3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Factory radio with Sirius radio question

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2006, 06:41 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Factory radio with Sirius radio question

My truck came with the factory radio with free sirius radio subscription for one year. I called Sirius today and got the account activated. While playing with it, the display on the tuner will show only Ch 1, 2, 3, and so on through 184 I think. There is no display as to what actual broadcast station you are tuned in to.

Am I doing something wrong or is this all the information the display will show?
Old 01-09-2006, 07:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
mine is same way....will only show station number and not scroll the show or program you are listening to at moment. I assumed it was because I have the stock basic radio and not the Infinity high end system......

i plan on researching it though...
Old 01-09-2006, 07:13 PM
P.J
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Your unit will display: Channel #,group(music catagory), artist, band, song, composer(whatever that is) or "comment".

They all do, I just figured mine out yesterday.
You need to find the Display menu, you will be able to toggle between the choices above. Only dissapointment with my Kenwood unit is that the display isn't a two line (it scrolls, where the bigger displays have both the artist and song)
Oh well, I love it and will likely never go without it now.
Old 01-09-2006, 08:32 PM

Well Brock old boy, I think we may just be S.O.L. here. I just read the manual and from what I gather, the only way you can get the broadcast information to display is if the radio is equipped with a button on the very bottom right of the radio marked RND/PTY.

My button is marked RND/SET. The strange thing about it, there is actually nothing in the manual that describes my particular radio. My very bottom button on the left side has a small audio jack in the center, the manual mentions nothing about this jack or shows a pic of this particular radio.

The radio that has the RND/PTY button to display broadcast information, has the very bottom left button being marked SET.

If you discover something different, let me know.

And to P.J. ......... my radio does not have a display button. Only has a mode button to choose AUX setting or SAT (satellite) radio.
Old 01-09-2006, 08:40 PM
tcb

i think, unless you have the rb1 navigation radio, you only get category, not artist and title. speak up if i am wrong.

tim
Old 01-10-2006, 06:23 AM
P.J
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Huh. I would be very suprised if they didn't incorporate a feature that is part of the programming beamed down by Sirius.

Guess the display window isn't big enough? That was what I was saying about my aftermarket one, the window is only about 1" tall, so it scrolls.
Old 01-10-2006, 08:09 AM

yep i have the exact same radio as you...i was going to get my sister in laws MP3 player as I am guessing that is what that jack will handle.....

other than that I luv the stereo...sounds much better than my aftermarket in my 94 Cherokee.....I luv the SIRIUS...CD player sounds good....so no real complaints.

Especially after I figured how to program a full 12 stations per band instead of tthe 6 that show on buttons...LOL
Old 01-10-2006, 11:22 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
On the '06 radios to get the artist, title, etc to display is to use the 'INFO' button.

MikeyB
Old 01-10-2006, 12:09 PM

It all depends on which radio you have from the factory. The basic radio will give you the least information, the rb4 will give a little more and the rb1 will give you all the information. As for the rnd/pty button on some radios that is for regular fm stations only not the sat radio. This button will display radio call number/letter as well as some song info provided the station is transmitting this type of info.

Travis
Old 01-10-2006, 02:51 PM

Originally Posted by rico334
My truck came with the factory radio with free sirius radio subscription for one year. I called Sirius today and got the account activated. While playing with it, the display on the tuner will show only Ch 1, 2, 3, and so on through 184 I think. There is no display as to what actual broadcast station you are tuned in to.

Am I doing something wrong or is this all the information the display will show?
Do you know what your radio order code is? I have the REK radio and I am wondering the same thing. I have a Sportster Plug and Play, but I like the idea of not having a "box" installed on my dash. I also like the idea of having the artist/song info displayed. If I go with the factory unit, I get a years sub for free.
Old 01-10-2006, 03:42 PM

Well, I stopped by the local dealership today and asked them this question about my radio. I was told that the "Infinity" radio was an optional radio item, and that my factory radio would have to be replaced with this "Infinity" radio in order for the broadcast station and other information to be displayed.

I don't know what this "Infinity" radio is but it $ure $ound$ expen$ive.......
Old 01-10-2006, 05:26 PM

The infinity radio will not solve your problem with your sat radio info. See my post above.

Travist
Old 01-10-2006, 07:02 PM

If you go with an aftermarket head unit, you should still be able to use your free year subscription. I have XM, and I can switch radios anytime by phoning, or entering new ID number on their website. Should be the same with Sirrus. That would REALLY suck only having channel number to view.....
Old 01-10-2006, 07:21 PM

RBQ radio will show it all.... I have it...
Old 01-10-2006, 07:25 PM

I suppose I have the low end kind of radio in my truck then. I have never had one of these and it is great. I also just figured out that I can log in to the Sirius website and can have the radio on my computer too. This is just too cool !!!

Thanks to all who responded.