General Diesel Discussion Talk about general diesel engines (theory, etc.) If it's about diesel, and it doesn't fit anywhere else, then put it right in here.

Are stacks "hillbilly" ??

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2005, 08:49 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I agree with Hoss. I think John Rodriguez's stacks are an example of how srw stacks are done right. However, I still think stacks only look good on duallies.
Old 03-14-2005, 10:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Q: Do stacks look hillbilly?
A: only it they are more than a foot over the cab, or flat tops with putters.

Stacks done right look and sound awesome if someone doesnt like them they better not get behind someone who has them or they r really gonna hate them.
stacks do look good on duallys but since im not a dually person. miters go on any thing. and turn outs go with duallys and first gens the best.
Old 03-14-2005, 11:12 AM

Originally posted by Hoss
Here's my personal opinion on stacks. You may feel differently.

I think properly done stacks look good on a DUALLY. By "properly done" I mean that they aren't too big in diameter (5" at most for our trucks) and not too tall (no more than about 6" above the top of the cab...if that) and they are placed as close to the front and side bed rails as possible. If it were me, I would turn them out or turn them back.

Now, at the risk of stepping on some toes, I am NOT a fan of stacks on SRW trucks. To me that just looks silly. IF they're gonna go on a SRW, then in my opinion it HAS to be a long bed 4x4. In fact, looking at Bulthisl's gallery...if you're going to put them on a truck then that's the way to do it (even though I still think they look better on a dually).

Thanks Hoss !

I get alot of thumbs up from people on the road.

And complements when stopped.

Of course there's always those that just roll thier eyes

But then if I'm in front of them it may be to clear out the soot.

: Eddie :
Old 03-14-2005, 11:15 AM
Administrator

I think they look stupid.

https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...php/photo/3800

https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...cat/500/page/1
Old 03-14-2005, 11:28 AM

HOw about stacks on a dually flatbed? And not to have them come out of the flatbed but on the sides, underneath from the body or underneath from the flatbed and comeup behind the doors and shoot up? I seen a yellow pre superduty ford with a flatbed like that, looked pretty cool to me.
Old 03-14-2005, 11:47 AM

Hillbilly

Sounds like Hillbilly is being used as a derogatory term round your parts. I find the term to be a compliment

I am not sure if I like stacks or not. I think you have to have a lot of power to back em' up.
I always picture Joe Dirt reading the Auto Trader and saying "Aw cool 97 12v Cummins with dual antennas and stacks"
Old 03-14-2005, 12:11 PM

Here in Maine, we are sorely under repersented in the Hillbilly department, this is why I decided to go with the stacks. I got them a few days ago and I am just waiting to get the "Y" fitting. Not sure if I want to do turnouts or the Miter cut...............What do you think would give me the maximum "Redneck look"?
Old 03-14-2005, 08:43 PM

There's a guy in town who has a flatbed with stacks. Ran them up through the bed. It looks ok. Much better than a SRW with them. I don't like stacks at all. I will say that I know of 2 people with stacks, and they're both super rednecks. I've heard truckers talk about the "wanna-be truckers" with stacks on their trucks on the CB from time to time.

But hey, whatever floats you boat. I don't like 26 inch wheels with spinners either and they're everywhere too.
Old 03-14-2005, 10:04 PM

I think stacks would only fit good on a truck that either has a longbed or is a dually and is packing heat. If the truck doesnt even smoke then theirs no point, although if its pouring like a railroad then it looks pretty good.
Old 03-14-2005, 10:33 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Chalk up another vote for " they look stupid".
Old 03-15-2005, 12:01 AM

I think they only look good in some examples. Mine are sort of low profile stacks. I think it is easy to make them look dumb though.

https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...cat/500/page/1
Old 03-15-2005, 05:43 AM
Administrator

Yeah, I heard all that "trucker wanna be" crap on the CB. He shut up when I told him I used to drive a truck and gave it up cause I couldn't make any money at it. He said how much money he made and I told him I made twice that (which I did at the time, more now) and that I was home every night. He didn't have any more comments. Nothing against truckers at all, just against smart (insert your own word here) people.

And by the way, I am a hillbilly and proud of it (formerly from the hills of Pa). I believe the politically correct term is Appalachian American or however you spell it. My dash use to be full of junk and I had big whip antenna's on the rear bumper. Those of us that are real hillbillys will know what I'm talking about. If you don't, you're not one.
Old 03-17-2005, 01:36 PM

We call them "Minnonite Stacks" around here, because all of the minnonites put them on their dually flatbeds. I personally think 5" mitre cut stacks on a Dually is cool, but I wouldn't do it on anything else, and I wouldn't do it if the truck didn't smoke like a locomotive either...
Old 03-17-2005, 02:04 PM

Originally posted by WhiteSport600
put them on their dually flatbeds. I personally think 5" mitre cut stacks on a Dually is cool, ....... and I wouldn't do it if the truck didn't smoke like a locomotive either...
Guess I'm good then.
Old 03-17-2005, 09:13 PM

Most redneck look?

I dunno bout that, but maybe the little popper deals on them or rainflaps on them might look bad, the only way i like them is mitre cut....

Tx

Quick Reply: Are stacks "hillbilly" ??