limbs\branches - I did it in three days - a 20" Oregon Barracuda chain\blade on a Montgomery Ward's (McCulloch painted orange) 3.7cuin saw made it very easy - 12"dia limb in under 12secs, only gravity working the saw, no hand pressure - that chain is the (Looney Tunes') Tasmanian Devil of chainsaw blades - when I walk into the backyard with that big orange saw, the trees all pull up their branches and try to look healthy - after they saw the Barracuda in action, all I have to do is point at a limb and a ground location, and the selected tree will drop it on spot - the others try to maintain a low profile, not moving even if the wind is up............

The Oregon Barracuda: try it - you'll like it.............
Old 09-28-2008, 09:34 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by gmctd
...drop an L.E.D. multiple times with no resultant D.E.D.'s (dark-emitting diodes)...
That's funny right there...I don't care who you are!
Old 09-28-2008, 08:13 PM

Becareful hooking up those Light Emitting Diodes backwards, if you do they suck the light out of the room. Glad you got power back. Ike was a weird storm. Up here in the Dallas area, we got a little rain (which we needed) and not much wind at all). My parents way up in the NW corner of PA lost power for a few hours.

~Rob