HELP! If you have an EMERGENCY situation with your truck, or you need IMMEDIATE technical help, use this board.

A/C leak

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2004, 02:05 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A/C leak

Hey yall. This isn't about my truck but it's very important. I was installing an electric fan in my roommate's truck and I accidentally poked a hall in the A/C condenser (the thing that looks like a radiator). I know where the hole is (go figure it's right behind a cross member in the front). Is there any way I can patch this leak? Or is he going to have to get a new condenser? I was thinking about shooting some caulk or similar stuff in there and let it sit over night to try and patch the hole. I was wondering if there was some stuff I could add to the system that would plug the hole up (kind of like the stuff you add to your tires to help plug small leaks). The hole is no bigger than 1/16" of an inch. Thanks a lot yall.
Old 03-19-2004, 02:47 PM

Edit due to brain fart

First is the condensor covered with a foam?
Did you go through the foam and metal?
Did the freon escape?

Don't put anything into the cooling system, this will destroy the compressor.

If the metal is pierced it is recomended to replace the condensor but I would give JBweld a try before replacing it.

just my .02
Old 03-19-2004, 03:49 PM
Banned

There's no foam. All you can hear is an air leak. That's it. The way you mount this stupid fan is by driving these little nail things through the fins of the radiator and A/C condenser and then you put a little grommet on the back side of everything. I tried to put my finger over the hole, but the air was still leaking. I can't exactly see where the hole is but I can put my finger over it and you can hear the sound change. I guess once all the freon is out (it's been venting for the past hour or so), I'll pull the condenser out and see if I can't find the leak and plug it that way. Any other suggestions? I hope I can pick one up at a junk yard for cheap.
Old 03-19-2004, 06:16 PM

be careful with condensors, they aren't actually that much money new. If you get any dust or debri in them they can take out the compressor. that is the expensive part!!!
Old 03-19-2004, 06:32 PM

As a kid and out on my own, I wanted the fridge defrosted faster than was going so I used a knife to remove the ice , bad mistake, but since it was on the evaporator (low side) my father used some type of epoxy to seal it off and gased it back up, but since you poked one in the condensor (high side), I'd say you're screwed. I can't remember what the high side runs,but I think at times it's up in the high 100 psi range range or maybe up to 200. If it's on r134, you can buy a condensor, evacuate the system with a GOOD vaccum pump and gas it back up, if it's on r12, better get your wallet ready, unless you wanna covert it to 134A.
Old 03-19-2004, 07:46 PM
Banned

It's a 2000 GMC so it should be the 134. I'm going to try some JB weld and see how that holds. Thanks for the help yall. On a plus note, the electric fan is working great.
Old 03-20-2004, 12:48 AM
Banned

don't waste your time trying to fix a refrigerant leak with epoxy, you can't even solder aluminum condensers and make them hold. been doing this type of work for 20 years and have never heard of anyone having any success with any of the magic glues or magic aluminum pre-fluxed high buck soldering rods either. just my $.02
Old 03-20-2004, 11:13 AM

You could probably get the system discarged and then send out the condensor to an aluminum welding shop to have the hole welded. We send out many condensors at my shop to have them repaired due to rock holes. Kep in mind that if you knowingly dischagre freon to the atmosphere there is a $10000 fine (at least in Canada) and I would assume that the US could have even stricter punishments. Therefore don't try to fix with silicone, glue or epoxy...just get it done right and avoid tje possibility of a fine/jail time.
Old 03-20-2004, 08:12 PM

The JB weld will not most likely hold on the high side, your best bet is to just buy a new condensor and replace it. The 134a can be purchased at wally world so I don't think the Feds will be knocking on your door to fine you, if you're really a good friend, you may want to also replace the dryer. Moister in an AC system is like gasoline in a diesel engine.
Or maybe like was said before, get it tigged, I've seen REALLY good tig guys do it to a coke can cut in half, but they have to be GOOD, but what ever you do, draw a dang good vacuum on it before installing the gas, not one of these 5-10 minute vacuums, but atleast 4-5 hours, and if you have access to a dial-a-charge that would make life even more simple. Go asking around an AC shop, I bet any of the guys would do it for you after hours for a few bucks. They've got all the tools and know how the gas works, liquid that cold can burn you quicker than fire can, and to me, it hurts worse, this dummy knows.
Old 03-22-2004, 10:52 AM

BB, being an A/C guy, your best plan of attack is to replace condenser, vacuum the system for 2 hours or so and then re-charge. You can weigh the charge in because the system on GM's have a refrigerant charge sticker on the evaporator fan housing. The charge cans at wally world are usually 12 ounces and If I remember correctly a GM truck system holds something like 38 - 40 ounces. System should be close to fully charged when sweat forms on suction line at back of compressor. BTW, do not turn charge cans upside down while charging. This dumps liquid straight into compressor and can wash out the valves on the compressor. Good Luck!!!

Gary
Old 03-22-2004, 11:44 AM
Banned

Thanks for the help yall.
Old 05-20-2004, 01:49 AM
Banned

Well, I pulled the condenser, put some JB weld on it, refilled it, and it's holding. The hole was literally a pin head. I just thought I'd update yall on that. Thanks for the help yall.
Old 05-20-2004, 11:15 AM

All I can say is, some people just have all the luck. I guess only time, and the wonderfully hot South Texas summers we enjoy will be the proof in the pudding. Let us know how it is holding up sometime in August while sitting at idle on one of our quick moving "parking lots" at 5:00 PM in the afternoon.

Glad that the JB held so far, I would have never guessed it would.

Gary
Old 05-20-2004, 05:57 PM
Banned

All the luck in the world is not my name. I seem to be having a lucky streak though. Got my speedo adjusted at the dealer for free and then this. Maybe I should buy a lotto ticket.