Natl. and Regional Chapters / Special Events Discuss events and rallies here. Also discuss your local and regional chapters.

TXDTR#8 (North Texas DTR) April Meet

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2007, 10:32 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by bnold
Just an idea.... The paint on my vavle cover is starting to flake.. No better time then now to go sand blast it and repaint... Question is... What color? Keep it stock (Black with no paint on raised letters). D something different: Use the color of my twins boots in there somewhere?? That light blue?...

Shoot some ideas out there!!

I vote black on the valve cover!!!!! Paint the raised letters if you want or leave natural.
Old 03-20-2007, 10:37 PM

Met a guy that works at another patrol division today who has a 1992 D250 that he bought new. We were in a training class together. Sharp truck! He built a custom front bumper and debadged it etc. But has never seen a website for our trucks before, so I told him where to come look around. His eyes got real big when I showed him some pics of our DHRA weekend in Houston with the big pullers, stacks thru the roof, big smoke, drag racers, dynos etc. Anyway, hopefully he will develop some interest here in N. Texas and bring a 1st gen to our group for a little more diversity.
Old 03-20-2007, 11:05 PM

Yeah, we need a 1st gen pretty bad - and I don't feel like buying one....
Old 03-20-2007, 11:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hmmmm... Chrome... no (What were you thinking Charlie!! Would expect that from Duallydog, but not you! )

Thinking the blue from my twins boots would be too much POP for me...

Thought about full black...
Stock
XLR8R has me intrigued with the natural + black raised.... Wonder how well the cover looks after blasting... wonder if it is a cheap cast or what?? Probably have to use a real fine media to avoid tearing it up...

Have high temp black powder left from my twins and I like the anodizing idea, but that all costs $$ Did I mention my head is in the shop!!
Old 03-20-2007, 11:44 PM

Yeah Brian, if you blast that it'll look like a piece of jewelry when you're done.

Don't be afraid to use something aggressive like slag or garnet, as opposed to glass or walnut, if you want a rougher texture.

Blasting on aluminum makes for a nice scintillating effect!
Old 03-21-2007, 08:11 AM

scin*til*lat*ing -- (Adjective)
Dazzlingly Impressive
Possessing or displaying dazzling liveliness, cleverness or wit.

Apparently Mike forgot who his target audience is........
Old 03-21-2007, 08:19 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Had to look it up, did we? Or was that from memory.... just to help out others?

RJ
Old 03-21-2007, 08:28 AM

Originally Posted by XLR8R
Yeah Brian, if you blast that it'll look like a piece of jewelry when you're done.

Don't be afraid to use something aggressive like slag or garnet, as opposed to glass or walnut, if you want a rougher texture.

Interesting... What kind of clear would be recommended to keep it from turning colors??
Old 03-21-2007, 08:28 AM

Originally Posted by RowJ
Had to look it up, did we? Or was that from memory.... just to help out others? )

RJ
Naw....thought it had something to do with Scandinavia....BOY was i wrong! WELL unless the guy doing the blasting was Swedish! (You B/CS boys and quote me on that if you want! )
Old 03-21-2007, 09:32 AM

Brian, If going for the polished aluminum look, I might consider doing the secondary compressor housing also? That would make a nice matched set, IMO.

RJ
Old 03-21-2007, 09:37 AM

Originally Posted by Diesel-Dan
scin*til*lat*ing -- (Adjective)
Dazzlingly Impressive
Possessing or displaying dazzling liveliness, cleverness or wit.

Apparently Mike forgot who his target audience is........
It's an inflected form of an intransitive verb rooted in the Latin "scintilla", which means sparkle; except when conjucted as an adjective in reference to a person's mental machinations - scintillating is normally understood to describe the visual appearance of a wide variety of objects/surfaces, though normally metal would be the most common descriptee (at least in the colloquial vernacular)...

You guys make me feel like such a NERD!

Originally Posted by RowJ
Had to look it up, did we? Or was that from memory.... just to help out others? )

RJ
BTW Roland - thanks a bunch for putting me on Micah's dyno list.

Originally Posted by bnold
Interesting... What kind of clear would be recommended to keep it from turning colors??
Clear powdercoating or clear anodizing would be great.
Spray-bombing clear enamel would work fine and be the preferred low-buck method - that's what I did to all of the naked aluminum I put on the GTO's engine and the Bling still blings...
Old 03-21-2007, 09:40 AM

If you're going to do more than one piece of aluminum in a matched set, you might consider getting them all tumbled together in your choice of media for a homogenous look!
Old 03-21-2007, 09:55 AM

If you're going to do more than one piece of aluminum in a matched set, you might consider getting them all tumbled together in your choice of media for a homogenous look!
You might want to define Homogenous for Tyler.....because he is looking at this screen right now laughing like "Bevis and Butthead" with his shirt half wayover his head.......
Old 03-21-2007, 10:03 AM

Well, Tyler is definitely NOT homogenous... Heather is proof of that!
Old 03-21-2007, 11:01 AM

...Rowland - thanks a bunch for putting me on Micah's dyno list.
Your welcome!

I sent e-mail copy to those I put on list. No name is etched in stone.... so no problem if I got it wrong. We can add, subtract, change, etc. Just trying to be truculantly perspicuous (got that Dan??)

RJ

Quick Reply: TXDTR#8 (North Texas DTR) April Meet