General Diesel Discussion Talk about general diesel engines (theory, etc.) If it's about diesel, and it doesn't fit anywhere else, then put it right in here.

Duramax vs Cummins towing video, Great viewing

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2007, 12:43 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
His load was rather heavy large and flat faced. Nothing aerodynamic about it.
The whole video wouldn’t hold up in court in my opinion.

The duramax in this video held up to a good beating
Consider the weight and circumstances, driver.
Old 01-15-2007, 01:04 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wow! that was sad.....
Old 01-15-2007, 02:38 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation ...

OK..first off..the Dodge he was trying to pass was NOT 10 years old guys..it was a 2001-2002 3/4 ton 24 valve 2wd ext cab.{stock who knows,at least no gauges were on the pillar}..the Chevy was a 04.5 or 05' so the difference was maybe 2-3 years in trucks.Second obviously there was a malfunction somewhere,because a stock LLY should be able to hang or pass a stock 24 valve dodge no problem.Dodge was 190-205 RWHP stock and that D-max was 240-265 somewhere RWHP stock with an equal or better amount of torque.I am not siding with the idiot behind the wheel for keeping it floored while lights and bells are going off..but that truck had an issue that was unrelated to "cummins is more powerful" or "GM makes a bad product" blah blah blah..I agree the tape will probably void his warranty when they ask him why he didn't stop after the temps reached the red the first time.I have driven that section of I-10 between Junction and San Antonio near Kerrville many times the hills aren't that bad comapred to the monsters we have in Northern California..or Colorado for that matter.

Last edited by TireHauler04; 01-15-2007 at 02:41 AM. Reason: added text
Old 01-15-2007, 03:54 AM

This guy is the reason why I dont buy a used truck. How stupid, that "was" a nice truck. I have always drove Dodge, and believe me, I've had my trouble with my cummins in head winds pulling my camper, but I baby my truck. Must be nice to have enough money to trash a $30,000 truck down the toilet for a video that proves nothing but how stupid you are.

2001 Dodge Ram 3500 4x4 Cummins 5sp
105,000 Trouble free miles "baby" miles because I love my Cummins
Old 01-15-2007, 06:00 AM

Originally Posted by Ilikebikes
Good video, but long! Gotta love inline diesel power.

I wish it was an old, junky first gen out towing him. That would make it even funnier!
That would have been great, I could see my 1st gen out running him on the hill.

That guy needs his head examined for loading that truck like that, pulling it on would have been a huge improvement.
Old 01-15-2007, 07:53 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
In the aviation world we call this lack of "Situational Awareness."
Old 01-15-2007, 09:56 AM

There must be something seriously wrong with that truck AND driver. I have never had any overheating with my 2001 2500 HD Duramax. Ive done some long hauls through Vermont, and the white mountains in New Hampshire. But then again I have an LB 7...
Old 01-15-2007, 10:11 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
I have to say this video is funny as all

Not even going to speculate on the the trucks issues. He should of bought a Dodge with a Cummins if he wanted to run with the big boys. That crappy old 24 Valve just walked the dog on him. If the Dodge guy would of known he had a challenge from the Duramax it may of gotten ugly real quick.
Old 01-15-2007, 10:28 AM

I also thought that it was a funny video . Did he win in court? I don't know who said it but "silly duramax v8's are for gassers" Great video
Old 01-15-2007, 11:07 AM
Banned

In the video, the truck's radiator fluid shot up to 255, and then it started ringing the alarm, but it never went above 255. Then the alarm stopped the second it dropped below 255.

I think that the engine automatically defueled as soon as it hit 255, and that was why he lost power. The computer was in control of the engine anyways; his pedal was to the ground, but it wasn't going to go faster than it wanted to. As he probably did it several times before, and was making a point for the court, I don't think that he really could've hurt the engine there. I was impressed by how fast it shot up to 255 and then how long it just stayed there. His video clearly demonstrated a defective cooling system, but it also demonstrated how effective the self-preservation instincts of the engine are.

Which leads me to the other possibility; does the gauge just not register above 255? As it's digital I would doubt that, but that's almost what it looked like.
Old 01-15-2007, 11:08 AM
Banned

the truck is an 04.5 LLY. I know who it is and he has a VERY bad overheater. He has run that truck foot on the floor with the alarms going off for months during the summer just to prove his little point. I dont know how or why its still driving. Only some LLY's are affected by it, some are worse than others and some dont overheat at all. None of the LB7's or LBZ's overheat.

