General Diesel Discussion Talk about general diesel engines (theory, etc.) If it's about diesel, and it doesn't fit anywhere else, then put it right in here.

Are stacks "hillbilly" ??

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2005, 01:11 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
hillbilly? no

redneck? definately!
Old 03-12-2005, 01:36 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Like others have said, definitely Hillbilly. But it's your truck. soo..........

If you don't care if people think it looks Hillbilly and you like it, go for it.

The most comments I hear with outrageous visible mods on trucks are "look what happens when rednecks get money"

Kind of reminds me of the Foxworthy bit along the lines of "You can't even GIVE a redneck money"

Do you invest in commerative plates?
Old 03-12-2005, 04:48 PM

I only think it looks hillbilly if you run them out the sides then up along the cab with heat shield gaurds.
Old 03-12-2005, 04:54 PM
'People of Wal-Mart' 2010 finalist

well, as a life long redneck, I would have to ask, Do you like them? its your truck, if someone doesn't like it F'em. They dont have to be seen in it.
Old 03-12-2005, 06:19 PM

Originally posted by tankeryanker
I only think it looks hillbilly if you run them out the sides then up along the cab with heat shield gaurds.
Ouch.... thats what I have to do. I need stacks or one, for the real purpose, the air intake sucks exhaust in and fills the cab in a hurry. Get tired of using the wet finger method of testing for wind direction and parking up wind... My trailer only clears the back of the cab by about five inches in a 90 degree jack so the stack(s) cannot go behind the cab. Later a sleeper will go on, so then it will look right but now I will have to install one beside the rear corner of the cab. Well, I'm just a yankee redneck transplanted to Dixie any way... Hey the stack will also be between one and two feet above the roof. Lets see that should put the turnout right in the open window of the big truck when I pass them They will know that I am diesel
Old 03-12-2005, 06:24 PM

I had stacks on my last truck, big blue......and it was redneck, but me being a redneck....didnt faze me i always got compliments, but not be people who would drive behind me ne who, its all personal preferance! if you like em, do it and forget everyone who opposes your opinion

just my 2 centz tho,
Dom
Old 03-12-2005, 06:48 PM

I wouldn't honky mine up that way, not a fan myself. But it's your truck do what makes you feel good.
Old 03-12-2005, 06:50 PM

Fronty Owner hit the nail on the head, besides, does your wife know what a hillbilly really is? If you were a hillbilly you couldn't afford that truck and all those toys.......
Old 03-12-2005, 07:13 PM

Originally posted by WildBill
wouldn't stacks cover the stuff in the truck bed or your trailer with lots of soot

Stuff in the bed maybe a touch.
My trailer [ flatbed with deck ] yes but I very rarely wash it [ farm use ]

Mine is pretty heavily fueled.
But you need to put drains in them so when it rains they don't slobber.

Mine Don't Slobber.

: Eddie :
Old 03-12-2005, 07:38 PM

Are stacks hillbilly??? Well hell yeah.....when you shut it down you can almost hear the dualling banjos.....

Old 03-12-2005, 08:05 PM

Originally posted by Forrest Nearing
hillbilly? no

redneck? definately!

That's Right!
You are born a Hillbilly
You CHOOSE to be a REDNECK!
Old 03-12-2005, 08:24 PM

Uh, good point....considering where I live I should have made that distinction.

So, what then is a HIC? How bout a HAYSEED?
Old 03-12-2005, 08:50 PM

No more hillbilly than a jacked up '70 Maverick with skinny rear tires. But hey! It's your truck! You can have a real nice Elvis mural painted on the tailgate if'n you want to! Lots and lots of marker lights on them aluminum running boards too! You'll get compliments just to humor you before they turn away and roll their eyes.
I had the tailpipe cut off of my '84 Isuzu diesel pickup and a 1 3/4" pipe brought up through the bed and straight up a foot taller than the cab. Painted it black so it wouldn't be too noticeable. The muffler man (friend with a muffler shop) did a great job and even used an isolation pad where he bolted it to the front of the bed so keep vibration noise to a minimum. The reason for the stack was, we towed a popup and while camping we'd use the little Isuzu diesel as a generator for the dc in the trailer. With the tailpipe in it's origional spot behind the tire, we were constantly breathing fumes. The stack worked great but it would gather condesation overnight and blow it high into the air in the morning when I started it up and rain soot down on the cab. One day a Tommy Chong looking character pulled up to a light beside me and asked "Is that you're exhaust dude?". I said "no, that's me exhaust pipe". He laughed and said it was cool. I put 288k plus on that truck and when we finally traded it, it still had the stack.
But now I'm just an old fart and only want the truck to be comfortable, quiet and tow our 5th wheel.
Old 03-12-2005, 09:51 PM

Originally posted by BigBlue
Don't have them sticking 3 feet above the cab. IMO, they look best about 1-2" above the cab and with a miter cut on them. Say no to turn outs.
Then, i guess you would hate mine. 4' tall miters. About 12-16" above the cab.

Old 03-12-2005, 10:04 PM

Redneck? Hillbilly?

Does it matter? If i get stacks ill get them miter cut and about an inch above the cab, will my hay and stuff be covered in soot? what about the horses behind me? or my cargo? thats what keeps me from it... Id like them, but i dont like turnouts nor compromise or a straight cut... plus i can do it myself, all i need is the stacks themselves or i can cut them myself.. it dont matter...

Overall if a truck has them it will draw attention, but it will just make it unique in my opinion.. U want em? can afford em? why not? its ur truck whose to say you cant add BOMBS to ur rig? Besides rednecks and hillbillys dont care what u think bout them.. i get accused of bein one all the time, i just smile and laugh about it.. he he he he it only means other ppl are ignorant..

again

Its a diesel thing, they wouldnt understand....

Tx

Quick Reply: Are stacks "hillbilly" ??