General Diesel Discussion Talk about general diesel engines (theory, etc.) If it's about diesel, and it doesn't fit anywhere else, then put it right in here.

It seems soooo Mind crippling difficult to make Bio-Diesel.

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2004, 10:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It seems soooo Mind crippling difficult to make Bio-Diesel.

ive really been looking into making my own, and im just sitting here feeling stupid now.

it seems like building the holding tanks/washing tanks, is fairly simple, but the whole idea of getting the mixture right seems completely crazy.

I have just a highschool education maybe thats why, but omg this is horrible, noone takes the time to do a step by step guide, with pictures.... NOONE...that ive found...

If anyone knows of a step by step guide with pictures to show *** they just explained i would be A-OK for producing my own fuel, probably in large enough quantities to fuel my neighbors too

if anyone has done there own setup already would they mind helpin me out..

This is all because of these stupid fuel prices, i hate this.

ALSO, is the WVO system just as good? I was thinking about doing that actually putting filtered oil into a seperate tank sounds a shitload simpler than doing like 4 cleaning process's to vegetable oil

The WVO would not be done on this truck heh.. definately not on this truck,
i was thinking about buying a 98 cummins, and modifying it pretty heavily so it produces high horsies/torque and looks good too
Old 10-28-2004, 10:09 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Err, just use WVO. It's soo cool, I've seen it working on lots of older vehicles.

(I need to add the disclaimer that I'm just looking for a gunea pig on a newer Cummins, but the guys on Greasel.com swear that the newer Cummins run off of WVO...)
Old 10-28-2004, 10:25 PM

Check your area technical colleges or universities. They sometimes offer classes on making bio-diesel fuel. As with anything, practice makes perfect. It may take several batches before you get the right combination of what needs to be done. Then after that it'll probably be smooth sailing.

WVO seems to work best in IDI diesel engines. Their injectors are not as susceptible to coking with the stuff, as direct inject engine injectors are. WVO needs to be heated prior to injection, as the greasal system does.

The tdiclub.com and dieselstop.com discussion groups have dedicated forums on bio-fuels. May be worth checking out. Good luck!
Old 10-28-2004, 10:26 PM

i wont take a chance with my baby.

ill definately buy a used 98 or something, and put a 200 gallon tank onto it for greasel.

and just drive that to places when my (Big Truck) isnt needed

i cant believe greasel works to great in a brand new truck, i hate electronics... alot.

+ if something does happen, my warranties will all die.
Old 10-28-2004, 10:28 PM

yea i go to diesel stop but since that seems like a fully FORD place i didnt feel right posting there :/
Old 10-29-2004, 12:02 PM

veggieavenger.com. Look in the photo-equipment forum for pictures of a "appleseed reactor".
Old 10-29-2004, 03:04 PM

Journier,

Try here: http://www.journeytoforever.org/biodiesel_make.html

They have alot of info and some pics.
Old 10-29-2004, 03:53 PM

veggie avenger is a really good site!

girl_mark there seems like she has a really good set up for making the appleseed reactor which is what i want to do,

Journey to forever was the first site i found , but doesnt have enough pictures for me to even figure anything out :/

thanks for any help.
Old 10-31-2004, 06:20 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
journier - it's not that hard to make, most of the people on that site totally overcomplicate the process. Its pretty much just a matter of following a simple formula to get your titration right (the right amount of methanol and lye compared to oil), and mixing, heating, draining, and filtering... Check out www.biodieselgear.com. They have some sweet processors, and although expensive, you can use them as a model to build a processor, and there are many guides on the site. I believe they have a $25 kit of some sort that shows you how to make biodiesel with step by step instructions.. Good luck.

PS, I would definitely recommend against WVO use in a HPCR injection 3rd gen truck. It's nowhere near the same thing as running biodiesel.
Old 10-31-2004, 08:03 PM

I agree with lightman, wvo in your truck can be trouble.

Biodiesel is very simple. As long as you pay attention to the safety warnings. If I can make good bio, anybody can.

Check out this website:

http://biodiesel.infopop.cc/eve/ubb....51&f=498605551

Look up "The Dr pepper method" as well as Dr pepper wash method.
You will be making small batches of bio in an hour. The dr pepper method gives you the fundamentals, lets you play around with it, and if you make a mistake it is a small one. Once you get good bio, then step up to larger setup. The dr pepper method only requires a pop bottle. Is that simple enough?

If still having troubles, then post on the forum (website I gave you), but one warning, better do your homework first (before posting or making bio). The reason I say this is of safety issues, and these guys are on the cutting edge of bio making, (chemists, engineer's and some average joes). Not to tolerant of guys getting on the site asking some question that has been anwered countless times.

The search feature will give you tons of info. Good luck, Kevin
Old 11-02-2004, 02:04 AM

thanks alot guys!

hopefully ill be driving my truck on some home brewed- biodiesel at 70 cents a gallon soon!

thanks again