HELP! If you have an EMERGENCY situation with your truck, or you need IMMEDIATE technical help, use this board.

Help Please!

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2009, 03:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It could be anything , including chicken little falling from the sky .
The point being , testing is how to fix things , guess what to test after a good description of symptoms .
Just because you get a code number does not mean that is what is wrong , a code is where the computer program is picking up an anomaly [ something that the computer see's that does not make sense to it ] .
That is just where you start testing .
You should also tell where your at , you may find that a member is in your area and willing to help .
With the noise & performance issue , possibly a intake boot popped off , has anything been done to it recently ?
Old 02-17-2009, 05:52 PM

On a 99 you have a crank shaft position sensor. I believe it is located near the starter.
Old 02-18-2009, 12:34 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by RAM2940
On a 99 you have a crank shaft position sensor. I believe it is located near the starter.
He threw that pass incomplete on the first post.... Now the "parts guy" wants to sell him a cam sensor.

Pull a fuel sample yet? Ya never know till you look.

Lift pump putting out any volume? That can be done for as cheap as looking at the fuel.

I'm thinking (yes....stand back this can be dangerous) that a scan tool could be of some importance at this time.

I'm going "all in" and saying he needs a VP!
Old 02-18-2009, 07:52 AM

Originally Posted by tomsfarm
yes, I do appreciate any and all help youns can offer. Do youns agree that that may be what it is? Thanks.
( It did show up on the code reader )
Youns. You have to be from dontawn. (or very very close.) I honestly never seen youns written. So now i know how to spell it. Anyway, what was the code(s) that were shown.
Old 02-18-2009, 08:30 AM
Chapter President

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by J BODY
He threw that pass incomplete on the first post.... Now the "parts guy" wants to sell him a cam sensor.

Lift pump putting out any volume? That can be done for as cheap as looking at the fuel.

I'm thinking (yes....stand back this can be dangerous) that a scan tool could be of some importance at this time.

That has my vote. Mine had the rough idle and no power when the VP croaked. Sure hope it is something much more simple and less expensive.
Old 02-18-2009, 08:42 AM

cam sensor is about 4 or 5 oclock behind inj pump mounted to timing cover housing. hope this helps
Old 02-18-2009, 02:07 PM

I guess what i was saying is that i thought a 99 did not have a cam sensor it has a crank sensor.
Old 02-18-2009, 03:46 PM

Originally Posted by Pirate
rattlerbob5.9, you are correct in that any type of air leak will not fix itself. My thinking was along the lines that when "it ran fine for a while" it was not under load during that time and "appeared" to run fine. I'm sure he appreciates all of the information we can send including your input to find the real problem. All we can do is offer whatever information we as individuals feel may be helpful. That is what makes this site so great.
I agree i am not an EXPERT if we all read think and listen we will learn together.
Always start with the basic's and work up from there.
Old 02-18-2009, 04:05 PM

Originally Posted by J BODY

I totally agree with you here Jay i thought from the first post the end result would be the need for a VP-44 but just as you described check the fuel quality and supply first then move on to any codes which is the methods i had suggested as well .

How are you doing these days my friend ?? I am still very happy with what i picked up out your way last year.
You and Mark are always in my thoughts -also great guys and fellow members here.
Old 02-18-2009, 08:55 PM

Please correct me if I'm wrong but if the VP-44 was going out that would mean not getting enough fuel. The black smoke is usually caused by to much fuel to air mixture and not burning completly. When my VP-44 was on it's way out I didn't get excessive black smoke, just the dead pedal syndrom. I can't give any input on the crank/cam sensor since I never had any experience with issues there. I did have a boot blow out and the VP-44 die on my old '99 2500. As stated, start with the simple and easy to check items and work your way through eliminating these first.