Fuels / BioDiesel / Diesel Prices Use this forum to discuss your biodiesel information, and to find the best price on fuel.

My free fuel cost me $1000

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2009, 07:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by catnfool
I guess exploring "alternative fuels" is a bad thing when normal people do it?
With the economy being soft and fuel prices being high you would think that when a man is willing to do a little work to run an alternative fuel that the government would be a little more supportive of his efforts.
Old 04-24-2009, 07:11 PM

Originally Posted by joker834
With the economy being soft and fuel prices being high you would think that when a man is willing to do a little work to run an alternative fuel that the government would be a little more supportive of his efforts.
Ya really.
Good luck to you.

On a different note, how do they road tax hybrid/electric vehicles? What's the difference between using electric and brewing your own Bio diesel?!?
Old 04-27-2009, 12:45 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Anytime I have asked the big Q about the Hybrid cars paying road taxes I get told I must be crazy as if we make them pay road taxes no one will buy one as they cost more then a regular car and thus should be exempt from road taxes that and they pollute less then cars and they help stop the earth from getting warmer.
Old 04-27-2009, 04:35 PM

we need a diesel electric drive system.
then we won't need to worry about road taxes.
just like the hybrids, right.....
we'll get slammed anyway cause we drive trucks....
cc
Old 04-27-2009, 05:32 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
ok after looking through the other posts on this issue.

first I'm sorry to hear the news..
how about a different tack..
pay with pennies but by sure to ask/find out what's required to pay the road tax..shoot man the fuel free so you have pay the state 50 cents a gallon..so!!diesel is around 2.30 a gallon..

the kicker is its almost impossible for an individual to pay the state fuel tax. might not apply to other states but in NC unless they've change the rules since they exempted biodiesel. I checked..what's the bond for? non payment for a commerical place..ok..so we're not commerical.. you'd think that in NC and gov's demand for money they'd figure out how to make easy for alternate fuel people to pay the road tax. I'd pay my share.. even then I'd come out ahead.

now for using WMO instead WVO..pollution is a concern..this is a different issue than road tax.

-dkenny

ps I have 4 that run biodiesel..but none on WMO..1 is absolutly exempt from road tax..its a boat..
Old 04-27-2009, 09:51 PM

Don't know about other fuel but when I converted my 74 dodge to propane I would pay a road tax to the propane supplier it was like $60 in 2000. If I remember correcty haven't payed it in a while because it don't see much hwy time any more. 8 miles to the gallon sucks even though propane is cheeper than unleaded.
Old 04-28-2009, 08:47 AM

Originally Posted by dkenny
ok after looking through the other posts on this issue.

first I'm sorry to hear the news..
how about a different tack..
pay with pennies but by sure to ask/find out what's required to pay the road tax..shoot man the fuel free so you have pay the state 50 cents a gallon..so!!diesel is around 2.30 a gallon...
Thats why I am applying for my blenders license becasue it is a bargin to run the WMO.

the kicker is its almost impossible for an individual to pay the state fuel tax. might not apply to other states but in NC unless they've change the rules since they exempted biodiesel. I checked..what's the bond for? non payment for a commerical place..ok..so we're not commerical.. you'd think that in NC and gov's demand for money they'd figure out how to make easy for alternate fuel people to pay the road tax. I'd pay my share.. even then I'd come out ahead..
Paying the road tax is not an issue. You track your usage and milage and mail them a check on the 22nd of the month.

now for using WMO instead WVO..pollution is a concern..this is a different issue than road tax.
I understand pollution is an issue but after running WMO I would say that the diesels with the smoke turned up are putting out much more smoke than I was.

ps I have 4 that run biodiesel..but none on WMO..1 is absolutly exempt from road tax..its a boat..
The reason I am interested in the WMO is the simplicity of it. A simples bag filter for $3.50 and you can have 100 gallons of fuel in no time.
Old 04-29-2009, 10:17 PM

Originally Posted by DBLR
Anytime I have asked the big Q about the Hybrid cars paying road taxes I get told I must be crazy as if we make them pay road taxes no one will buy one as they cost more then a regular car and thus should be exempt from road taxes that and they pollute less then cars and they help stop the earth from getting warmer.

FWIW. Your not crazy. I own a hybrid, and pay tax by the gallon like every one else-fair enough to me. "Those" people you talk to are way misinformed. ALL hybrids (gas) pay road tax. Only way I see how not to pay is either steal the gas, or they have found that one station that doesn't apply the tax at the pump.

[QUOTE=tempforce;2463876]we need a diesel electric drive system.

How true

then we won't need to worry about road taxes.
just like the hybrids, right.....

Ohh, how I wish that were true
Old 04-30-2009, 09:11 AM

The only vehicles I can see not paying a road tax thru fuel would be total electric but those I guess make up a VERY small percentage of vehicles on the roadways.
Old 04-30-2009, 12:56 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If any car that is 100% electric and travels on any road, street, Hwy it should be paying road taxes for road up keep just like everyone else has to.
Old 04-30-2009, 02:05 PM

so were better off dumping it down the storm drain.......
Old 04-30-2009, 02:34 PM

Originally Posted by checkster
so were better off dumping it down the storm drain.......
Thats what bothered me, it is a waste product. Seems like a 2 birds 1 stone situation.
Old 05-04-2009, 02:50 PM

Question ? ? ?

Originally Posted by HotRodTodd
Ouch, sorry to hear that.
In FL, to be legal to run anything other than road fuel, you need an alternative fuel permit, including propane powered vehicles.
Found that one out the hard way too.

man, I want to hear about this!

PM me if you wish to keep it private, but I am very interested in this
Old 05-04-2009, 03:00 PM

Exclamation what an outrage!

Originally Posted by joker834
I totally and completely agree with you on this!

I am curious to know how it ends. I would try and fight it if possible, that is if you haven't already paid the fine. Maybe if you call up the local TV stations and newspaper, if they are having a slow news day, they might lend a little bit of grassroots support of your plight. Just a thought...
Old 05-07-2009, 09:55 PM

dip ****

Hmmmmm, seems to me someone paid tax on that wmo before it was waste. sorry to hear about your problem and i thought california was f----- up. good luck to you.

david
socal (p.s. wonder what the rules are in california?)

Quick Reply: My free fuel cost me $1000