General Diesel Discussion Talk about general diesel engines (theory, etc.) If it's about diesel, and it doesn't fit anywhere else, then put it right in here.

Duramax vs Cummins towing video, Great viewing

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2007, 04:04 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by TxChristopher
but for now the Dodge does not outpower the GM offerings.
for now, Dodge certainly seems to outwork the GM offerings...
Old 01-23-2007, 05:03 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think that a lot of Dodge guys want to be the power king of the hill, and there's nothing wrong with that. My truck, bombed, might hang with a current stock DMax towing, maybe even slightly more than hang with a stock DMax. But a bombed Dmax is going to learn me. What do I care? I don't.

The point is, regardless of whether the DMax can beat me to the next stop light or not, overall my particular Cummins, with a 6 speed manual is a better overall value than any DMax, even with the Allison.

Not to say there's anything wrong with the DMax Allison, but I think its a fact that if you took any two trucks USED equal year models, equal mileage, one is a 6 speed Cummins versus DMax any trans, the Cummins is going to hold more demand.

That is considering those people looking at the two trucks are not retarded, and actually know the differences between the two drivetrains. Or that those looking at the truck have no brand loyalties.

I may one day try a DMax (likely not, but its not too far fetched), but there's no way I'd buy one used. I'd buy a 200k mile Cummins 6 speed, before I bought a 100k mile DMax. That aluminum concerns me over the long haul. And I don't keep my vehicles short term.

I have no brand loyalty, but I keep my truck because it is a more valueable product than even a brand new DMax. The Turd 6.0h no would make a poor rental in my opinion, I don't even think about PSD's anymore.

- JyRO
Old 01-23-2007, 05:40 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
but there's no way I'd buy one used. I'd buy a 200k mile Cummins 6 speed, before I bought a 100k mile DMax. That aluminum concerns me over the long haul. And I don't keep my vehicles short term.
This is my concern also. I don't feel the Dmax as a 30,000 mile a year truck will be cost effective over the long haul when compared to the Cummins equipped Dodge.

I may do a good job putting on couple hundred thousand miles in the short term but it's not designed as a 350,000 mile engine like the Cummins is. GM even admits it. They actually designed it with 200,000 as it's target.

BIC lighter throw away engine is what it is. I get a kick out of the comments where guys with Dodges are eyes as big as saucers about their friends Dmax.. its fast, its smooth . Yes it is. I know I was there. Get what you like. They will treat you good for a few years most likely. I wouldn't keep one for the long term.
Old 01-23-2007, 06:00 PM

[QUOTE=RAMRODD;1315603]
I still have the same truck, it only has 22,000 miles on it and of course a new engine. I use it as a testbed for product development. I may sell it later and get a 2008 LMM.

What amazes me is you are happy if just a stock duramax wont overheat.
Why after all your trouble would you want to get a new Duramax??
I put 10,000 +miles hauling hay last summer I know what I weighed and I am not about to post it. Another thing was I was about 11 1/2 wide. In the stock setting my 06 (yes it is rated less hp and TQ then a stock 06 Duramax) I could pull it about 55 mph With my tst on 2/2 (that is about 50 extra hp and 120 extra tq) I pulled it 75 mph and some days it was 90 -100 and I never had any overheating. The cooling fan rarley turned on.
I'm not saying buy a Dodge, but after all you went threw I think the last thing I would buy would be a duramax!!

Because I can tow my 7k boat or 8k worth of horses with a 135rwhp tune in the truck at 70 mph and stil get 13.7 mpg and the fan never even runs ever even in 98* heat. You said yours comes on rarely, which is more than never. I have outrun unloaded dodges like in the video while towing the same boat. Unloaded the truck cuts 0-60 in 5.7 secs and 14.20 quarter miles.

It is not in the video but on the way out to west Texas, even though the truck was stock and with that high drag load, I outran an older dodge towing 3 cars on a take three trailer and his friend running along with him towing a big tall 32 foot double hull boat. This was up the same grades going the other way, but it was dark and cool outside as in 55* where my truck would not get hot. Both of them were pouring light smoke in the left lane trying to keep out in front, they had passed me but I took off after them in the right lane.

I have the fix if I decide to tow larger high drag loads. If GM would not have made it a edit match I would have left it alone, but they didn't. The Duramax is an awesome towing machine, just the cooling system is a little short on the LLY trucks for truly heavy towing.

Now the new trucks have 6 speed Allisons, a more powerful ECM, sunroofs, stronger frames, much stronger block and internals, and vastly improved interiors even though mine is really good. The cooling system has endless upgrades, and they are even quiter tan they were before, which was already quiet. I plan to run low 12's maybe high 11's with a 2008 and it will be fairly easy to accomplish and STILL be able to tow huge anytime I want in total comfort.

Thats why.

The Dodges are great, make no mistake about it, but the Duramax trucks are too.

Old 01-23-2007, 06:05 PM
Banned

The Dodges are great, make no mistake about it, but the Duramax trucks are too.

I don't know about that... I've heard that they've been having problems with overheating...
Old 01-23-2007, 06:07 PM

Originally Posted by hoot
This is my concern also. I don't feel the Dmax as a 30,000 mile a year truck will be cost effective over the long haul when compared to the Cummins equipped Dodge.

I may do a good job putting on couple hundred thousand miles in the short term but it's not designed as a 350,000 mile engine like the Cummins is. GM even admits it. They actually designed it with 200,000 as it's target.

BIC lighter throw away engine is what it is. I get a kick out of the comments where guys with Dodges are eyes as big as saucers about their friends Dmax.. its fast, its smooth . Yes it is. I know I was there. Get what you like. They will treat you good for a few years most likely. I wouldn't keep one for the long term.

Rick Lance tows heavy for a living and got 300,000 miles out an abused Dmax before needing rebuild. He has over a million miles on his Duramaxes without issues and he tows over factory weight limits constantly. So the Duramax is reliable.

Besides, I only have 22,000 miles in 2 1/2 years, what do I care if it will go 350,000 miles? To me they are old in two years no matter the mileage, I get tired of the same truck and get the newest and latest greatest version.

Old 01-23-2007, 06:10 PM

Reasons I went with a Cummins are,
Way overbuilt for a pickup truck.
Way simple design. Inline 6. Very durable.
Way easy to wrench on. Lotsa room in engine compartment. Can add another turbo easily.
Kinda like a trust .44magnum six-shooter. More than most will ever need and reliable as dirt.
Nuff said...
Old 01-23-2007, 06:14 PM

Originally Posted by Begle1
I don't know about that... I've heard that they've been having problems with overheating...

Yeah and the older Dodges had trannies that crapped out every other day. None of them are perfect, and I can fix the overheating or buy a new one from GM that is also immune to overheat.

Old 01-23-2007, 06:16 PM

Originally Posted by XLR8R
for now, Dodge certainly seems to outwork the GM offerings...
In what way? comfort?

Old 01-23-2007, 06:16 PM

Rick Lance He has over a million miles on his Duramaxes without issues.
I'm not so sure about that statement right there.
Old 01-23-2007, 06:25 PM
Adminstrator-ess

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
This has turned into a stupid brand war, so now it's over.