HELP! If you have an EMERGENCY situation with your truck, or you need IMMEDIATE technical help, use this board.

Help Help Help

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2007, 09:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help Help Help

Hello, I am at my witts end with my 2004 Dodge CTD. Is there anyone out there that really knows these things inside and out that would take 10 minutes on the phone to talk to me. 1. Rebuilt Engine because it spun a couple bearings 2. Got it together but couldn't get fuel 3. Getting fuel now doesn't want to run 4. Now it runs and smokes like a SOB and knocks. Please help before I have someone roll this thing onto my head. If someone would be kind enough to talk to me please send me a pm.
Old 07-25-2007, 09:57 PM
Banned

You will get more responses and exposure in the 3rd gen. forum.
Sorry, I have a 97 12 valve.
People just dont look in the Help section.
Old 07-25-2007, 10:02 PM
RCW

I tried a PM, but it seemed to blow up in the process.

Here is my suggestion:

I am not really reachable by phone, I fly constantly.

But, on the 2004 (and 2003-current) it is imperative that you reflash the ECM after a rebuild. All else being equal equal, and assuming you keep a religiously clean shop and did not allow any dust near any of the open fuel lines, the injection module lost its memory when the engine was removed. Chrysler overlays a propriatary map on the Cummins ECM and it is easily corrupted and lost. The naked Cummins ECM will not function with the Chrysler PCM, so no luck just trying to run default fuel maps.

If you have a fueling box or Smarty, hook them up and set them to the stock setting and they will reflash the system to the OEM map. Follow the directions that came with either system you may have. If you do not have these, then the dealer can do the reflash.

If you allowed any open, and I do mean any - super critical issue with the common rail engine -, lines from the fuel system during the rebuild, or left the injectors or head out and exposed, then you will have to flush the system and likely replace the common rail pressure relief (on the back of the fuel pump) and have the injectors professionally cleaned and bench flowed. A three micron metallic dust particle is enough to crump an injector solenoid and/or the pressure relief valve.
Old 07-25-2007, 10:08 PM

Well shop was clean until this project and the head did stand up in the corner exposed. As far as reflash equipment I have none. I appreciate everyones help. By the way it had a steady stream of diesel coming out of the exaust. That can't be good!
Old 07-25-2007, 10:11 PM
DTR's 'Go to Guy'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Sounds like some stuck injectors or misaligned tubes? Not good either way!