HELP! If you have an EMERGENCY situation with your truck, or you need IMMEDIATE technical help, use this board.

HELP Fuel Filter Change Won't Start

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2004, 10:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy HELP Fuel Filter Change Won't Start

OK,

Followed the instructions to a "T". Still won't start.

I bought this truck last month and I just got my filter this last week. I plan on ordering a fuel gauge as soon as Rod gets them in ISSPRO is back ordered.

To the problem,

First I did excactly like the instructions told me, before starting I bumped the starter 6 different times to fill the canister, and bleed out the air, didn't work, and the truck wouldn't start.

So I pulled the canister back off and double checked everything to make sure that I wasn't getting air into the system anywhere. Filled the canister with fuel, bumped the starter 3 times, and it still won't start.

Cracked 1 and 3 injectors and got fuel out of 3 but not a bunch. closed #3 and left 1 open and finally got some out of it. So I went to 4 and couldn't get any fuel out of it.

Pulled the test plug off the filter and got lots of fuel out of it. Went to the VP44 and undid the banjo bolt next to the one that comes from the filter and after a bump I would only get a small drip.

Is this a week LP or is there still air in the system?

I looked for the schrader valve but with no luck, does anyone have a pic of where it is?

by the way the truck ran and started great before this.

Thanks

Wade
Old 04-30-2004, 11:34 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sounds like you got it air bound. The filter has fuel in it so the pump must be working. Put the banjo back together, it sounds like you pulled the return banjo. The one that would count would be the one that comes from the filter. Make sure you are getting fuel at the filter or by loosening the banjo from the filter. If you do, then loosen the three injectors like you did only all three of them together. Crank on it a few seconds and look to see if they are putting out fuel. When you are sure one is putting out fuel, tighten it. When you get fuel to all three of them, crank on the engine to start it. It will start with a real rough and maybe smoke for a few seconds till it purges the air from all of them.

If you are not getting fuel to the filter, you either have a leak from the change or the lift pump is bad.
Old 05-01-2004, 06:41 PM

If all you did was pull the filter and then put a new one in and are unable to get any fuel into the canister its almost a given that the lift pump is junk.

If you dont have guages I would suggest a fuel pressure guage and a new lift pump.

driving the truck with a bad lift pump is asking for trouble.

New injection pumps are 1500.00 US and up on average.

Jason
Old 05-01-2004, 10:03 PM

Well I did what HID told me and added a few steps,

started with the banjo before the filter, 1st diesel bath

then the center test port, bunch of air came out of that one,

then down to the incoming port on the VP44, 2nd diesel bath

all while 1,3,4,5 injectors were cracked, then close in order as fuel was coming out.

Finally it fired run great.

Made a trip to my Father-in-laws ( he was a diesel mech for Case) threw on a mech fuel pressure gauge and found out my lift pump is less that par.

9 at idle
6 at cruise
4-5 at WOT

now looking at my options, new lift pump or replace with somthing else.

Will be doing a lot of reading

Thanks for the help.
Old 05-01-2004, 10:44 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
IMHO you had a combination, got air in it and have a weak pump. You can just go to Cummins and get a replacement pump.
Old 05-01-2004, 11:33 PM

dc....Glad you got it running, when I changed my first fuel filter in my 98.5, I took it to my cousin's shop,so I could watch them do it and learn from the pros. Bad mistake! After changing the filter, they never bled the air out or bumped the starter, they just cranked,and cranked and cranked and cranked.... for minutes!!!Finally it started,ran like crap for a while,then smoothed out. I thought it was a strange procedure, but they assured me it was the proper way! So when it was time to do it myself,I thought there has got to be a better way....and that's how I found this wonderful site full of knowledge! Needless to say,after a few questions and some great advice, my next filter change was a snap....and no crankin
Good luck with getting a new lift pump,and I'm sure there's lots of advice here to do it properly yourself. Mark.
Old 05-03-2004, 08:46 AM

I think you are right HiD since the LP was weak I don't think it had the pressure it needed to get the air out it's self.

Well I wish that there was a Cummins place around, the nearest one is a little over 3 hours away , and I don't want to visit the dodge dealer, I can think of much better ways to be raped

moopa, that is too bad you had to learn the hard way, this site is such a big help!

Now back to my reading for more info

Thanks for the help!
Old 05-04-2004, 08:52 AM

Replaced the LP yesterday, went without a hitch, and I only droped one washer, but was able to find it easily on the driveway.

I does idle better and sounds smoother, now this weekend I will be able to find out the pressures.

UPDATE: 14 idle, 11 cruise, 9 WOT
Old 08-03-2004, 08:00 PM

1st off if you haven't ever changed your filter before and are just learning.After you have it installed you will need to loosen the line going to the VP44 injection pump until the banjo bolt is very loose,then you will need to key or bump the starter which if your transfer pump is still good will run for 30 sec.repete this procedure until you get fuel out of the fitting.Yes it will spray all over so becareful.If you don't get any fuel after 3 or 4 trys then your transfer pump is junk.If you don't hear the pump running(it runs on 12v)and your sure you have the wires connected then again the pump is junk!These pumps are sold by NAPA and are a carter pump that runs submirst in fuel and I would think would be
cheaper than the dealer.Actually you should invest in a better pump.I'm using a FASS pump and have been extreemly happy w/it
Old 08-08-2004, 06:24 PM

I have a buddy with a 2002 who is having a similar problem.. He was involved in an accident ..Transfer case, tranny, front axle and control arms, Intercooler and several smaller items were replaced.. Every since he got it back from repair shop it Idle's pretty rough and anything below 1300 rpm..Does this rough idle sound like a lift pump? And. . is the lift pump on a 2002 similar in look's and mounting location as on my 93? He say's that above 1300 rpm it seems to run fine.. it's all stock.. I'm thinking that it SETTING in a Body shop for about 2 months, that it's probly fuel related..Thanks for any input..
Old 08-08-2004, 10:21 PM

no it's not the same as a mechanical engine.It uses aplate that bolts on and covers that hole that your lift pump mounts in.Really the only way to tell if your buddy's transfer pump is junk is to put a gauge in the line between it and the injection pump(VP44).Cummins now offer's a low psi lite to tell you whether or not your pump is working for the low low price of around $200.00.
Your other option is to take to cummins and have them put the gauge on it.Diesel fuel doesn't set around well and the chances of growing alge in the tank are a possibilty.All so the o-rings on the fuel line could be sucking air and causing a problem.Hope this helps
Old 08-10-2004, 03:49 PM
Bio

I think I screwed up. I just changed my Fuel filter also and did not add any fuel to the new filter. I just put in the new one and started cranking. There is fuel in the filter now, but it won't start. I haven't cranked it for a long time, just a couple of short tries. Do I need to bleed the air, or can I crank and get it to go.
Old 08-10-2004, 04:00 PM

Bio, Go back to Haulin's reply and re-read it. There you will find the way to bleed it. You will probably have to crack the injector lines to get it to go. Just follow the instructions and you should be fine.
Tom