HELP! If you have an EMERGENCY situation with your truck, or you need IMMEDIATE technical help, use this board.

OH DARN......Please help!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2002, 01:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
OH DARN......Please help!!!!

Ok here is what happened....For whatever reason i decided i was gonna take my fuel plate out just to test it out and see what kinda power it made. Well job completed successfully and let it warm up and then took it easy on it for the first mile or so...then came to a redlight with no one around and decided to test it out!!! So just eased through 1st and then when i shifted to second I got on it and oh dang it was pretty rediculous for about 3 seconds then &quot;POP POP&quot;...It backfired and shut off... So got it into a parking lot came here asked around on chat.. Checked the rack in the fuel pump didnt know what i was lookin at really but looked normal and i heard if the rack was locked up i probably would not be able to put teh plate back in so i tried and sure enough the plate went back in smoothly and so i left it in and tried to start it....Nothing it just cranked and cranked (cranking good and strong though)..Checked for antifreeze in the oil and none there looked good and no leaks of any sort anywhere...so then unbolted #1 injector line and tried to start it and sure enough there was fuel pumpin out of it so seemed to be getting fuel all the way through the fuel system... primed the fuel system and still nothing no starting just cranking and evry now and then if you pumped the GO pedal it would sputter like it tried to start but just for like a second. But it never did start...If anyone has any ideas on what could be wrong please help my truck is parked about a mile from where i am staying and i am staying about 50 miles from home right now and have to be at work on sunday evening any help would be MUCH MUCH appreciated! ??? <br>thank you <br>Ian :'(
Old 10-25-2002, 02:05 AM
Muted User

Re:OH DARN......Please help!!!!

Try cranking the engine while the injector line is disconnected and see if it squirts diesels or just drips. If it's squirting pretty good then it should fire right up. I can't really think of what anything in particular. Maybe check and make sure your fuel shutoff solenoid is letting fuel through. You could be priming the system and the engine almost starting... only to starve of fuel once it's trying to get going.
Old 10-25-2002, 02:19 AM

it wasnt exactly squirting a stream or anything but it covered my hand in #2 pretty quik but definately not a stream <br><br>What is the fuel solenoid is it the cylinder looking thing with wires goin in the top...its right by the fuel plate??
Old 10-25-2002, 06:17 AM

from what i understand the fuel pressure coming out of the injector line should be so high it will put your eye out! be careful.<br><br>sorry but i cant think of anything.
Old 10-25-2002, 06:19 AM

I will guess that you should check the fuel solenoid also, especially since you just moved it around doing the plate. The solenoid is mounted on the bracket that is attached to the bottom two screws on the AFC housing covering the plate. Check the wires; turn the key on, and lift the bottom lever of the solenoid up to see whether it clicks in. Make sure that the little cotter clip is engaged in the shut-off lever.
george
Old 10-25-2002, 07:49 AM

BREAK OFF SCREW???????????<br><br>WE DONT NEED NO STINKING BREAK OFF SCREW!!!!!!!!!! <br><br>sorry bro., i couldnt resist!! hope you get it fixed before i get up there. if not, ill help ya.
Old 10-26-2002, 04:02 AM

I've read where others had their pump timing slip. The gear is not keyed and is subject to slipping if all factors aren't right (Proper torque, Completely oil free shaft when installing and torquing gear,etc.). You did mention two pops and backfiring that may be timing related.<br><br>I would rethink running without a plate. I know of respected guys with strong knowledge about our P-7100 pumps who strongly advise against running with no pump plate. Runs the risk of breaking some $3 pin that can do about $1000 worth of damage.<br><br>Good luck ....<br><br>Jerry<br><br><br>
Old 10-28-2002, 08:26 AM

thank you guys for all your help i Talked to Dave and Brian Mitchell of Enterprise Engines and they both felt strongly that it was indeed the timing........I took it to BMD and they were exactly right it was the timing! Now thanks to the fellas at BMD the timing is fixed plus advanced a few degrees ;D 8) thanks to everyone for helpin out!<br>Ian