HELP! If you have an EMERGENCY situation with your truck, or you need IMMEDIATE technical help, use this board.

Help Please!

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2009, 07:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help Please!

I have a 1999 Dodge, ton dually, 4x4, cummins diesel. I had a weird thing happen yesterday. I was driving down the road, and it felt almost like I hit something, but I didnt. Then it went to smoking real bad, then it cleared up and ran fine for a little while. Now it won't run at all. It's like it won't accelerate, and it runs real rough. I replaced the crank position sensor thinking it might help, but it didn't. I replaced the fuel filter , and it didn't fix it either. I really need to get this fixed, Any ideas?? Thanks.
Old 02-13-2009, 07:51 PM
Cummins Guru

Received 64 Likes on 44 Posts
Need to have scan for any codes present.
Old 02-13-2009, 07:52 PM

When it smokes is what color is it? If it blows black smoke when under any kind of load and has no acceleration that could be an indication it is not getting enough air for the amount of fuel. Did it cut off completely or just won't run well?
Old 02-13-2009, 08:00 PM

Key cycle does not work on '99. You will need a code reader to get codes.
Old 02-14-2009, 07:37 AM

It will set there and idle, real rough, but you can't drive it, because it won't accelerate. Any ideas? what would it do, if it did blow an injector?
thanks
Old 02-14-2009, 07:49 AM

Have you checked your fuel pressure or fuel flow to injection pump.
Old 02-14-2009, 07:55 AM
Banned

any visible oil on front lower section of motor ? what year does kdp affect, too early to remember.
Old 02-14-2009, 08:10 AM

When it first did it, and it smoked real bad, the smoke was black. I am going to check the fuel tank vent, and see if it might be stopped up. Think that might be it?? Yes, there is visible oil on the front lower section of motor, but it's been doing that awhile, it didn't just start that yesterday when all this happened. thanks.
Old 02-14-2009, 12:39 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by tomsfarm
When it first did it, and it smoked real bad, the smoke was black. I am going to check the fuel tank vent, and see if it might be stopped up. Think that might be it?? Yes, there is visible oil on the front lower section of motor, but it's been doing that awhile, it didn't just start that yesterday when all this happened. thanks.
The first thing to check for is fuel pressure are you still running the stock lift pump ?? Then check your turbo and see if everything looks ok in there -no oil ,spins freely, not a lot of shaft play side to side can't hit the housing some end play is ok. If this shows nothing then get the codes checked and let us know what it says.
Old 02-14-2009, 02:21 PM

could he have blown an intercooler, or a boot?
Old 02-14-2009, 03:48 PM

Originally Posted by 2stroke
could he have blown an intercooler, or a boot?
Blown boot and it would not clear up and run correctly on it's own for a while like he said in the 1st post. It would blow black and have very low power all the time with a blown boot or I.C.
Old 02-15-2009, 06:11 PM

I agree with 2stroke, a blown boot or I.C. would allow it to appear to run good except under load. Makes a big boom when it blows. Something easy to check before getting too deep.
Old 02-15-2009, 08:08 PM

Originally Posted by Pirate
I agree with 2stroke, a blown boot or I.C. would allow it to appear to run good except under load. Makes a big boom when it blows. Something easy to check before getting too deep.
I would agree with both of you on some of what you are thinking except it would be constant and never correct itself as he described.
Like you said (a boot letting go) that could be what he was describing when he said "i felt like i hit something"

But then again later on he says "then it cleared up and ran fine for a little while" With a boost leak it should idle ok but be a dog and smoke black under any load every time-he also says "it is running rough"

I have NEVER SEEN a boot blow off,intercooler leak or boost leak of any kind ever FIX ITSELF.

Not trying to start a war here just pointing out the facts as i see them to help all involved.
Old 02-16-2009, 06:38 PM

rattlerbob5.9, you are correct in that any type of air leak will not fix itself. My thinking was along the lines that when "it ran fine for a while" it was not under load during that time and "appeared" to run fine. I'm sure he appreciates all of the information we can send including your input to find the real problem. All we can do is offer whatever information we as individuals feel may be helpful. That is what makes this site so great.
Old 02-17-2009, 02:11 PM

help please

yes, I do appreciate any and all help youns can offer. Now, the guy at the part store is telling me that he thinks it's a cam shaft position sensor. Where do I find that part on the truck? Do youns agree that that may be what it is? Thanks.
( It did show up on the code reader )

Quick Reply: Help Please!