HELP! If you have an EMERGENCY situation with your truck, or you need IMMEDIATE technical help, use this board.

Valve clearance troubles...

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2003, 12:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Valve clearance troubles...

Greetings everyone,<br><br>I decided to reset my valve clearance on my 1st. Gen last Friday with that Cummins 6 in-lb torque driver. I am having great difficulty getting the tool to work properly, maybe I am doing something wrong? I don't know ??? Here's what happens...I remove the valve covers, bar the engine into position, loosen the locknut on the rocker arm, and place the proper feeler gauge between the valve stem &amp; rocker arm assembly. I then use the Cummins torque driver fitted with a large slotted screw driver bit, and gently turn the set screw until the driver &quot;clicks&quot;. Sound good, right?...Here's the problem, by the time the torque driver &quot;clicks&quot; (which usually takes 3-5 turns before the resistance was great enough to release the clicking mechcanism) the valve &amp; spring assembly is pushed down 1/16&quot; to 3/32&quot;, and the feeler gauge is next to impossible to remove without the assistance of a mechcanical gripping device.<br><br>I have no idea what I could be doing wrong . Maybe my valve springs are worn out? Maybe the torque driver is defective? Maybe the valves are just that far out of adjustment? I paid darn close to $60 for the torque driver, it kinda seems like I got &quot;hosed&quot; &gt;.<br><br>Any information, or advise would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.<br><br>Respectfully,<br><br>Nicholas R. Gajewski
Old 01-06-2003, 06:31 AM
Administrator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re:Valve clearance troubles...

When I set them on my first two 12 valvers, I just used feel when tightening up the screw. It just takes a very light touch. You're not trying to move anything here, just set a clearance. Then hold the screw in place and gently tighten up the nut with the feeler in place. That way you can double check to make sure the screw didn't turn. I would try it that way and chunk the torque handle but that's just me speaking.
Old 01-06-2003, 11:45 AM

Do it like DieselDude says. Don't torque down on your feeler gauge.
Old 01-06-2003, 01:57 PM

Good afternoon everyone,<br><br>Thank you for the advise on setting valve clearance. I did eventually set the valve clearance by hand/feel so to speak. I hate setting valves clearance by hand . I can never get all the valves absolutely perfect. There's always a few valves that are too tight or too loose. Anyways, I think I got the valves adjusted fairly close. The engine seems to run fine, and no noticeable abnormal noises.<br><br>Obviously, 6in-lbs is way too much preload on the feeler gauge. Maybe that tool is ment to be used on large 24-Valve diesel engines like the ISB, ISC, M11, N14, and so on? <br><br>IMHO, the only way possible to adjust proper valve clearance with any extreme precision, is to purchase one of those adjustable &quot;in-oz torque drivers&quot; for $350-$400...ouch ! <br><br>When I set my valve clearance by hand, I did notice that a person could apply the proper amount of feeler gauge preload just by gently turning the set screw with one's fingers. This is what lead me to the &quot;in-oz torque driver&quot; idea. Whether or not the &quot;in-oz driver&quot; idea would work, I don't know ???...I don't have the $350-$400 to find out. If it would work, it sure would save me a ton of time.<br><br>Well thanks again for the advise.<br><br>Respectfully,<br><br>Nicholas R. Gajewski
Old 01-06-2003, 02:02 PM
Administrator / Scooter Bum

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts

Don't worry Nicholas.....after you've done it the first few hundred times, you'll develop a feel for it. ;D
Old 01-06-2003, 03:01 PM
Chapter President

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think your fingers are the best calibration for the valve set anyway.. The real tough part is holding the screw in place while you torque the lock nut. This is where you run into trouble, if the nut hangs on the threaded shaft at all you can tighten the clearance when you lock the nut.<br><br>Always use the two handed technique with an closed ended wrench.. By this I mean when you get the right preload with your fingers, lock the nut with your fingers too leaving the feeler gauge in place. Then put the closed end over the nut and use a big screwdriver to hold the adjuster in the exact position you want while tightening the nut. Then pull out the feeler, this will tell you if you did turn the adjuster when you tightened the nut. I usually have to do this a couple times to get the right load on the feeler.<br><br>After you have done that, then you can torque the lock nuts, but I typically don't. They don't have to be super tight either, remember the rockers aren't make of titianium..LOL...You can strip the thread in the rocker with enough torque on the lock nut.<br><br>Its all experience. More times you do it the better. <br><br>J-eh
Old 01-07-2003, 05:49 AM

There is a pretty good bit of leeway in the adjustment of the valves so if you go midrange on the adjustment, even if you are off a few mm the adjustment is fine.<br><br>I've read where one owner uses a dial caliper to do the adjustment. If you want precision and can figure out how to do it that way, the dial caliper is probably the most accurate adjustment you can get.
Old 01-09-2003, 01:21 PM

Greetings,<br><br>Can some explain how to set valve clearance using the &quot;companion cylinder&quot; method?<br><br>I would also appreciate some information how to set valve clearance using the &quot;cross-over method&quot;.<br><br>Which valve cleaance method would yield the most accurate results?<br><br>Any information would be greatly appreciated.<br><br>Thank you,<br><br>Nicholas R. Gajewski
Old 01-09-2003, 07:33 PM

Hey Smoke Dog,<br> I don't want to be critical of anything, but being off &quot;a few mm's&quot; would not be too good, as 1 mm = .03937, and the lash is .010 &amp; .020, right
Old 01-10-2003, 09:22 AM

