1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

1st Gen Novice needs help from the pro's

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2013, 07:37 PM
Administrator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
1st Gen Novice needs help from the pro's

Finally got my motor for the wood processor, but there are some things I'd like to know before I go ripping and tearing things apart. I know these are probably mundane questions for those of you that are familiar with these, but I'm not one of them and any help would be greatly appreciated! This was in a '90 W350.

Name:  6BTCummins_zpsb6d5ec90.jpg
Views: 242
Size:  106.2 KB
Old 04-26-2013, 07:47 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
A.)KSB

Yes, cold starts. Changes timing. Do NOT put blue wire to ground. You can toggle switch it 12V (hot wire) for cold starts.

B.) Two bolts remove the pump. Gear is helical and will come right out attached to pump after you take the 2 bolts out. Does not drive anything else. You will need to block off hole or just leave the pump and let it spin.
Old 04-26-2013, 08:09 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by TIMMY22
A.)KSB

Yes, cold starts. Changes timing. Do NOT put blue wire to ground. You can toggle switch it 12V (hot wire) for cold starts.

B.) Two bolts remove the pump. Gear is helical and will come right out attached to pump after you take the 2 bolts out. Does not drive anything else. You will need to block off hole or just leave the pump and let it spin.
Wow, that was fast! Thanks!
Old 04-26-2013, 09:50 PM
Administrator

Received 232 Likes on 161 Posts
What is a wood processor, something like a woodchuck?

Are you replacing a Cummins or some other form of power?

Does the speed need to be governed precisely?

Looks like it lived at the beach for awhile.

Jim
Old 04-26-2013, 10:18 PM

Jim, a processor cuts to length and splits wood. He's building it.
Old 04-26-2013, 10:24 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by Jim Lane
What is a wood processor, something like a woodchuck?
Mine will be very similar to this one, only a little bigger/faster. According to my calculations, it should do about 4 cords per hour.

Are you replacing a Cummins or some other form of power?
Nope, building from scratch.

Does the speed need to be governed precisely?
Not precisely, no. I'd like it to stay around 1800 RPM's if I can do it. I'm assuming these motors from the trucks have no governor, but I'm hoping that since I need only about 70HP, the 160 the motor puts out won't place so much of a strain on it that it will drastically reduce the RPM's. If I can set it to 2000RPM's and the load drags it down to 1800, that's fine. However, if you have a governor solution, I'm all ears!

Looks like it lived at the beach for awhile.
Nope, spent it's whole life here in Michigan.
Old 04-26-2013, 10:28 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by NE frmhnd
Jim, a processor cuts to length and splits wood. He's building it.
What HE ↑ ↑ ↑ said!
Old 04-26-2013, 10:31 PM

Received 1,332 Likes on 862 Posts
Yes these motors have a governor. The factory spring is set to about 2500 RPM. You can pin the throttle and it will start to cut the fuel off around 2300 and then will not rev past about 2500.

The best fuel consumption for these motors...the sweet spot...is from about 1750-2100 rpm.
Old 04-26-2013, 10:38 PM
I grad-u-ated frum Claudes skool of tpying....

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ok mr scott .. ic an give a little info here..on the farm we had a timber harvester with a 4 banger perkins non turbo i found that for me itd run best around 2200-2300 rpm becouse then it wouldnt bog down as much as it would if set at 1800 rpm with the 5.9 the govaner in the pump along with the turbo should keep it from really bogging down at all ,also are putting a bar and chain on for the length cut or are you going with swing saw?
Old 04-27-2013, 06:16 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by thrashingcows
Yes these motors have a governor. The factory spring is set to about 2500 RPM. You can pin the throttle and it will start to cut the fuel off around 2300 and then will not rev past about 2500.

The best fuel consumption for these motors...the sweet spot...is from about 1750-2100 rpm.
I knew they had a rev limiting governor, but I didn't think they had a governor that would hold the RPM wherever you set it.

Originally Posted by twichit
ok mr scott .. ic an give a little info here.. are putting a bar and chain on for the length cut or are you going with swing saw?
Thanks for the info! And I'll be using a 32" bar.
Old 04-27-2013, 10:17 AM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Correct me if I'm wrong but the non IC Trucks KSB should be hot while key is on. So he should run constant 12v to it?

Originally Posted by TIMMY22
A.)KSB

Old 04-27-2013, 12:07 PM

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts
Originally Posted by oly_fab
Correct me if I'm wrong but the non IC Trucks KSB should be hot while key is on. So he should run constant 12v to it?
True, that picture looks like the early KSB with the longer solenoid. They are backward from the later ones in that they remove power from the solenoid when cold, and apply power when warm.
Old 04-27-2013, 02:06 PM

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by oly_fab
do NOT just let the P/S pump spin, unless you run a line from the pressure out let to the return hose nipple and put ps fluid in the pump, otherwise the pump WILL burn up, lock up and cause a bunch of nasty things to happen. best to remove the pump and bolt a cover plate on the back of the timing case. cut a plate from 10 or 12 ga sheet metal, drill two holes, clean the plate and timing case with acetone or brake kleener, run a bead of red or black silicone, and bolt`er on. done !! one less thing to worry `bout !!!!
Old 04-27-2013, 02:49 PM

Received 2,401 Likes on 1,583 Posts
So the NON I/Ced trucks should have hot key on power to the KSB all the time?
My white '85 crew I just swapped using a '89 12V, I just have hot key on power to the FSS.
I don't have the KSB hooked up at all right now.
Old 04-27-2013, 03:23 PM

Received 209 Likes on 152 Posts
Originally Posted by chaikwa
I knew they had a rev limiting governor, but I didn't think they had a governor that would hold the RPM wherever you set it.
I'd be willing to bet that it'll be good enough for you to use a set and lock throttle cable on it. If it's a little too wild, you can change the governor spring for a lighter one and get the rpm to limit where you want it.

Or you could run it at 2500 and go for 6 cords/hour.

Quick Reply: 1st Gen Novice needs help from the pro's