HELP! If you have an EMERGENCY situation with your truck, or you need IMMEDIATE technical help, use this board.

Ford 350 powerstroke 7.3 oil pressure drops

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2006, 07:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Ford 350 powerstroke 7.3 oil pressure drops

I have a 1996 Ford diesel. I figure this is a dodge website but I need help. I can be going down the road and loose power and oil pressure. I can turn the key off and it resets the code as i am going down the road and it will be fine for a while.
Old 04-17-2006, 08:12 AM
Administrator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Welcome to the site!
While most of the folks here own the Cummins powered Rams, quite a few have had other diesels also. Hopefully someone can help you with some answers and the group of folks here on DTR are always willing to lend a helping hand. (Yeah,,,, you may get a few "sell it and buy a Cummins" comments,,,,, but it's all in good fun.)

Hope you find some answers.
Old 04-17-2006, 10:17 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
a good source for the ford/7.3/6.0 is The Diesel Stop

Sorry I can't be of more help!

Tony
Old 04-17-2006, 10:52 AM

Welcome to the DTR!
I cant really answer all of your question, but possibly help. The reason your loosing power is because the oil pressure issue. Your injectors are ran off of oil pressure. You could have a problem with the you oil pump??? Thats just and educated guess. There are some guys around here that know there way around these powerstrokes. They will chime in shortly.

Tye
Old 04-17-2006, 12:37 PM

The Ford oil gauge on the dash is an "idiot gauge". In other words its on or off, you can't go by it. First thing to check is if its FULL of oil. Need a little more info to go any farther, ie , does it die, do you get a CEL, does it start right back up(if not is the tach moving while cranking), does it start running rough or does it just shut off.
Old 04-17-2006, 02:16 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Buckshotmckee is on the right track, lorynbell1, could you give us some more details, how many miles on the truck, outside temperature, engine cooant temp, has the oil pan ever been off/replaced.

Partsman, the oil presure gauge in a ford is Not on or off, it is in fact a variable sending unit. Though, oil level is pretty important on a powerstroke.

The oil pressure sending unit is located on top of the resiovor for the high pressure oil pump(the one that provides high pressure oil for the injectors). If the main oil pump cannot keep up with the demands of the high pressure pump (it should unless something is wrong somewhere) the resivior pressure will drop and in turn your oil pressure gauge on the dash will drop also.

The problem is if oil pressure dropped, it dropped everywhere and I would be concerned about oil starvation and the bearings. Either the oil pump can't supply the resivior or something is empting the thing out quickly and when you shut the key off it has time to fill up again. If your rolling down the road in gear.

and yes I know my spelling is terrible.
Old 04-17-2006, 06:40 PM

1996 ford powerstroke 7.3

Pan has not been off. When you put the truck under a load check engine light comes on oil pressure goes to zero, loss of power, oil pressure gauge goes back to normal immediately, I turn off the key , key back on, pop the clutch, check engine light goes off and power is back to normal until it is put under a load again. Just had new oil pump put in and still doing it.
Old 04-17-2006, 11:46 PM

Originally Posted by lorynbell1
Pan has not been off. When you put the truck under a load check engine light comes on oil pressure goes to zero, loss of power, oil pressure gauge goes back to normal immediately, I turn off the key , key back on, pop the clutch, check engine light goes off and power is back to normal until it is put under a load again. Just had new oil pump put in and still doing it.
knowing the codes would help me, help you. if the check engine light comes on, you should have some codes in memory of pcm. did they or you check the oil regulator check vavle & spring when the pump was changed??????
Old 04-20-2006, 03:52 PM

hey I read somewhere that 7.3's have a problem whe their oil foams and that they need a special oil you might want to check into that sorry I can't help more