I USE A DIAL INDICATOR TO SET VALVE CLEARANCES. THIS METHOD IS VERY ACCURATE, BECAUSE IT ALLOWS FOR ANY WEAR ON THE ROCKER ARM, WHERE IT PUSHES ON THE VALVE STEM. BUT YOU MUST REMEMBER THAT ANY TOOL IS NO MORE ACCURATE THAN THE HANDS THAT USE IT!<br> BIG MIKE<br>
Old 01-10-2003, 11:50 AM
Administrator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just remember, you're not setting up outer space saturn rocket booster clearances here. We lap seal faces down the the nearest light band for a proper seal here at work. That kind of precision is not required in what you are doing. Maybe if you are trying to get 600 horse power, it would make a difference. If you go with a very light drag and double check the drag after tightening the nut and it is the same, you are fine.<br><br>Joel
Old 01-10-2003, 03:10 PM
Chapter President

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

[quote author=Nicholas link=board=13;threadid=9251;start=0#90318 date=1042140081]
Greetings,

Can some explain how to set valve clearance using the &quot;companion cylinder&quot; method?

I would also appreciate some information how to set valve clearance using the &quot;cross-over method&quot;.

Which valve cleaance method would yield the most accurate results?

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

Nicholas R. Gajewski
[/quote]

Nicholas,

The companion or cross over technique are one in the same.

Basically here is how it goes. The engine cylinders are on the crank shaft in 6 throws but, 2 cylinders are at top dead center at the same time. These companions or running mates are 1 crankshaft revolution out of phase.

The running mates are 1 &amp; 6 , 2 &amp; 5 and 3 &amp; 4. IE. When #1 is at TDC, #6 is also at TDC, but one is on compression, one is on exhaust.

Now you want to set the valve lash at TDC on compression stroke. The running mate or companion is going to be at TDC on the exhaust/intake stroke or the crossover.

So as you are barring the engine over for cylinder #1 TDC for example you are looking at cylinder #6 rocker arms. When the exhaust valve is closing and the intake is just opening, your at at Crossover and pretty near TDC on cylinder #1. Set the valve lash. Now on to cylinder #5. Watching cylinder #2 for cross over, bar the engine. At cross over stop. Set clearances on #5. and etc through the firing order of 1 - 5 - 3 - 6 - 2 - 4.

I hope this helps out.. This is the way I have done it on many engines, not just my Cummins. It takes a little more barring over, but I preferr this method to the one in the book.

J-eh
Old 01-11-2003, 12:03 AM

Greetings everyone,<br><br>Thank you for all the great information! ;D<br><br>BIG MIKE, I am interested in your dial indicator method. Can you tell me what kind of dial indicator &amp; accessory attachments (I.E. magnetic bases, extension arms, and so on.) I should purchase. I would like to learn more about where the dial indicator can be fixed on to the engine, and provide an accurate measurement. Do you place the dial indicator base onto the exhaust manifold or some other solid object, and use an extension arm to bring the dial indicator portion to the rocker lever? What is your procedure for making the clearance adjustments?<br><br>Lil Dog, I just need to make sure I understand the cross-over procedure correctly.<br><br>Definition of cross-over: occurs when the exhaust valve fully closes, and the intake valve just begins to open.<br><br>Alright, to adjust valve clearance on Cylinder #1, a person should watch for the valves on #6 to cross-over.<br><br>To adjust the valve clearance on Cylinder #6, a person should watch for the valves on #1 to cross-over.<br><br>To adjust the valve clearance on Cylinder #5, a person should watch for the valves on #2 to cross-over.<br><br>To adjust the valve clearance on Cylinder #2, a person should watch for the valves on #5 to cross-over.<br><br>To adjust the valve clearance on Cylinder #3, a person should watch for the valves on #4 to cross-over.<br><br>To adjust the valve clearance on Cylinder #4, a person should watch for the valves on #3 to cross-over.<br><br>Please correct me if I misunderstood the procedure.<br><br><br>Any additional information would be greatly appreciated.<br><br><br>Thank you,<br><br>Nicholas R. Gajewski
Old 01-11-2003, 09:40 AM

<br> Nicholas,<br> Using a dial indicator to set vale clearance is very accurate and simple. First of all, get you cylinder/valve position correct for the valve you are adjusting. Attach a dial indicator to a convenient and stable part or the engine. Note: there are both magnetic and clamp type indicators. One type may suit you better than the other. Keep the mounting as stable as possible by keeping the length of the linkage short. Place the push rod of the indicator on top of the rocker, directly over the valve stem. Next, loosen the rocker lock nut, and turn the adjuster to where you have the proper clearance between the rocker and the valve stem. This can be read by moving the free movement of the rocker. When the clearance is correct, torgue the lock nut and recheck the clearance. This removes any &quot;feel or guess &quot;work from the proceedure. This a generic instruction. You will need to do this proceedure in the way it applies to your Cummins.<br> The 6 in. lb. tool you are speaking was originally designed to be used on Cummins Top Stop Injectors in the 1980&quot;s. These injectors had a zero clearance and this tool is a quick way to determine that. I was involved in testing of this tool, and in my opinion, it was great. Hope this helps! Happy adjusting!<br> BIG MIKE
Old 01-11-2003, 11:09 AM

<br> Nicholas,<br> Drive to my shop, and I will help you set your valves for free!<br> ;D BIG MIKE