HELP! If you have an EMERGENCY situation with your truck, or you need IMMEDIATE technical help, use this board.

Help!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2006, 05:20 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Help!!

While changing the oil in Dad's 2001 that we just got, I was torquing the drain plug to 44 ft lbs (with an accurate torque wrench), and it stripped. The sealing shoulder broke off the plug, and it was concave like it had been really overtightened in the past. Now I can't turn the rest of the plug out of the oil pan, and we don't dare run the truck? Does the oil pan have to be replaced, and does the motor have to be lifted to clear the axle to do this? Is there another better way to fix it? Thanks!

It turns out I might be able to unscrew it so maybe I can get by with just a drain plug. Thank you
Old 01-04-2006, 05:32 AM
Chapter President

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
....I have an oil pan gasket leak, and purchased a new gasket from the local Cummins shop they asked me if I had the cherry picker ready to lift the engine to do the job ('99 2500), I'm not sure if your set up is exactly the same, but....it may be!

I never did fix that leak!
Old 01-04-2006, 02:29 PM
Chapter President

44 ft lbs? I always thought it was 22 ft lbs.
Old 01-04-2006, 03:50 PM

If I understand you right the plug broke? If that is the case, you can drill a hole in the center of it and get it out with an extractor, more commonly known as an easeout. Hopefully the threads in the pan are not damaged too bad. They make a self theading oil plug also. I have never had to use one so I can't say how effective they are. I don't know what you will run into if you have to pull the pan.
I had a Mercury Comet years ago and had a problem similar to yours. There was a little plate welded inside the pan that the plug screwed into. The tack welds broke. I jacked up the motor, pulled the pan and welded the plate back on.
Old 01-04-2006, 06:51 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
I recommend after you get the old plug out to clean the pan well and replace the plug with one of the many drain valves available gooped up with RTV.
This way you'll never have to remove the plug again.
Old 01-04-2006, 07:38 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
how about mig welding a thin pipe thread bushing over the old hole. the only issue with this would be the little bit of oil left in the pan would carmelize in the pan.
Old 01-04-2006, 07:39 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Pike
While changing the oil in Dad's 2001 that we just got, I was torquing the drain plug to 44 ft lbs (with an accurate torque wrench), and it stripped. The sealing shoulder broke off the plug, and it was concave like it had been really overtightened in the past. Now I can't turn the rest of the plug out of the oil pan, and we don't dare run the truck? Does the oil pan have to be replaced, and does the motor have to be lifted to clear the axle to do this? Is there another better way to fix it? Thanks!

It turns out I might be able to unscrew it so maybe I can get by with just a drain plug. Thank you
I did the same to mine. No big deal. I just got a new plug and washer. The threads in the oil pan are tougher than the plug threads so if something is going to strip, it'll be the plug.
I've had to change oil with those self-tapping drain plugs. No fun at all. When you get the plug a bit loose, you get 4 streams of oil spraying out. At least two find their way to your armpit.
Old 01-04-2006, 08:41 PM
RCW

Stop by a machine tool supply house and pick up a 1/4" reverse flight drill bit for you half inch drill. They work backwards from ordinary bits, and are made just for this purpose.

All you have to do with that is start drilling with your drill in reverse and the old plug will get warm and start walking right out from just the drill friction. Once it gets out far enough to grasp with a set of vice grips, pull it the rest of the way with them.

If the threads are dinged, most truck stops sell oversized drain plugs that will rethread themselves in the old hole.
Old 01-04-2006, 09:00 PM

he is right, use a left handed drill bit and it should back it right out. also if you have to tap it I like to use a little vasoline on the tap to catch the chips