General Diesel Discussion Talk about general diesel engines (theory, etc.) If it's about diesel, and it doesn't fit anywhere else, then put it right in here.

Stanadyne & Marvel Mystery Oil Questions

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2005, 05:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Stanadyne & Marvel Mystery Oil Questions

I posted these questions yesterday but the post got flushed with the server crash. So...

1--Storing Stanadayne PF. Is it okay to keep it stored under hot conditions? I keep some in my truck tool box and the rest of the case in a storage building in the back yard. It's been over 100 degrees around here.

2--Would using a portion of Marvel Mystery Oil with Stanadyne PF present any problems? I see that Stanadyne makes another product specifically for improving lubricity of diesel fuel so I'm concerned the PF formula doesn't do much in this area. Or, how about using PF with the lubricating formula Stanadyne?

Thanks,
Lee
Old 07-24-2005, 08:37 PM

I use Stanadyne and have the same storage issues as you do. I've never had a problem as far as I can tell.

I know when it gets really cold out it gets a little on the thick side, but I don't see why heat would hurt it.

Can't help you with the Marvel/Stanadyne mix.
Old 07-24-2005, 08:58 PM

A lot of people are using a mix of about 4 oz. MMO to 16 oz. Power Service or Stanadyne. There are claims of a couple of miles per gallon increase too. I do know that my truck does idle smoother with some MMO in the tank.
Tom
Old 07-24-2005, 09:16 PM

if you get dipped, will 4 oz's of mmo turn you fuel red. the lab they send it to will prove it ok but at the site could be real nerve racking.
Old 07-24-2005, 10:05 PM

I have used MMO in the past ,currently using Stanadyne only but I never noticed any color change at all when I drained fuel and replaced filters . I was dosing heavier than that but I can attest it makes my engine alot smoother and less clattery at idle .
Old 07-24-2005, 11:28 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've been using Stanadyne Performance Formula since day one, including the free tankfull from the dealer! In anticipation of this, I E-mailed Stanadyne about shelf life and actually received a reply: http://www.dieseltruckresource.com/d...threadid=67118. Also, the Stanadyne website (www.stanadyne.com/new/ppt/ppt_dfa.asp) has a number of PDFs on the subject. I found the "Fuel Additive Brochure" and the "Q & A on Fuel Additives" to be the most useful. I hope all this helps!
Old 07-24-2005, 11:39 PM

"FUEL ADDITIVES ARE HARMFUL TO YOUR ENGINES' HEALTH"... ia an actual title to a publication by Detroit Diesel Corporation...

After 32 years with one of the big-3 Diesel manufacturers... engineering... analysis of failed engine material... world-wide travel... trouble shooting... lab analysis... dyno testing right at the factory... HELPING DIESEL CUSTOMERS SOLVE PROBLEMS...

Let me assure you that 14 of the 17 fuel additives I recently examined at a local truck stop are actually harmful... or at least totally of no value a waste of your good $$$...

Most of these ndg products claim to lubricate.... clean... supress smoke (really bad here, containing barium sticking piston rings with cement-like red ash deposits)... and do all sorts of wonderful things... ... are NOT recommended... Over the years I have met with many customers (single owner-operators and fleets complaining of short piston-ring or injector life... usually blown tips)... only to find the failure due to some "goose-juice" promoted by a slick salesman... or some other media promising great results... When all six cylinders... or all 6 injectors... fail together at he same time, the cause is not an engine defect... something in the operating environment caused accross the board damage...

The few additives that are OK are reputable brand name BIOCIDES (to kill growing filter clogging bacteria, more common in intermittently used applications like boats and stand'by gen sets.... as well as well-known winter additives to prevent fuel waxing (clogging filters) in extremely COLD northern climates... All products used should be specifically approved by YOUR ENGINE MANUFACTURER... This may sound like old-school preaching, but it remains utterly true... rest assured the engine makers know more than the "goose-juice" people... We have seen and analyzed more because users with problems ALWAYS contact the engine makers... truly, we see it all...

Rest assured the good fuel we experience in North America has plenty of INHERENT LUBRICATION QUALITY for injectors and doesn't need any other "slipperyness" additive... Also Diesel fuel in itself is an excellent cleaning solvent, and doesn't need more "cleaner"...

Now I know there are many many people out there who will say "Oh Yeah ?!!"... and testify or "swear" by wonderful "results" from their favorite additive(s)... that's their privilege... and I will never argue or waste time contradicting genuine or perceived "good results"... But rest assured there are also enough "bad results" to support the conservative posture encouraged above...

Happy Motoring ! ...Ted (aka Dr. Diesel as published monthly in Freshwater News, Portland, Oregon...
Old 07-25-2005, 05:30 AM

Ted....Is stanadyne one of the good or bad ones. If you dont want to post it, PM me.

Thanks
John
Old 07-25-2005, 10:10 AM

Thanks for the replies.

And while I don't have enough knowledge to argue the point, my concern over the general poor quality of North American diesel fuels was one of the reasons I decided to use additives before I ever bought my truck. I did a lot of research and found numerous bits of information that showed across the board inconsistency in the fuels. That is worrisome.

Of the additives available, it looked to me as if Stanadyne was the one recommended the most by engine makers. The Stanadyne company also manufactures fuel pumps, injectors, etc., so they probably have a good deal of expertise on fuel and fuel systems.

As for the Marvel Mystery Oil, I've used this stuff off-and-on for over 40 years in gas engines and never experienced any failures or even any minor problems whatsoever. Objectively, it did no harm. Subjectively, it seemed to clean the fuel systems as well as more expensive cleaners. I've seen posts in this forum of people using it so I just wondered if it was being used in conjunction with Stanadyne and if it offered any additional benefit.
Old 07-25-2005, 08:28 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by ArkansasRam
if you get dipped, will 4 oz's of mmo turn you fuel red. the lab they send it to will prove it ok but at the site could be real nerve racking.
4 oz in a 35 gal tank will not show red. 5 gals in 35 will show red.

MMO won't harm your engine any more than filtered waste oil.
Old 07-26-2005, 12:20 AM

Hello again...

I'm comfortable in answering Johnny H's question... I will qualify that my answer is based partially on OPINION, as well as fact supported by some 30 years' experience... Other people with like experience may very well have a different OPINION, with just as much validity...

Stanadyne is a very reputable manufacturer of high quality Diesel fuel system components... They have developed additives which they find helpful and beneficial in their products... perhaps initiated to address a problem at one time... certainly to assist the customer in acheiving or increasing service life, and satisfaction with Stanadyne hardware...

Therefore, if I owned engine(s) utilizing Stanadyne fuel components, I would be prone to use their additive package, because as I noted in my above post, the manufacturers have the BEST knowledge of their own products...

Being of excellent reputation, I would also expect the Stanadyne additives, used according to direction, will not harm other brands of hardware... very possibly offer some good... but just as possibly unnecessary, particularly if the maker has no such recommendation...

Bottom line... I would definitely use Stanadyne additives in Stanadyne hardware... use in other brands of hardware would be optional based on individual preference and (there's that word again)... personal OPINION...

Cheers... ...Ted