General Diesel Discussion Talk about general diesel engines (theory, etc.) If it's about diesel, and it doesn't fit anywhere else, then put it right in here.

Warning (Fleetguard filter)

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2004, 03:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Warning (Fleetguard filter)

For the past 3 or 4 oil changes the fleetguard filter I have been using is leaking a little from the gasket/seal. When I took it off and put on another filter for a test (mopar) there was no leak. I tried the fleetguard again and it leaked, then I put a (wix) on and no leak. Finally I'm sticking with mopar.

I know fleetguard has the best filtering method, but I'm not sure how many of you actually jump up onto the bumper and use a flashlight to check for leaks around the seal.

I don't mean right after the oil is changed because it starts after 1 or 2 high speed drives on the highway.

I'm not putting down fleetguard. However, I am warning you all to inspect the top of the filter where the seel is for leaks. I'm actually dissapointed since I want to use fleetguard.

Now I have a mopar on it and it fits perfect. I'm just warning all of you. Even the wix I used didn't leak at all, and I don't like to use wix.
Old 05-26-2004, 03:04 PM

Re: Warning (Fleetguard filter)

Originally posted by antknee
For the past 3 or 4 oil changes the fleetguard filter I have been using is leaking a little from the gasket/seal. When I took it off and put on another filter for a test (mopar) there was no leak. I tried the fleetguard again and it leaked, then I put a (wix) on and no leak. Finally I'm sticking with mopar.

Does this mean you haven't changed the filter for 3 or 4 oil changes???
Old 05-26-2004, 03:06 PM
Adminstrator-ess

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Never seen a leak with a Donaldson.
Old 05-26-2004, 03:07 PM

No,

The first time I went 4000 miles before realizing, then that lead me to check with my flashlight. then I just kept changing the filter with the same oil until I found a filter that worked.
Old 05-26-2004, 03:17 PM
Administrator / Scooter Bum

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts
65,000 miles on mine with oil changes every 7-10,000 using Fleetguard Stratopore filters and never had a leak yet.

Could you have a problem with the filter mount possibly?
Do you put a little oil on the sealing surface before installing the filter?
Hand tight or do you use a wrench?

Ed
Old 05-26-2004, 03:22 PM

Hand tight and the mopar filter fits so snug compared to any other. I do put oil on the seal before tightening.

hmmmmm

Do you guys jump onto the bumper and check for leaks with a flashlight after a few hundred miles? I would recommend it and let me know.

umm before doing I would be carful you don't slip off the bumper. (I did once)
Old 05-26-2004, 03:28 PM
Administrator / Scooter Bum

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts
umm before doing I would be carful you don't slip off the bumper. (I did once)
Ouch!!

I use Simple green on mine about every other month to clean the engine compartment so I'd notice an oil slick in the filter area.

Veeeery Iiiiintereeesting.........
Old 05-26-2004, 03:37 PM

Re: Warning (Fleetguard filter)

I know fleetguard has the best filtering method, but I'm not sure how many of you actually jump up onto the bumper and use a flashlight to check for leaks around the seal.

I don't mean right after the oil is changed because it starts after 1 or 2 high speed drives on the highway.

I'm not putting down fleetguard. However, I am warning you all to inspect the top of the filter where the seel is for leaks. I'm actually dissapointed since I want to use fleetguard.

Now I have a mopar on it and it fits perfect. I'm just warning all of you. Even the wix I used didn't leak at all, and I don't like to use wix.
Aren't MOPAR filters rebadged Fleetguards? No matter, mine don't leak. Its easy to tell by looking at the bottom of them for oil after driving them for a while. No need to jump onto the bumper and look.
Old 05-26-2004, 03:38 PM

86000 miles on one, and 50000 on the other, Stratapores every 4000 miles, and no leaks yet.

wayne
Old 05-26-2004, 03:40 PM

yes, I think mopar is fleetguard but it doesn't get to the point of leaking down the filter. It's only on top in the groove between the gasket/seal and the filter. You know, the canal area. I had to actually look from directly above the filter to see leaking from the seal.

But the mopar does not leak on mine.

Weird
Old 05-26-2004, 03:45 PM

If they're leaking, gravity will apply itself and cause the oil in the canal to find itself on the outside/bottom of the filter.

MOPAR filters are good too, just pricier than what I'm willing to spend.
Old 05-26-2004, 03:49 PM

well,

It hasnt leaked to the bottom. It stays in the canal.

Do you guys hand tighten to snug or as tight as possible?
Old 05-26-2004, 03:56 PM
Administrator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wasn't there a TSB about gaskets staying attached the engine when removing the old oil filter?

It said to make sure the old gasket is not still there before putting in the new filter.

Perhaps this is the problem?

phox
Old 05-26-2004, 04:02 PM

if you are putting them on hand tight it is no wonder they leak . i use an oil filter wrench to tighten them on and off. the vibration on this engine is to much for just hand tightend. i change oil all day long on buses and trucks . and some of the buses still come loose
Old 05-26-2004, 04:49 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Phox: You need to check with a flashlight to see if the gasket is attached to the engine.
Skeeter: If not tightened properly with a wrench, they will leak a little.

104,500 miles without any leaks. Stratapore and Mopar filters. Now if I can just get the air filters to last longer than 10k miles.

Quick Reply: Warning (Fleetguard filter)