Fuels / BioDiesel / Diesel Prices Use this forum to discuss your biodiesel information, and to find the best price on fuel.

My free fuel cost me $1000

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2009, 07:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by annabelle
Feds use to allow you 500 gallons per quarter.
Not sure? Dont see that on thier form 637(application) or form 720(quaterly return).
Old 04-23-2009, 06:00 AM

If you must pay the fine give it to them in unwrapped pennies. Call the local news for coverage. maybe some exposure would help
Old 04-23-2009, 06:11 AM

That's total B.S.
I would definetly try to fight that
Old 04-23-2009, 07:57 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by joker834
Not sure? Dont see that on thier form 637(application) or form 720(quaterly return).
What I was told at a Bio-seminar.
Old 04-23-2009, 08:52 AM

I need to check into that for sure... may only apply to bio not wmo?

The pennies are a good idea!
Old 04-23-2009, 08:52 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
From the Motor Fuels Tax License Application - North Carolina Department of Revenue: Who must apply -
"Blender means any person who produces a mixture composed of gasoline or diesel fuel and another liquid, other than an additive, that can
be used as a fuel in a highway vehicle. The commingling of products during transportation in a pipeline is not considered blending. A blender who transports any motor fuel for hire by means of a transport truck must also obtain a license as a Motor Fuel Transporter. Gas-1260, Blender Return, is required to be filed by all blenders and is due by the 22nd day following the end of the month.
A bond is required for a blender license only if the applicant’s average expected annual tax liability is at least $2,000. When a bond is required, the bond amount is two times the average monthly motor fuel tax liability, minimum $2,000 maximum $500,000.

What I don't see specified is the definition of what is a an additive? Isn't your WMO just an additive to your diesel fuel? OK, that may be pushing it just a bit in your case but even so, what about the guy who just disposes of his own oil change oil by adding it to the fuel. Would he need the same license to dispose of 3 gallons of oil as someone running 80% WMO? Is it an additive up to 50% content or have you found that dividing line? If it's an additive under 50%, I think I'd be changing my mix ratio.
Old 04-23-2009, 11:27 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I need to check into that for sure... may only apply to bio not wmo?

The pennies are a good idea!
The penny's and the media coverage at the time of payment is for sure needed to make the public aware of what is going on and is very crucial for any hope to change this crappy rule for the better .

I would first go to court and explain to the judge it was being used as an additive for the low quality ulsd diesel now being sold .

How full was your tank ?? Didn't you just pour that WMO in and were on your way to fill up at the pump with #2 when you were stopped and dipped ??

Try it might save you 500 dollars worth of penny's or more it seems this is your first/only violation of this law.
Old 04-23-2009, 11:43 AM

Originally Posted by rattlerbob5.9
The penny's and the media coverage at the time of payment is for sure needed to make the public aware of what is going on and is very crucial for any hope to change this crappy rule for the better .

I would first go to court and explain to the judge it was being used as an additive for the low quality ulsd diesel now being sold .

How full was your tank ?? Didn't you just pour that WMO in and were on your way to fill up at the pump with #2 when you were stopped and dipped ??

Try it might save you 500 dollars worth of penny's or more it seems this is your first/only violation of this law.

That's a good idea. You have 45 days to round up 100,000 pennies. I'd get started right away. I like that plan.
Old 04-23-2009, 12:29 PM

caqll your local wells fargo or loomis armed carrier and set up a delivery to the location where the fine must be paid. dont ask me how I know these things
Old 04-23-2009, 12:46 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
They run a check on the fuel when it's any color other than the normal because they're wise to people trying to dye offroad fuel black with WMO to hide the red.
I know that the state labs can test for the percentage of red fuel in your tank but highly doubt they're equipped with the instruments to test for percentage WMO. The investment in the lab would never pay for itself with fines.
In other words unless you told them what percentage was WMO I doubt if they could prove it.
Fight it and say there was only one gallon of WMO in the tank.

In California and a couple of NE states the fine for burning WMO is more than for running offroad, air pollution laws. In fact trucks with the Cummins Centinel oil burning system are illegal in those states too.
In many ways they are right, used motor oil has been proven to cause cancer. Products of combustion change the oil and add a few nasties to it as well.
If everybody was running WMO I'm certain we'd see a lot more problems.
Old 04-23-2009, 01:01 PM

There is no exception for an additive when its wmo. 1%-100% its the same fine according to the revenue agent that checked me.

I had about 8 gallons of mixed fuel in the tank.

He even came back to my shop to see where I filtered it and mixed it.

No offroad fuel just on road (taxed paid fuel) and wmo.
Old 04-23-2009, 01:07 PM

I also forgot to mention that they check all your diesels once they find one running wmo.

They use DMV records so if you try and lie about it they fine you without checking.

He told me they got a farmer with 7 licensed vehicles. $7000 FINE!

If they are registered to your business its a $5000 fine each.

He also informed me that I would be receiving a fine from the IRS because of the state penalty.
Old 04-24-2009, 01:10 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
There is no exception for an additive when its wmo. 1%-100% its the same fine according to the revenue agent that checked me.

I had about 8 gallons of mixed fuel in the tank.

He even came back to my shop to see where I filtered it and mixed it.

No offroad fuel just on road (taxed paid fuel) and wmo.
So did he take a sample from each of your other trucks?? How was the sample collected ?
Old 04-24-2009, 05:46 AM

He collected 2 samples from my truck with a hand pump type siphon.

I only had one diesel registered to me so thats the only one he checked.
Old 04-24-2009, 09:30 AM

this is NOT good at all!! I guess exploring "alternative fuels" is a bad thing when normal people do it? Keep us posted how this turns out and good luck fighting "the man".

Quick Reply: My free fuel cost me $1000