HELP! If you have an EMERGENCY situation with your truck, or you need IMMEDIATE technical help, use this board.

overflow valve dumb question

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2004, 07:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
overflow valve dumb question

this is my really rumb question of the day

okay so I am trying to track a low fuel pressure problem. UPS man delivered my new one from Marty Tompkins. How do I install this thing, I got 2 washers both the same size where do they go I can see one makes sense but where does the second go, behind the banjo bolt I guess?
Old 07-09-2004, 10:51 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Simple, remove the old one, put in the new one, don't lose the washers in the process by stuffing a rag below. 3/4'' or 19mm wrench. Sometimes the the valve hits the intake before it will come out, don't bend the line, instead file or grind the cutout area were it hits.

oil fill cap, bottom left
Old 07-10-2004, 10:00 AM

yeah I have had the stocker off a few times I just never disturbed the line enough to unseat the inner washer. I am a bit suprised though that the new washers are not copper as every other banjo bolt I have seen uses copper washers. This should take less than 5 minutes grinding aside.
Old 07-10-2004, 10:43 PM

Keep your old overflow in the truck I just had my second one blow out the ball in the end and man does it leak the fuel I am begining to wonder about those overflow valves. Seems like it might be worth buying the more exspensive ones from piers I am getting paranoid running Marty's.
Old 07-11-2004, 12:32 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Marty must have gotten a bad batch or something else is going on. Several friends, customers and I have been running Marty's OF valves for well over a year to some less than a month. The only complaints I've heard have been a couple here.
Perhaps you have something else going on that contributes to the problem. Do you monitor FP all the time? Is it normal?
If you have a kinked return line it's possible to overpressurize the system, it could be the cause.
Old 07-11-2004, 01:40 AM

I've had one of Marty's in for about 4 months. Mines working fine, no leaks.
Old 07-11-2004, 09:39 AM

okay got it in last night in about 10 minutes actually didn't have to grind anything. here is my question I do now have fuel pressure it seams it is high now. sits about 30 at idle will go up around 35 at 2000 rpm but if I nail it it does drop to around 30 again. other very weird thing is if I cam cruising with the cruise on and come to a stop the pressure will rise to as high as about 40 and it will almost want to 'high idle' (around 16-1700 rpm) as I slow down. So which of these attributes are normal and what is not? I really do appreciate all the help guys I have wrenched on a lot of vehicles and I understand diesel in theory but am still new to their little quirks.
Old 07-11-2004, 11:39 PM

Originally posted by infidel
Marty must have gotten a bad batch or something else is going on. Several friends, customers and I have been running Marty's OF valves for well over a year to some less than a month. The only complaints I've heard have been a couple here.
Perhaps you have something else going on that contributes to the problem. Do you monitor FP all the time? Is it normal?
If you have a kinked return line it's possible to overpressurize the system, it could be the cause.

Infidel, It was on two different customers trucks not mine the one I put in mine is fine with no leaks. The one I put in the other day did not make it five miles before it blew.