General Diesel Discussion Talk about general diesel engines (theory, etc.) If it's about diesel, and it doesn't fit anywhere else, then put it right in here.

What is so great about FASS ???

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2006, 07:31 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Stump
Ok S.D. after reading and reading all of the info on the walbro conversion I am finaly going to do it. No reason to go through all of the bs with getting a new lp installed, and not doing it the right way. I don't seem to have any problems with mine now but don't want to either. I have ordered a new walbro pump, the tapped banjo bolts and a fass adapter from rip. I can get all the rest here, the one and only thing that really has me worried about the whole thing is the way I am going to power the new pump. I have not read or I missed sombody doing this on a 04. Can I just cut the wires on the old lp and extented it to the walbro and all is good? I really don't know any thing about relays and how they work, so if that is needed, might need to do baby steps with me so I can understand. Any help or comments with heads up from all who have done this would be great. Thanks "D"
Stump,
You shouldn't use the power for the original lift pump to run the Walbro. You will need a relay to feed the Walbro. The original lift pump power feed will be used to trigger the relay. Hook up the relay to a 12v power source (preferably the battery) and the output to the Walbro.

MikeyB
Old 01-30-2006, 07:48 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
MikeyB, I don't know if I'd do that because the ecm sends different voltages to the stock setup. It's not a direct switched 12volts. The voltage varies, from what I've read. If you do this, you'd most likely burn up the relay or it just plain won't work. You've got to find a switched 12volt source such as the cigarette light circuit. Something that is hot only when you turn your key on. Use this to trigger the relay. Pull a direct hot off the battery and fuse it seperately to the relay then thru to the pump.
Old 01-30-2006, 09:09 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by trik396
MikeyB, I don't know if I'd do that because the ecm sends different voltages to the stock setup. It's not a direct switched 12volts. The voltage varies, from what I've read. If you do this, you'd most likely burn up the relay or it just plain won't work. You've got to find a switched 12volt source such as the cigarette light circuit. Something that is hot only when you turn your key on. Use this to trigger the relay. Pull a direct hot off the battery and fuse it seperately to the relay then thru to the pump.
Actually, the ECM uses Pulse Width Modulation. The voltage doesn't vary, but the waveform does. In binary form (zeros and ones) a high for a short duration with a long low duration appears to be a lower voltage to a DC motor, and will turn slower. Long highs with short lows appears to be a high voltage to the motor and will turn faster.
To a relay trigger I don't think the PWM will matter since the coil has been energized and takes time for the field to collapse when the power is removed.
But the main power source to the relay needs to be a constant 12v, like from the battery (and fused).

MikeyB
Old 01-30-2006, 10:07 AM

Modern technology huh.... Well ya just took this old-school electrician back to school.
Darn confounded computer jibjab....

Thanks.
T.
Old 01-30-2006, 10:53 AM

I personally like the concept of RASP.... engine driven positive displacement gear pump. Pump output increases with engine speed. Parallel system so that if a belt breaks, the electric lift pump automatically energizes and light comes on in the cab. I am not all that keen on the idea of having to trim the fan blades or the high price tag, though.
Old 01-30-2006, 11:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Gypsyman
Pick up the extension harness (p/n 4025182) pictured below from Cummins. Plug one end into the factory lp harness, cut the other end off and use it for trigger and ground on the relay. This way the ECM will see a closed circuit just as it can see the factory lp.

Richard
How much was this extension harness from Cummins? Also, does anyone know of an online store where one can buy Cummins parts such as this?
Old 01-30-2006, 05:35 PM

IIRC they're about $15. Can't help with the online parts link though.
Old 01-30-2006, 08:00 PM

gypsyman I just went and picked up the extension harness from cummins, it's total was $16.87. Now I just need to order the relay kit, or could I just pick up any 40 amp relay from an auto parts store tomarrow instead of ordering it?
Hope that this all I need!

Might need some guidence when I am installing the relay to the extension harness and were to go looking for the constant 12v supply.

You said the 2 wires from the new harness hook up to the terminals 85 and 86, does it matter which one goes on which one? I am woried I am going to fry something on my truck can you tell?

Thanks guys for all the help!
"D"
Old 01-30-2006, 08:13 PM

Stop at the auto store and ask for a lighting relay. I used a 30 amp relay.I running the pump on a 15amp fuse.
Old 01-30-2006, 08:31 PM

Originally Posted by Stump
Might need some guidence when I am installing the relay to the extension harness and were to go looking for the constant 12v supply.

You said the 2 wires from the new harness hook up to the terminals 85 and 86, does it matter which one goes on which one? I am woried I am going to fry something on my truck can you tell?

Thanks guys for all the help!
"D"
Use a test light or a meter to determine which lead is hot on the harness. Hot from the harness should go to 86 and ground from the harness should go to 85.

With all the interest in this I'm considering putting together a kit with everything included and pre-wired. I'll try to price everything out over the next few days and see if it would be feasable from a cost standpoint. I'm not even sure there would be enough interest at this point but I've got some time to kill.

Richard
Old 01-30-2006, 08:50 PM

You guys are great! Thanks for all the help and thanks to superduty for setting this up. Now I know that I won't have any fuel problems as long as the filter is clean! I won't be able to do this till this weekend but hopefully I have all the info I need. If not I know that you all are here to help.
"D"