General Diesel Discussion Talk about general diesel engines (theory, etc.) If it's about diesel, and it doesn't fit anywhere else, then put it right in here.

Are stacks "hillbilly" ??

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2005, 10:43 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by bmoeller
Then, i guess you would hate mine. 4' tall miters. About 12-16" above the cab.

Nice truck. How do you like those mirrors, and do they shake on rough roads?
Old 03-12-2005, 11:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It's a Yankee thing. My opinion but to each is their own
Old 03-13-2005, 12:14 AM

Originally posted by Haulin_in_Dixie
Nice truck. How do you like those mirrors, and do they shake on rough roads?
Thanks.

I really like the mirrors. A lot better than the 6x9's that came on it. I can see down the side of the trailer, now. I've also added spot mirrors on them. There a slight vibration. But not much. No worse than what any mirror would do on a rough road. They actually shake less than the OEM ones.
Old 03-13-2005, 12:44 AM

i always have guys with diesel pickups stopping me in the parking lot wanting to know how i ran them and how much did it cost. i dont think it matters hoe much they stick above the cab the smoke still follows the air over the tailgate mine are aboout 2 inches above the cab and i can shut a two lane road down
Old 03-13-2005, 03:35 PM

My exgirlfriend used to throw the redneck thing at me when I'd talk about BOMB's I wanted for my truck.

So I'd just threaten if she didn't stop I was going to get dual stacks up the side of the cab with stainless heat shields and lazor cut her name into the passenger side.

She would just stare at me incredulously.
Old 03-13-2005, 04:06 PM

Originally posted by BigBlue
If done tastefully they look great. Don't have them sticking 3 feet above the cab. IMO, they look best about 1-2" above the cab and with a miter cut on them. Say no to turn outs.
You mean like this

Old 03-13-2005, 04:51 PM

Are the mitered stacks quieter than turnouts ??
Old 03-13-2005, 06:28 PM

If you mean from the inside, I wouldn't put money on it. Mine are plenty loud on the inside.

Since you have a QC, it won't quite so bad, for you. The passengers in the back may complain, or put Kleenex in their ears.
Old 03-13-2005, 06:48 PM

My old rig had 5 inch stacks with turnouts, faced at like 45 degrees from the cab. That rig ment serious buisness. you could hear the truck long before u saw it. i mean, 3 weeks ago i picked up my lil cousin up at school and he said he could hear me 10 minutes before i pulled up to the bus platform. either u heard the stacks or the subs which were 15s just before i sold it...lol....golly my neighbors hate me

Dom
Old 03-13-2005, 09:37 PM

i know ur feelin Dom..

Isnt it Great? Dockboy welcome to the site.. I seen your ford on the other site... that is one wicked truck!

Now im startin to want stacks... dang it... more money to save up...

Tx
Old 03-13-2005, 10:04 PM

Thanks Tx
Old 03-13-2005, 10:16 PM

mr checkmate....i have about 2 out of 10 trucker guys "hating" the stacks...who knows what their reasons are...one of the guys who really hates them drives a dakota and dreams of a real truck u will get the occasional powerstoke dumptruck landscaper guy who thinks trucks are supposed to be work trucks lalala and its kids like us who are responsible for raising prices of trucks because we have fun with them and he'll shake his head (while secretely he's visiting shops and askign for pricing on stacks)....some people dont even know they're real as someone mentioned....they dont understand how we did it ...i think the gentleman who first replied to said do what U like...thats the most important thing...if u think they're cool then do it!! forget other people...there will always be people who hate our trucks simply because they're dodge and they're diesels and we're streotyped as slow...all that crap....i love my stacks...most guys give me a thumbs up and they're great convo material with other truckers at gas stations and coffee shops....ps once i feel i have outgrown my stacks phase i'll switch to straight pipe underneath i think thats what most guys do anyhow as an alternate to the stacks idea

Andrew
Old 03-14-2005, 02:49 AM

I plan on doing a single stack, 5" turnout pointed straight back. I think that style looks best on a SB. Got a pic of the truck no stack yet.
Old 03-14-2005, 07:48 AM

Checkmate wants to be a hillbilly......hahahahahahahahahahahahah....

Old 03-14-2005, 08:25 AM
Thats MR Hoss to you buddy!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Here's my personal opinion on stacks. You may feel differently.

I think properly done stacks look good on a DUALLY. By "properly done" I mean that they aren't too big in diameter (5" at most for our trucks) and not too tall (no more than 2-3" above the top of the cab) and they are placed as close to the front and side bed rails as possible....turned out about 45 degrees.

Now, at the risk of stepping on some toes, I am NOT a fan of stacks on SRW trucks. To me that just looks silly. IF they're gonna go on a SRW, then in my opinion it HAS to be a long bed 4x4. In fact, looking at Bulthisl's gallery...if you're going to put them on a truck then that's the way to do it (even though I still think they look better on a dually).

Quick Reply: Are stacks "hillbilly" ??