General Diesel Discussion Talk about general diesel engines (theory, etc.) If it's about diesel, and it doesn't fit anywhere else, then put it right in here.

Registered "Smoke" Offender

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2007, 08:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Not to throw water on the fire but cops are cracking down everywhere and we may be our own worst enemy ...Karliforny is setting standards for emissions on older diesels and what the left coast does the EPA follows...the same is happening to those of us that ride Harley's...we love the sound of the V-twin but quite a few of John Q Public doesn't especially if we blast it in their ears as we accelerate away from lights in town, roar through their neighborhoods at 3 AM and incessantly blip the throttle at intersections...now the EPA and local municipalities are beginning to crack down ...it's only a matter of time...
Old 06-26-2007, 08:09 PM
Banned

well until that time comes......I'ma keep on keepin on...
Old 07-01-2007, 08:45 PM

I am now a member of the 'Registered Smoke Offender club'.

My Smarty set on on 'Kung Fu' must have upset someone recently.
Old 07-02-2007, 08:40 AM

I’ve never gotten on of the letters y’all speak of, but my 2001 Dodge used to get me pulled over all the time. I live by the CVG Airport, which has its own police dept (with county-wide jurisdiction ). The officers are notorious (speeding tickets for 1 mile over, etc). One stopped me one afternoon on my way home from work, at first just wondering what was wrong with my truck since it was “smoking so badly”. Knowing I hadn’t done a thing wrong, and a “visible emissions” tickets needs to be for 10 seconds for more, I explained that due to the performance mods I had, the truck would blow black smoke until the turbo spooled up. He said “Oh, since that’s the case, I suggest you remove those modifications or the next time you’ll get a ticket.” I explained to him that I knew my rights and the laws concerning emissions, and would run my however I pleased. I then placed my truck in gear, and drove away, leaving the nice officer on the side of the road in a cloud of black smoke.
Honestly, I expected him to follow, and maybe he did, but that was the last I saw of him.
Another cop (county regular) stopped me once after smoking out an intersection. Turned out he had just bought a 2002 CTD, and wondered what I had done to make it smoke, he thought it was cool. I gave him some pointers and he thanked me for my time… so they’re not all bad
-Dave
Old 07-06-2007, 12:11 PM

Originally Posted by drafalske
Another cop (county regular) stopped me once after smoking out an intersection. Turned out he had just bought a 2002 CTD, and wondered what I had done to make it smoke, he thought it was cool. I gave him some pointers and he thanked me for my time… so they’re not all bad
-Dave
. .
Old 07-06-2007, 09:30 PM

My brother got a letter and a phone call in 1979 when he was working at a university. He was in charge of the trucking department and they had a 1979 Chevy 1 ton with a 350 4-bbl. The choke would stay on just a bit too long sometimes and chug a bit of black smoke. The prof. that called said that truck was bad for the enviroment and so on. The guy could have been right but thats funny how some people just don't like anything going on in the world and have to get on the phone. Ya just can't have any fun anymore.
Old 07-06-2007, 10:15 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Recently, I received a parking ticket for not moving the truck for 3 hours downtown while we were working...

from the Bicycle Cops

Today, on the way home, I saw the despicable Bicycle Cops huffing & puffing up a STEEP hill at ~ 1mph, and there I am with the Smarty on 9 and the pressure box on Kill...

... so, did I take the high road by kindly feathering the throttle and quietly cruising past them, or did I WIMP OUT because I was afraid of another Smoke Letter?
Old 07-07-2007, 12:43 AM

Now if you smoked them enough, they would have never been able to get your plate number to send you a letter.