Off Road / 4x4 OffRoad discussion, along with 4x4 events and information.

Why is recovery equipment so unsafe?

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2007, 12:20 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
PS. Lance, what did you hook up the ****** block to on your truck? I have no recovery point in the front on mine and want to add one.
-P
Old 12-07-2007, 11:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have two 60k break strength straps that I use. Theyre military issue for the IFAVs that got phased out. The trucks were sitting there getting ready to be shipped away, so I grabbed up two of the straps.
Old 01-01-2008, 01:22 PM

Lot of good advice here ....let me add some experiences as well.

Winch cable (It's all dangerous) I had a fellow in Moab a few years ago tell me that he could stand where he was because he had synthetic line. When I showed him the "line rash" on my tailgate and the hole it made when a synthetic line broke he got the idea and moved.

I have used synthetic line and it is nice...works very well...but I am not too impressed with it's durability in frozen muddy situations as example..I will take wire rope for that. Abrasion resistance..we all know your not suppose to let the cable run against anything that can harm it.... real world: it happens. Again it depends how hard your loading it. Loggers use wire rope for a reason...it's very abusable and shows damage with clarity so it can be maintained. This trend may change as Synthetic technology improves I am sure.

Straps: I carry a 30' 6" wide stretch n snap, a 30' 1.5" round "recovery rope" (no give) and chains/cable for rigging. Both the strap and the rope are rated far and above in theory what I should need. I have broken the strap and I replace them every other year or sooner. I also rig only with screw type shackles...They are US Navy shackles with a 1.5" pin...so far never a hint of failure. My ****** block is a logging type rated for use with a log skidder with a smaller pulley for use with the smaller (than skidder) winch cable I run.

I have seen small saplings cut in half with winch cables that failed...I have seen shackles that failed (Warn shackle actually) that sailed through a hood/windshield and rear A piller of a Chevy truck. (It was properly rigged...it just became terribly overloaded as sometimes happens in a non perfect environment of the woods vs test labs)

I have the utmost respect for professional riggers...they know there job and do it well and know exactly what to use for equipment...I should know my best friend is a professional in this field. When he goes wheeling with me he is always muttering "this isn't right but dang if I have a better idea" It is not a risk free hobby and TOO much beef and TOO much thought and TOO much safety are real good things I feel.

NoRM
Old 01-27-2008, 11:02 AM

Location: Ordered to Elizabeth City NC. rather be back in north Idaho
Originally Posted by Diesel_Storm
yes there is a danger factor when using any recovery equipment, that cant be avoided.

the big thing is to use it wisely. when using a winch always put a blanket, jacket, floor mat, or a Warn weight blanket, over the line.

same for using a recovery strap, is also a good idea.

also, NEVER attach 2 or more straps together. NEVER use a strap that has metal hooks on the end, they are designed for FLAT TOWING ONLY.

the main safety feature of any off road equipment is the person knowing how to use it correctly.
X2 on the person using the stuff. Just stay outta the road of that cable or line! I've watched so many folks winching out and standing right next to their cable. I've spent time underway on a Coast Guard cutter and seen 4" hawser become less then 1" hawser, so I got a lot of respect for that snap-back, but some people just don't understand what can happen.
Old 02-04-2008, 01:23 PM

shame they dont have small chain winches. would be safer at least.