General Diesel Discussion Talk about general diesel engines (theory, etc.) If it's about diesel, and it doesn't fit anywhere else, then put it right in here.

need some advice

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2016, 08:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
need some advice

hey everyone, just looking to get some advise from some people about getting a diesel. i've got some money saved up so its time to go truck shopping. i just don't know whether to get a diesel or a gasser. i've always wanted to have a diesel truck, but i'm just not sure if it's really worth it. however, i feel like there would always be a little regret if i bought a gasser. the only thing i tow is my enclosed trailer for motocross so the truck would mainly be daily driven to and from work. i was looking at 3rd gen cummins, so what is the general price of these trucks regarding the mileage of the truck? how many miles can you get out these trucks? i've seen some 3rd gens with body rust, is this a common problem? any advice would be greatly appreciated,
thanks!
Old 01-28-2016, 09:33 PM
Administrator

Received 171 Likes on 129 Posts
To be brutally honest, especially with the newer diesels, unless you physically need one for towing heavy, I would buy a gasser.

I run the older generations because I can usually get home with baling wire and duct tape......
Old 01-28-2016, 10:00 PM

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
Patdaly has the right answer on this one.

Otherwise, if you are dead set on diesel, mostly as a daily driver/commuter vehicle, get a 04 - 06 duramax. They are far happier being used as a prius.

Not knocking the dmax. We have an 05 here, rock solid unit, starts like a gasser, goes like a race car, pulls like a teenager on Sunday morning. They do have their issues, but They are more forgiving than the cummins for daily, light load running.

For a workhorse, I have the 01 dodge, 5 speed, 4x4. Its been unbeatable, other than the craptastic injector pump. However. I've become really good at changing those.

You can get into a far newer gas truck, for the same money as an older diesel. Maintenance costs, oil/filters/etc are cheaper on a gas truck. Good luck with your purchase.
Old 01-29-2016, 01:21 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
IMO, there are three primary reasons to buy a diesel:

1. Towing. Nothing tows like a diesel; smooth power everywhere, good mileage, no stress. Even medium to light loads are better with the right diesel.

2. High altitude. A NA gas engine loses 2-3% of it's torque for every 1,000 feet of altitude. If you drive at 7,000', do the math. Especially important when towing - see #1.

3. You just want one. I love driving a diesel. A boat load of torque at the touch of the pedal. If you want one, go get it! This is America, dammit!
Old 01-29-2016, 07:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the posts. I'll have to seriously think about this
Old 01-29-2016, 09:47 PM

Received 141 Likes on 107 Posts
Another aspect to point out..... If you're normal driving habits tend to be around town or short trips then a diesel is probably not the right truck, unless you need the towing capacity. Also, if you prefer to have a vehicle that warms up quickly on cold mornings then a gasoline engine is probably what you'll want.

Of course, a lot of this depends on how new of a truck you get too. The newer the truck, the more user friendly point and shoot they are.
Old 01-31-2016, 08:26 PM

Received 209 Likes on 152 Posts
An older diesel sounds like a rock crusher, and smell like an out of tune furnace. A newer one will kill you on maintenance.

If you pull hard, like a big camper, the mileage gained makes it worth it. A diesel truck is built to pull hard hour after hour as a normal work load. A gasser will soon wear out doing the same job. Diesels, by burning a higher energy fuel in a more efficient (higher compression) engine will get superior mileage, especially when pulling hard. The difference is less under a light load because the diesel has a higher internal initial load, ie more oil to stir, bigger heavier parts to move, etc.

Most of us have found the CTD to be addictive.
Old 02-01-2016, 12:24 AM

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by j_martin

Most of us have found the CTD to be addictive.
AMEN to that John!

Cheers!

Mike