3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

FASS System vs. Fass Pump Only

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2005, 07:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
FASS System vs. Fass Pump Only

I'm looking into purchasing a FASS system for my 04' and 05' Dodge. Mods are in the signature for the 04' and the 05' has a TST box on it. Its seems like everyone is pretty much happy with the FASS system and it also looks like a well engineered product.

My hold-up is if I need to purchase the entire system or if the pump only set-up will be sufficient. The entire system is about $200 more than the pump only. It seems like the extra $200 is for air/fuel separator. Is there any other difference besides that?

Those who have a FASS, what made you go with the entire system over the pump only and vice versa?

Brandon
Old 10-24-2005, 07:43 PM

I bought the tst and fass(pump only) and like it. Mark at TST said the filters are a waste of money, that come directly from him.
Old 10-24-2005, 08:03 PM

I have the FASS 95 gph and no filters . I bought it because it was less money .
Old 10-24-2005, 08:07 PM
Banned

I have the dual filter variety. I purchased it before they came out with the pump only variety.

There is only one advantage that I can see to having the dual filters and it is purely cosmetic. If you decide to go the dual filter route you can remove the factory lift pump and fuel filter canister. It makes things like the ECM and CKP < on pre '03 trucks easier to access. Not that you need to fiddle with either on a regular basis.

Originally Posted by W.F.O.
I bought the tst and fass(pump only) and like it. Mark at TST said the filters are a waste of money, that come directly from him.
To elaborate on this a little... Mark and Scott, along with many of the other big names in the industry did some extensive testing on the functionality of the pump only -vs- the pump and filters. They utilized a clear feed line to the injection pump and monitored it under a variety of operating conditions with the pump only through the factory fuel filter. They never once witnessed a bubble of air after the fuel filter. So, to answer the question there is no need for the dual filters. One is simply a oil/water seperator which you already have (factory filter canister) and the other is a air/fuel seperator which is a rather pricey hydraulic filter that adds no functional benefit to my knowledge or the knowledge of many others in the industry.

Now, if you plan on heavy fueling modifications to your truck it may make some sense to go with the pump only and a larger feed line to the filter canister and injection pump. The duration boxes will be capable of drawing every available ounce of fuel from the stock system and quite possibly any of the aftermarket pushers too.

Sorry if I confused you at all.
Old 10-24-2005, 08:12 PM

Not confused, but educated. Thank you for the explanation and revealing the test information.

From the experiment it seems like the filters may just be an added marketing strategy. Not saying that they can't help, but if they do it wasn't realize in that test.
Old 10-25-2005, 09:07 AM

the only real advantage of using their filters that I can think of is that it gives you the ability to run a 3 micron filter as well as a much bigger filtration area.
People have suggested that the improved filtration may help preserve the CP-3 and injectors.
I wish a manufacturer would come out with a 3 mic. filter for the stock housing...
Old 10-26-2005, 10:01 PM

The filtration is a little better if you get the whole thing, but it hangs a little low when mounted. Where I drive, I would hit it and it would break. I installed the 150gph pump only this past weekend -- love it so far!
Old 10-27-2005, 08:10 AM

Guys, The complete FASS system lets you bypass the restrictiveness of the stock fuel filter and lift pump assembly. A 3 micron filter is an added bonus. The ease of the water separator dumping is a plus also. If you are going to run big horse power FASS straight to the CP3 is the only way to go. Anyone who hooked up a clear pipe to the the hose between the pump and the cp3 and said they didn't see any bubbles so they think its a waste needs a microscope. Do I think micro entrapped air bubbles is a major problem ...nooooo, but if there is entrapped air which I can't imagine there not being given what we see when we are filling the tank from even the slowest of fuel stops then anything that minimizes them is a plus. I noticed that my truck runs better on all levels of TST not just the high fuel levels. Remember some of these optomistic vendors said you could run all nine levels on a stock truck . If your on a budget, omit the filters, if you are on a quest for the most power possible, spend a few bucks and you might be better off but you will definitely be no worse. It's like the exhaust vendors telling us that their exhaust will drop all the temp and make more hp. My horsepower didn't go up and my temperature at WOT did not change at all.
I saw a 05 Harley F350 with boxes stacked, big injectors, and nitrous all running through a stock 3.5 inch exhaust straight to the tail pipe. No problems. I think anyones satisfaction with any upgrade is directly related to how much they paid. The extra money for the filters to me is the best 200 bucks I spent.
Old 10-27-2005, 08:15 AM

Originally Posted by smokindog
I have the dual filter variety. I purchased it before they came out with the pump only variety.

There is only one advantage that I can see to having the dual filters and it is purely cosmetic. If you decide to go the dual filter route you can remove the factory lift pump and fuel filter canister. It makes things like the ECM and CKP < on pre '03 trucks easier to access. Not that you need to fiddle with either on a regular basis.

To elaborate on this a little... Mark and Scott, along with many of the other big names in the industry did some extensive testing on the functionality of the pump only -vs- the pump and filters. They utilized a clear feed line to the injection pump and monitored it under a variety of operating conditions with the pump only through the factory fuel filter. They never once witnessed a bubble of air after the fuel filter. So, to answer the question there is no need for the dual filters. One is simply a oil/water seperator which you already have (factory filter canister) and the other is a air/fuel seperator which is a rather pricey hydraulic filter that adds no functional benefit to my knowledge or the knowledge of many others in the industry.

Now, if you plan on heavy fueling modifications to your truck it may make some sense to go with the pump only and a larger feed line to the filter canister and injection pump. The duration boxes will be capable of drawing every available ounce of fuel from the stock system and quite possibly any of the aftermarket pushers too.

Sorry if I confused you at all.

I don't know if any air is present after the stock filter or not, but they had a demo FASS set up at a local truck show and when you turned it off you could easily see air bubbles. I know my truck now idles smoother and has better take off and picked up 1-2 mpg. The only thing I changed was the addition of a complete FASS system. I mounted mine up as high as possible, just 1/8" below the bed, it doesn't hang below the body line. The filters are a lot easier/less messy to change. 2 thumbs up here!
Rick
Old 10-31-2005, 08:07 PM

So, if you buy just the pump, does it come with everything you need to install it? I'm thinking about getting one but I don't want to tear the truck apart just to find that I need hoses and fittings etc.. Why can't someone just take the factory LP and modify it to push more fuel? That would be sweeet!!!
Old 11-01-2005, 08:06 AM

I just ordered a FASS pump only, and it is supposed to come with everything you need. I'll post up again after it's installed.
Old 11-01-2005, 09:05 AM
wap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Could you pm me the price for the kit you bought?
Is it the 95 gph or 150?
Thanks
Old 11-02-2005, 01:20 PM

Originally Posted by Dodgezilla
So, if you buy just the pump, does it come with everything you need to install it? I'm thinking about getting one but I don't want to tear the truck apart just to find that I need hoses and fittings etc.. Why can't someone just take the factory LP and modify it to push more fuel? That would be sweeet!!!
i just ordered the pump(no filters). 95 gph fass kit comes w/ everything needed for a very clean install. the only problem i see: not the pump's fault, is these **** trucks dont have wheel well liners any more so rocks ,water ,etc. gets thrown all over the pump because of mounting location. i think you can buy the slip in liners for the wheel well though. any way i got my pump through steve w/ performance turbo motorsports @254-493-3926 cheap,cheap!
Old 11-07-2005, 04:20 PM

I added the omitted-on-my-year rear wheel liners and front mud flaps after my FASS looked abused by road salt/debris. It stays much cleaner now.