General Diesel Discussion Talk about general diesel engines (theory, etc.) If it's about diesel, and it doesn't fit anywhere else, then put it right in here.

Do you guys (and gals) shut down while fueling up?

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2007, 05:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ohiostate24
I always leave mine runnin. Im from the old school where its a unwritten rule that its not good to turn em off and on all the time.

I'm with him

I dont need keys to start my truck or shut it down (worn out ignition lock), and i doubt anyone is going to steal my heap
Old 01-23-2007, 05:06 PM
Banned

I might. 9 10 (to reach the necessary 10 characters).
Old 01-23-2007, 05:58 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by thump93yj

I rarely shut it down... exhaust is loud enough to drown out anyone wanting to give me an earful (which has never happened to me).
Well, that's another thing. My stock truck is vocal enough to make it hard to hold a conversation outside of it; if you have an even louder truck, then letting it shake the entire gas station overhang for 10 minutes while people are trying to talk on cell phones and eat their Twinkies is just rude and inconsiderate.
Old 01-23-2007, 06:32 PM

Originally Posted by Begle1
Well, that's another thing. My stock truck is vocal enough to make it hard to hold a conversation outside of it; if you have an even louder truck, then letting it shake the entire gas station overhang for 10 minutes while people are trying to talk on cell phones and eat their Twinkies is just rude and inconsiderate.
Yeah noise is another reason why I turn it off. So maybe people look at you funny because of the noise, not the fact that your fueling with the engine on.
Old 01-23-2007, 06:34 PM

I love it when the gas station attendent comes out smoking a cigarette and asks me to shut my truck off
Old 01-23-2007, 07:14 PM

I shut it down now, when I first got it I left it run, not sure why I changed. But when I leave it running I just lock the doors with the keyless entry remote, I keep the remote on a seperate key chain for just such occasions.
Old 01-23-2007, 07:39 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Begle1
letting it shake the entire gas station overhang for 10 minutes while people are trying to talk on cell phones and eat their Twinkies is just rude and inconsiderate.
dang, Begle, that's the main reason to do it, to get them OFF the cell phone!

i shut mine down
Old 01-23-2007, 07:56 PM

I leave it run and hit the quick trip button on the remote starter if I have to leave the truck. I've never been asked to shut it down... yet.

I've learned to hate stations without dedicated diesel pumps. Why is it there can be only 1 one car in the station and it's always getting gas at the gas/diesel pump? Must be my luck!
Old 01-23-2007, 11:18 PM
Chapter President

Originally Posted by ClackClack
I leave it run and hit the quick trip button on the remote starter if I have to leave the truck. I've never been asked to shut it down... yet.

I've learned to hate stations without dedicated diesel pumps. Why is it there can be only 1 one car in the station and it's always getting gas at the gas/diesel pump? Must be my luck!
"Why is it there can be only 1 one car in the station and it's always getting gas at the gas/diesel pump?"

I hear ya Clack, that happens to me all the time. One guy's car was in front of it and he was not. So I thought he's in paying, so I sat there waiting. He came out of the quick sack/wendy's/walgreens/gas station towards his car. Set all his goods on the roof, looked at me and pulled the pump handle out, unscrewed the cap and started pumping!!! I thought, 5 rows of gas pumps and just two diesel pumps and I pick this station at this point in time.... I left and went elsewhere.

Don't usually shut mine off, leave kids in truck, have them lock doors and unlock for me only(that's around my microbe of a town) otherwise I'm swiping my card, slap in some stanadyne, nozzle 20 ish gallons and I'm gone. When I come off the road I can do this and when I'm just about done filling up is when my pyro says, "ok, I'm cool enough now".

Air to fuel ratio on a diesel is 80-90/1 and 25/1 loaded, at least that's what I heard at a GM school. Gassers, 14.5/1......and diesels are the bad guys??
Old 01-23-2007, 11:51 PM

Thumbs down Connecticut...

Almost forgot to look up Connecticut's law on pumping with the motor running. As I thought, its a no no here.

Sec. 14-260. Filling tanks. Placing gasoline or other fuel in the tank of any vehicle while the engine of such vehicle is running shall be an infraction.

That will Cost you $93.00....

Thankfully I don't know of too many cities and towns around here that would take the time to enforce such a statute. But might have to look out for the State Troopers and Dept of Motor Vehicle Officers......
Old 01-24-2007, 12:13 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I try to only use pay at the pump Diesel.....Usually Walmart. The truck runs and Im standing by it. If for some reason I have to go inside the store then I kill it if im by myself.
Old 01-24-2007, 06:10 AM

Originally Posted by Bluedeviltorque
Almost forgot to look up Connecticut's law on pumping with the motor running. As I thought, its a no no here.

Sec. 14-260. Filling tanks. Placing gasoline or other fuel in the tank of any vehicle while the engine of such vehicle is running shall be an infraction.

That will Cost you $93.00....

Thankfully I don't know of too many cities and towns around here that would take the time to enforce such a statute. But might have to look out for the State Troopers and Dept of Motor Vehicle Officers......
Does that apply at the truck side of a truck stop?
Old 01-24-2007, 04:38 PM

Originally Posted by TravisDj
If you notice people sitting in heavy traffic that shut their car off, they burn more fuel cranking back up that leaving it idling. I am pretty sure it is about the same with diesels. It takes a good bit of fuel to get a vehicle started as compared to letting it idle for a bit.
I think your mistaken to say shutting it off will use more gas/diesel to restart it. IIRC on most vehicles if the engine is warm and will be shut off more then 3 minutes then it will save gas/diesel by shutting it off over leaving it run. My self I have been in traffic jams due to a wreck to where I didn’t move for over 30 minutes, so by your thinking anyone would be wasting fuel if they turned off their engine while waiting for traffic to start move again!
Old 01-24-2007, 04:43 PM
Banned

I too do not beleive it takes a mother-load of fuel to start a vehicle. Let me re-phrase that. Most vehicles. The starter turns it over, you need somewhere near idle fuel or a skosh more, but that's it. If anything, its just extra wear on the starter.

The exception to this is the 6.0h no. I likely requires lots of fuel, starter wear and battery wear to actually bring one of those things to life.
Old 01-24-2007, 04:47 PM

I leave it runnin' just to see how many people look to see whats makin all the noise

Quick Reply: Do you guys (and gals) shut down while fueling up?