HELP! If you have an EMERGENCY situation with your truck, or you need IMMEDIATE technical help, use this board.

Winterizing Novice need help

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2002, 09:35 AM
Top's Younger Twin

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Re:Winterizing Novice need help

Hey all you folks from Manitoba...we have Alberta and Saskatchewan covered for registering as DTR Chapters. Heck theres as many in MB as there are in Sk right now. <br>Would any of you be interested in getting it set up?<br><br>Back to the CCcCCcOOoooooOLD winter stuff. I grew up in Saskatchewan and in 90 or 91 we saw record breaking cold and record breaking wind chills. I believe it was Broadview Saskatchewan that holds the record for the coldest temp with wind chill.... -101F !!!!! BRRRR I had a 2 wheel drive 90 Ram one ton dually then and I had a 90 gallon slip tank in the bed as well as my hitch, tire chains, extra spare, bigger jack and two sand bags. That was just the right amount of weight to put some traction to the Yokohama grips I had on the back. You'll be ok with the 4x2, I only bought a 4x4 in 97' because of resale here and all the others were 4x2. I do not know how I got along with just 4x2 now as I have my truck in 4x4 today. :'( Ice and snow here last night.<br><br>Keep us posted on your adventure ;D<br><br>Scotty
Old 11-13-2002, 11:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

They do make a propane fired block heater which works real well. I dont know how much or where to get one but i am sure an internet search will find one. Also you live on a military base adding some jet fuel to your tank will work as an anti gel just add some automatic transmission fluid for a lubricant the jet fuel doesnt have enough for the injector pump. 1 quart per 10-15 gallons. keep in mind it will die it red but in alaska in the winter i dont think they check for red dye fuel.
Old 11-13-2002, 09:40 PM

Propane block heaters do not work in extreme cold weather the propane will gel and can explode. Espar heaters that use diesel work good. If you use a force air heater becareful as it will melt the plastic that is in your truck. Your local PX or Bx gas station has every thing you need at a good price. Besure and get good tires with studs, and slow down your brakes are not your friends.
Old 11-15-2002, 12:22 PM

and center the weight between the wheel wells for optimum performance
Old 11-17-2002, 09:00 AM

A buddy of mine loaded 15 railway ties. Traction was fine, but when he rolled that puppy they came up front to say hello. An old guy here in town built a sand bos with two sheets of half inch plywood with 2x4s on edge around the perimeter. Filled it with sand and put on the top sheet. Fairly cheap and the weight is distributed. And the sand is contained so it doen't take care of the paint on the cab's trailing edge. But your box is 4.5 inches shallower. For traction, mine is single wheels so it bites better anyway, but I try to carry my Arctic Cat and sundry other stuff to about 1000 lbs. 50 of those lbs are Qualisorb. Handy for under tires when you do get stuck. And I always slip it out of gear when trying to stop for that sign at the end of the icy stuff. With the weight of the CTD on the steering axle and the light load in back, the front tires are sliding and the rears are still driving if you don't. (rear antilock brakes can be a pain) Glad to be of some help. Rick
Old 11-18-2002, 11:02 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Hey Greatwhite, let us know about that thermostat. My truck makes lousy heat in 40* weather. I just had everything apart and cant find anything wrong. My temp stays at 170*. new thermostat. ?? DAVE
Old 11-30-2002, 07:06 AM

A few winter tips from the artic part of Norway. <br>Use a block heater. Always put on a new fuelfilter in the fall, and keep a spare one in the truck. In Alaska they have good fuel in the winter, or they might run jet fuel with lubricants. Ask the gas station about how cold their fuel will be ok, they know what blend they are pumping. (If not; buy fuel some other place.) <br>With a dually, who says you have to run all the tires? If you arnt lugging a lot of weight, take of the inner daulies. That together with a good weight in the bed should keep you in motion. Use a tire like the Cooper discoverer M+S with lots of seiping, soft rubber in the cold, and stud them to the max. The studs wount fly of on hard roads. Just dirve them a litle easy til they settle in after 500 km. If you run dualies on the rear, dont stud the outer tires, and bring chains for them. They are easy to put on a dually, just run the inner tires opp on blocks and its a beeze to put them on. <br><br>The real trick to driving in the winter with a 2x4 dually is in the way you as a driver handle your truck. Take it easy. Your heavy and need some lenght to stop. Run curves easy, and dont powersteer til you get the hang of it. Never get your trucks heavy diesel nose down in a tight spot where you are forced to back out, always the outher way around. <br><br>You have a great truck for the winter if you use it sanely.<br><br>