Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

2 way radio rant

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2007, 01:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2 way radio rant

What is with all of these bubble pack radios? FRS is completely plugged up being in between an amusement park and an interstate..... GMRS is getting worse now too....

Short of Nextel DirectTalk (which surprisingly seems to have decent range) and DirectConnect, what other options do I have?

I was thinking some 2 watt Motorola Radius VHFs and set them on the MURS frequencies? There doesnt seem to be a whole lot of traffic on those frequencies around here...

I guess I could get a UHF or VHF Business Band license but that is a pain and takes the portability out of it.....

It would be nice to steal every bubble pack GMRS radio out of that park and burn them..... Jack would have a blast educating/busting people around here for that....

I guess what I'm looking for here is for these radios are mainly handy for general chit chat with a group. I would love to get about a mile and a half out of them on semi flat and open ground. It is not really business use (or at least not all the time) so I guess that rules out business band UHF and VHF.

I have a GMRS license, but the GMRS channels are packed full of (garbage) from the people at the amusement park....

I'm thinking two watts on MURS VHF channels with some decent handhelds would be good... (Motorola Radius maybe?) those frequencies don't seem to carry much traffic....

-Trey
Old 03-03-2007, 10:17 AM
'People of Wal-Mart' 2010 finalist

Luckily, I dont have an amusement park near by, but yea, those things have become the CB of this generation. When I do go to an amusement park, its cell phones all the way.
You might see what else motorola offers in radios. Or go back to the CB band. your getting a bigger radio, but less traffic.
Old 03-03-2007, 10:19 AM
DTR Founder

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
I still use GMRS, but I use CTCSS along with MDC1200 so that no other bubble pack radios can break my squelch. If you have a GMRS repeater in your area or if you can put one up, that is your best bet. MURS is good but you're allowed to only use low power and you can't put repeaters on those frequencies.
Old 03-03-2007, 11:58 AM

I do not know all the abbreviation's that you guys are using , I've got some of the UHF & VHF , Motorola's with the lock out , [ locks out all that do not have the code ] .
About 20 yrs. ago a friend was a sales/tech for Motorola , and I did not get the military radios [ hook up to a dedicated computer to program ] I'm sure that would be a no-no now , thats why I am regretting even more now .
So now the thought is a Ham tech lic. & one of the shortwave portables .
Old 03-03-2007, 01:24 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm on 151.625mhz "red dot".there FM two way radios. we get about 5 miles no problem. I think the FCC license was $150 for 10 years. Any local radio supply shop should be able to set you up.
Old 03-03-2007, 01:54 PM
DTR Founder

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
These days with all of the unlicensed bubble pack GMRS users and FRS mayhem, Amateur Radio is the way to go. The great thing about it is that you don't have to put up your own repeater because they are all over the place, especially on VHF. I'm not a big fan of MURS or GMRS anymore, but still use them both in certain situations.
Old 03-03-2007, 08:23 PM
'People of Wal-Mart' 2010 finalist

I carry a GMRS radio when im in the woods. I figure if I get lost, that is the one most likely I will be able to get someone on...
Old 03-04-2007, 09:30 PM

Well, after checking around on the MURS frequencies in the area, they seem to be fairly clear. Some asking around and I was able to acquire several Motorola Spirit 2 watt VHF handhelds. I will try this out and see how it works for me. I guess if this doesn't work, I will try something else...

Nextel has excellent coverage in 95% of the places I need radios, and everyone that would normally be using the handhelds has them. That is what is currently being used and they work great. This is mainly for those couple places in valleys out of reach of cell towers.