HELP! If you have an EMERGENCY situation with your truck, or you need IMMEDIATE technical help, use this board.

help!! out of gas and wont start!

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2007, 02:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
help!! out of gas and wont start!

hey everyone, my brother just ran out of gas in his 02 ctd and i know its a major pain to start a diesel once its ran totally out but after putting a few gallons in and bleading the fuel line a little to get out any air, it still wont start! is there a primer button or anything else that can be done that'll help it start back up??? any feed back would be great thanks, Colb
Old 04-17-2007, 05:24 AM

out of fuel

I;m not an expert but when I ran out, after I had all the air out of the pump and it would not go, I had to loosen off the injector nuts and have someone turn over the engine until fuel started to squirt out each line, as this happened I tightened each nut and away it went, sometimes they say they will start with out doing this but thats the only way I have had success.
Good luck, Bluenose
Old 04-17-2007, 05:58 AM

I hope your not putting GAS in a CTD... that IS what you said
Old 04-17-2007, 07:18 AM

Sometimes the system will be able to prime itsself allowing the air to get out of the system. But if there is too much air in the system, then you will have to bleed the lines I believe. Can probably get away with cracking the 5th injector,(2nd from the firewall) and working your way to the front of the engine.The engine should start to sputter when you get the 2nd last injector line bled, then when you are bleeding the first line(closest to the rad), the truck will almost start, then once you get fuel, and tighten that nut up, it should start. It will run rough for a bit but that's ok.

Good Luck
Old 04-17-2007, 07:58 AM

I have had this problem before. I would start by cracking every other injector line and then cranking. If it start tighten all lines but if it doesn't crack the other two line that you can get to and crank. It will run rough until you have all the line tightened back up. Let it run for a little while to make sure all the air is out. Then I shut it off and start it back up just to make sure. After that it should be fine.

One thing that nobody has mentioned is fuel pressure. Are you sure that the fuel pump is still working? Sometimes running out of fuel can kill a pump.
Old 04-17-2007, 08:59 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
First - your bro is lucky to have run his truck out of gas... tell him to fill it with diesel in the future - I promise it'll run better!

Seriously, though - just follow the advice for bleeding the injectors.

On your '06, however, the in-tank lift pump does a fantastic job of re-priming after total fuel depletion.
Old 04-17-2007, 08:50 PM

Happy to report that uon cracking open injectors 2,4, and 6, one at a time, we were able to get the truck started. Thanks for all the info.
Old 04-17-2007, 09:05 PM
Administrator

Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts
You only need to crack open 3 injector lines (if that is nessesary) to get our engines to restart. You only need 3 cylinders firing to be able to have your engine start. It will run rough but will smooth out as the air is purges from the remaining lines. I reccomend cracking open lines # 1, 2, and 3. Reason for those is they they alternate in the firing order, or rather they are every other cylinder in the firing order.

Firing order is 1-5-3-6-2-4.

Theory behind that is that you will have a firing cylinder driving a non firing cylinder, then another firing cylinder, etc.
Old 04-19-2007, 03:32 PM

BCSCUMMINS... HIT ME FOR POINTS CAUSE I ASKED HIM ,IF WHAT HE SAID WAS WHAT HE MEANT... THANKS BUDDY this is what he said .

"help!! out of gas and wont start!"

..and he being NEW to diesel might be a good Question.

so a person with no input is my judge...THANKS, Flip
Old 04-21-2007, 06:54 AM

My two former brother in laws did that ... they always had GASSERS... went to the same station they always did and "fillerup" with gas... that poor chevy... twice ! talk about BLACK SMOKE
Old 04-21-2007, 07:03 AM
Banned

hey at least now he knows how accurate his fuel gauge is.........
Old 04-21-2007, 05:05 PM

Mine did the same thing pro.. a week ago. I posted it in the performace. 2nd gen. as "what happened" or something like that, anyway my friends had it happened to them and they told me to take a towel and pour some GAS on it and stick it in the hole of the intake. Now hold on to it VERY Tight, and do not let it be sucked in. BAD NEWS!!! and it stared after awhile with about 5 extra gallons of diesel to the tank. But i believe i was complety out.
Hope this helps. It helped me.
Trapper.