General Diesel Discussion Talk about general diesel engines (theory, etc.) If it's about diesel, and it doesn't fit anywhere else, then put it right in here.

Do you guys (and gals) shut down while fueling up?

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2007, 09:15 PM
DTR's 'Wrench thrower...' And he aims for the gusto...

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I don't shut off either one of my diesels when fueling. I come in off the highway, fuel up and head out. And almost always at the same truck stop. Running it lets the temps stabilize and I'll be out of there in a couple of minutes anyway, no need for a re-start. Although, I sometimes wonder about my nice truck sitting out there by itself running while I'm inside paying. Hmmmm. All those signs about "shut it off" are related to gas engines and high tension sparks. Imagine spilled fuel, a gas engine, and a broken spark plug wire on a running engine. Give me a diesel!

Wetspirit
Old 01-22-2007, 11:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Leave it running unless I have to pay inside.
Old 01-22-2007, 11:11 PM
Banned

I don't shut it off, unless they don't have pay at the pump. And I try not to go to stations that don't.

Drinks are in the cooler, saves me a trip inside
Old 01-23-2007, 08:13 AM
Banned

Shooot, drinks may be in the cooler, but I gotta pee. When I'm in my truck I'm usually doing long highway runs. So I normally look for Flying J's, TA Travel Centers, or Pilot Stations. I spend about 30 to 45 minutes there. Fuel, pull the truck up, shut it off, go inside, use the restroom, find something to eat, or a big ole cup of turbo coffee. So again, mine get's shut off after time enough to let the turbo cool off.

- JyRO
Old 01-23-2007, 08:22 AM

I leave mine runnin unless its a bad part of town.
Old 01-23-2007, 08:39 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It's quicker just to turn it off.

Starting the truck takes about 1 second, plus the half a second to turn it off.

Rolling up your window, checking your pocket, locking the door, unlocking the door and putting the key back in the pocket takes longer than that. I don't think having the truck off for 7 minutes counts as a "heat cycle".
Old 01-23-2007, 08:46 AM
Banned

Yeah, I agree. Like I said, I let the turbo cool down, then shut it off. When I crank it back up in 10 to 20 minutes, it hasn't cooled down hardly at all.
Old 01-23-2007, 08:58 AM

We have to shut down out here in Oregon {after cool down} as we are one of the few states left that has station attendants. All they do is pump the fuel, not like when I was a young lad working the pumps and had to check oil, water, air pressure, and wash the windows. Those were real service staions back then now it's more like a pit stop with a grocery store attached.
Old 01-23-2007, 10:19 AM

Let's see... logic would indicate, to be safe, one would need to push their non-running vehicle to and away from the pump when refueling. So if running vehicles are pulling up to and leaving during the time everyone is next to each other fueling... what's it matter? If anything... there's more electricity production going on during starting a vehicle. Am I missing something on this whole "safety" issue?

I rarely shut it down... exhaust is loud enough to drown out anyone wanting to give me an earful (which has never happened to me).
My ignition keys don't shut down my CTD ... the pto **** does... so no fear leaving it running with the keys in my pocket... it will only go the direction the steering wheel's currently locked at.
Old 01-23-2007, 11:50 AM
Banned

What's the difference if you have x amount of cars pulling in and pulling out with their engines running right next to the same people that are pumping gas??? If it truely is a safety thing then shouldn't we be shutting off our engines before we get to the station and then get out a push our vehicle up to the pump..
Oh BTW I always have and always will leave it running...

Ooops I think I just said the same thing as thump93yj.
Old 01-23-2007, 12:20 PM
DTR's Night Watchman & Poet Laureate

Last year KS modified the unattended vehicle statute( running without an occupant in it) to include vehicles fueling and vehicles with locked doors. We were having such a problem with auto theft , that the FOP and KS Troopers Assc. got it passed.
Even if your vehicle is locked, if its running and your not in it, it can cost you $100 plus court costs. No exception for semi's either...
So, I shut mine off, its not worth the ticket..
Old 01-23-2007, 12:24 PM

Originally Posted by Chrisreyn
Last year KS modified the unattended vehicle statute( running without an occupant in it) to include vehicles fueling and vehicles with locked doors. We were having such a problem with auto theft , that the FOP and KS Troopers Assc. got it passed.
Even if your vehicle is locked, if its running and your not in it, it can cost you $100 plus court costs. No exception for semi's either...
So, I shut mine off, its not worth the ticket..
Talk about a turbo timer buzz kill.........man.....
Old 01-23-2007, 01:41 PM

Most of the time I shut it down because I might have to make a run into the store or don't want to suck gas fumes into the engine. People also look at you funny when you leave it runnin. Since the engine is already warm, oil pressure builds almost instantaneously when I restart, so I might as well just shut it off. Waste less fuel too.
Old 01-23-2007, 03:36 PM

Originally Posted by wcbcruzer
Most of the time I shut it down because I might have to make a run into the store or don't want to suck gas fumes into the engine. People also look at you funny when you leave it runnin. Since the engine is already warm, oil pressure builds almost instantaneously when I restart, so I might as well just shut it off. Waste less fuel too.
The fuel saving statement isn't necissarily true. If you notice people sitting in heavy traffic that shut their car off, they burn more fuel cranking back up that leaving it idling. I am pretty sure it is about the same with diesels. It takes a good bit of fuel to get a vehicle started as compared to letting it idle for a bit.
Old 01-23-2007, 03:48 PM
Chapter President

I think there was only 2 times I've shut down the 12Vs we ran while fueling, and there has only been 2 times I've left my new truck running at the pump. I don't know why I changed other than to avoid burning fuel while fueling up. (That and to avoid finding people who think the fuel station is going to blow up)(Oh and I get in my truck after starting the pump)

Quick Reply: Do you guys (and gals) shut down while fueling up?