GM is first going to laugh when he shows that video, and then they will get up and walk out of the courtroom when they hear his cell phone ring tone.

reason the LLY's overheat is because of emmissions equipment. An LLY is more or less an LB7 that simply has an EGR and variable vane turbo bolted on. These two emmissions components when not set up exactly right, place added load on the cooling system. However GM did not upgrade the cooling system accordingly and account for this margin of error, it is a direct carry-over from the LB7, which was a dumb idea. The VVT (turbo) is the root cause, as explained to me by some very knowledgable people. Garrett QC is not the best, some VVT's leave the factory 'slightly' miscalibrated/misassembled/goofed on the vane position sensors and actuator assembly's. The ECM is calibrated to have its fueling tables in direct correspondance to vane position/desired boost tables. This has to be very specific because VVT's by nature create LARGE amounts of drive pressure/back pressure. Thats one of the ideas behind using a VVT. Faster spoolup, and the increased drive pressure allows more exhaust to be pressurized thru the EGR, instead of flowing thru out the tailpipe. This increased drive pressure places large amounts of load on the engine and in turn, load on the cooling system. So if you have 'some' VVT's that are slightly out of whack, the ECM doesnt know the 'exact' vane position. Therefore it might think the vane position is at one setting, and its adjusting fueling for that setting. Turbo creates more back pressure than the ECM is expecting, fueling is too much for the actual vane position because the ECM doesnt know any better, and this load gets transferred to the cooling system. Temp starts to go up and then the issue just starts compounding itself.

The cooling system IS adequate when everything is in-line and perfect as far as the emmissions components go.

The ECM has a lot of protection features built in, it starts pulling back fuel at around 250* and by 260 degrees fuel is pulled back to the equivilant of ~45% throttle. Good thing because some drivers are not smart enough to pull over when it starts dinging at you and saying "ENGINE OVERHEATED" in the driver info center!!

some LLY's have it VERY bad as shown. Some are only semi-bad, but the majority of them are fine. Still, that is not acceptable at all, GM dropped the ball by not addressing the cooling system...however it might be possible that everything as far as the VVT assembly was "perfect" on the prototypes, so the issue wasnt appearant until they went into massive production??? If they had trucks in prototype stage that overheated that badly I cant imagine them sweeping it under the rug and releasing the LLY anyways....thats the only thign I can think of, that the issue simply wasnt found in testing because the VVT's were a "good" batch.

so as far as buying an LLY, the odds are good you'll be fine, but its still kind of a crapshoot. Many are lucky including me, but then there are some like in the video who are just terrible.

JMO.

ben
Old 01-15-2007, 11:12 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Begle1
In the video, the truck's radiator fluid shot up to 255, and then it started ringing the alarm, but it never went above 255. Then the alarm stopped the second it dropped below 255.

I think that the engine automatically defueled as soon as it hit 255, and that was why he lost power. The computer was in control of the engine anyways; his pedal was to the ground, but it wasn't going to go faster than it wanted to. As he probably did it several times before, and was making a point for the court, I don't think that he really could've hurt the engine there. I was impressed by how fast it shot up to 255 and then how long it just stayed there. His video clearly demonstrated a defective cooling system, but it also demonstrated how effective the self-preservation instincts of the engine are.

Which leads me to the other possibility; does the gauge just not register above 255? As it's digital I would doubt that, but that's almost what it looked like.
yes correct, GM designed the ECM to do everything possible to save the engine in conditions like this. You can even drive it for something like 50 miles with very low or no coolant at all, just in a severe limp mode.

the ECT sensor registers from like -40 up to +376* farenheit IIRC...
Old 01-15-2007, 11:16 AM
Banned

So if his turbo is over-supplying boost pressure there, what would his EGT's look like?

Your turbo has to be running hot for a while before you see it translate to engine temperatures, doesn't it? The Duramax has the aluminum heads, EGR system and water-cooled turbo, all of which probably transfer exhaust heat to the radiator system faster; but regardless, if that is his problem, then it's a miracle that he hasn't burned out his valves and pistons.

Now I want to see the same video, but with a boost gauge and a pyrometer...
Old 01-15-2007, 11:42 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Begle1
So if his turbo is over-supplying boost pressure there, what would his EGT's look like?

Your turbo has to be running hot for a while before you see it translate to engine temperatures, doesn't it? The Duramax has the aluminum heads, EGR system and water-cooled turbo, all of which probably transfer exhaust heat to the radiator system faster; but regardless, if that is his problem, then it's a miracle that he hasn't burned out his valves and pistons.

Now I want to see the same video, but with a boost gauge and a pyrometer...
no not boost. drive pressure. The truck was stock as far as tune, so EGT's could still be "within normal limits", yet still place a huge additional load on the engine and cooling system. The dmax has an oil cooler that has coolant running through it, so when the turbo is getting hot its not only heatig the coolant, but its heating the oil to. The fact that its trying to cool EGR too doesnt help either.
Old 01-15-2007, 11:46 AM

Obviously, Tirehauler04 and beagle are the only ones to examine this with a level head. Like said earlier, the guy is a moron, the dmax was clearly defueling like it SHOULD have been, his cooling system has to be full of dirt,dust beeswings etc (At least I hope). For what it's worth, my fathers stock 01 dmax will walk all over my stock 01 dodge cummins, I need an edge ez to equal his stock chevy. But I did get my dodge truck for less than 12 grand. ........The dodge in the video could be 100 miles up the road with a dead pedal too...

Quick Reply: Duramax vs Cummins towing video, Great viewing