General Diesel Discussion Talk about general diesel engines (theory, etc.) If it's about diesel, and it doesn't fit anywhere else, then put it right in here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

$130 scanner+guages+mpg -- opinions?

Old 02-09-2006, 10:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
$130 scanner+guages+mpg -- opinions?

Anybody seen one of these? Found it a few links from here.

www.scanguage.com

code scanner, guage displays, trip/mpg

$130 with shipping. Saw someone did a group buy (10min) for $100.

Lowell
Old 02-09-2006, 10:49 PM
Chapter President

Ordered one Wed. should have it by Sat.

Just orderd one will see if it works on the 04 dodge diesel and 00 toyota van then on to find a 05 or 06 to see if it works on them.
If someone did a group buy I wish they would speak up and tell us the results.
Old 02-09-2006, 11:27 PM

Sorry, the group buy was on some other list. It was just
a link on the 2nd or 3rd google page.
Old 02-10-2006, 10:26 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I called the Scan Gauge people a few years ago with questions. They told me on a diesel engine their gauge was only as accurate as the gauge on an overhead console and wouldn't be accurate at all if the engine was modified beyond stock.
Old 02-11-2006, 10:44 PM
Chapter President

Hooked up scan gauge today

Got it on the truck easy to hook up. You have to program in the engine size and fuel tank size. Also you can adjust it to give you correct fuel mileage by seeing what the gauge shows gallons used compared to the gallons you used to fill up. I'll need a couple of day to get it dialed in.
You can watch four different things at one time, mph, instant mpg, rpms, volts, air intake temp., water temp., tps, load on motor, IAT, MAP got mine to 36.4psi., doesn't show fuel pressure or exhaust temp. It sames average mpg, trip mpg, top speed so your familly can't hide, max rpm, elapsed time, most of these reset when you fill up or after 8hrs.
I've probably forgot something, but it sure is nice to see the instant and boost. Air intake temp. will be interesting in the summer.
Oh you can read and clear codes as well.
Tree DR
Old 02-12-2006, 10:17 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I'll be interested to see how the instant mpgs works. The scan gauge folks told me it worked off the throttle position but the only way to make it accurate for modified diesels would be to meter the incoming fuel minus the return fuel. Something they weren't ever planning on doing.
Old 02-12-2006, 01:10 PM

I have a scanguage. I've used it in my crv for 1000 miles. I've tracked it against actual calculations. Scanguage mileage ave. 25.73 actual 24.33.

As a trip meter, its as accurate as the oem ones installed. But I do like the other features. The map guage helped my identify a problem in the turbo section of the truck I just purchased. (the dealer is picking up the tab)

And its already paid for itself by resetting the check engine light in my tradin!

I wish the fuel pressure gauge worked in the Dodge's Anyway, I plan to spend alot more time running the scanguage in the diesel. It is adjustable in some cases so I'll see how close i can get it to accurate.

BTW... I adjust the MPH to agree with my GPS. That's about as accurate as I think you can get.
Old 02-12-2006, 09:47 PM
Chapter President

Oh Ya!

I haven't got it completly dialed in yet. Instant works great. I also like all the other features. My truck is stock so most everything works great, I do wish the fp' fuel pressure worked allso.
I went for a little trip 125mi 29 intown the rest at 55mph cruise. Overhead said 25.6 scan gauge said 23.3 actual 20.67mpg. No hydrogen on this trip. Now I adjusted the amount of fuel use on the scan gauge to match what was used and it should be very close.
Tree DR
Old 08-09-2006, 02:57 PM

Ok, I've been running this scanguage for sometime now & here are my observations.

Fuel guage = U can dial it in to match what your hand calculations are. Under certain conditions this works. Example if I constantly run empty and dial it in I can get it pretty accurate. Within a gl. However, Most of the time I haul. Either the camper, the golf cart, or both. Hauling under load will throw the calculations off to the point they are unusable! I've had as much as a 5 or gl variance! Conclusion = it's a guestimate at best.

Works great for instant mpg, map, water temp etc.

The BAD news = Well I have to constantly watch the thing. Sometimes when you start the truck the guage comes on but doesn't register anything. the only way to reset it is to shut the truck off and wait for it to shut down. VERY frustrating!

And the REALLY bad news is.... I've had a few converstions and e-mails about this irratic startup issue with the manufacturer and have gotten absolutely no cooperation in resolving the issue! I got tired of calling & they just ignore my emails now. Some customer support! They got my money now..

Frankly, I like the product aside from the frustrating irratic startups and customer support. I think with a little research, I will be looking elasewhere next time!
Old 08-10-2006, 07:48 AM

You can do all that plus moniter about 100 different parameters and get 3 levels of performance with Diablosport's Predator. It's basically a scan tool with alot...ALOT of options.. and good price. (I have nothing to do with selling these, Just giving info...)
Old 08-10-2006, 08:56 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by trik396
You can do all that plus moniter about 100 different parameters and get 3 levels of performance with Diablosport's Predator. It's basically a scan tool with alot...ALOT of options.. and good price. (I have nothing to do with selling these, Just giving info...)
I agree the Preadator is a nice piece, but the only Cummins it is avalliable for is the CR.
Old 08-10-2006, 03:11 PM

Sorry... I forgot I was in the Gen. diesel section... This is where the 12valver's, 24 and CR guys co-mingle....
Old 08-10-2006, 06:39 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by trik396
Sorry... I forgot I was in the Gen. diesel section... This is where the 12valver's, 24 and CR guys co-mingle....
I really can be confusing when we aren't seperated