Fuels / BioDiesel / Diesel Prices Use this forum to discuss your biodiesel information, and to find the best price on fuel.

My free fuel cost me $1000

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2009, 08:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My free fuel cost me $1000

Got my tank dipped by a North Carolina Dept. of Revenue agent when I was running a 80% wmo/20% diesel fuel blend and ended up with a $1000 fine for running a non road taxed fuel!

The state sure doesent care that its a waste product just that I hadnt paid the tax.

Same fine as if I had been running off road diesel.

Its a freaking waste product!

I am waiting to get my fed/state blenders license now so I can return to using it.

Be careful guys and know your state laws!
Old 04-22-2009, 08:57 AM

I'm sure glad our laws aren't as strict as your guys. We can't legally run dyed on the road but I only know of 2 people that have ever been tested for it.
Old 04-22-2009, 09:05 AM

NC will do anything to put money in their coffers, remember years ago they got sued and had to return millions to taxpayers for taxing "intangibles".
Old 04-22-2009, 11:53 AM

I would fight it, look up cummins Centineal system, I may have spelled that wrong, now, it wont run at 80 waste oil ha, but it takes oil from the engine and puts it in the fuel take and then adds new oil to the engine, to extend service. I would figure out what the states limits for fuel additives are, I doubt they even know
Old 04-22-2009, 11:54 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by joker834
Got my tank dipped by a North Carolina Dept. of Revenue agent when I was running a 80% wmo/20% diesel fuel blend and ended up with a $1000 fine for running a non road taxed fuel!

The state sure doesent care that its a waste product just that I hadnt paid the tax.

I am waiting to get my fed/state blenders license now so I can return to using it.

What were they testing for? I always assumed that they tested for the marker in dyed off-road fuel. I'm assuming that your 20% was legal on-road fuel. Aside from color, how did they determine you were running non-road-taxed fuel?
Old 04-22-2009, 12:33 PM

Ouch, sorry to hear that.
In FL, to be legal to run anything other than road fuel, you need an alternative fuel permit, including propane powered vehicles.
Found that one out the hard way too.
Old 04-22-2009, 01:06 PM

I could be wrong but I think Cummins even suggests you add some crankcase oil to the tank. Might give you some ammunition there.
Old 04-22-2009, 02:06 PM

Originally Posted by 12valve@heart
What were they testing for? I always assumed that they tested for the marker in dyed off-road fuel. I'm assuming that your 20% was legal on-road fuel. Aside from color, how did they determine you were running non-road-taxed fuel?
Yes the 20% was legal road fuel but just visually they can tell its a wmo mix because it coal black.

They sent it to be lab tested to confirm but I still got the fine and 45 days to pay then I can contest it.

What a shame when you are disposing of a waste product and have to pay a fine.
Old 04-22-2009, 02:42 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Its no fun, but that is where they get the funds to keep up the roads. Could be worse like it is here.. where we are taxed and the road quality is complete, total ***.

I hope you used your right to remain silent and didnt say a word to the people that dipped you. Otherwise fighting it becomes harder. You can consult with a lawyer and see if theres a way to lower the fine. 1000$
BTW, its quite possible that the oil and fuel havent mixed well and that the bottom portion where the fuel was pulled from is all oil.
Old 04-22-2009, 03:12 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Why did they test you in the first place? Was it a random traffic stop..??
Old 04-22-2009, 03:32 PM

how did he know you werent going to pay the tax. My point is Are you supposed to approximate how much WMO you'll use and pay up front or do you use it and then report how much you used?

Fighting takes time and some times it's the least apin to just pay it. I hope they dont catch me running #2 in my car
Old 04-22-2009, 03:52 PM

whooooa... this is the first I've heard of being fined for running waste motor oil. what about all the folks running home made veggie bio-diesel?

for some reason I've always thought there's a 500 gallon exemption.

Originally Posted by joker834

Old 04-22-2009, 05:09 PM

Originally Posted by huck25
I'm sure glad our laws aren't as strict as your guys. We can't legally run dyed on the road but I only know of 2 people that have ever been tested for it.
Whenever there are Farm Show's, Truck Shows, etc the MTO will be out sneaking around the parking lots dipping most/all Diesel trucks tanks.

I don't run Coloured, but usually I leave my tank cap turned a certain position that I know, and sure enough it'll be changed when I get back
Old 04-22-2009, 07:11 PM

Originally Posted by Clane
Why did they test you in the first place? Was it a random traffic stop..??
Yes a random check. He said they are checking more light duty trucks now and more checks in the county areas not just major roadways.

Originally Posted by lews930
how did he know you werent going to pay the tax. My point is Are you supposed to approximate how much WMO you'll use and pay up front or do you use it and then report how much you used?

Fighting takes time and some times it's the least apin to just pay it. I hope they dont catch me running #2 in my car
First thing he asked me for was my blenders license. I had never even heard of that! Not having the blenders license is how he knew I hadnt or wasnt paying the tax. I never considered the road tax!

Originally Posted by 2500
whooooa... this is the first I've heard of being fined for running waste motor oil. what about all the folks running home made veggie bio-diesel?

for some reason I've always thought there's a 500 gallon exemption.
There is no exemtion in NC for wmo but they have lifted the tax on bio diesel. You can run that as long as your not caught federaly.
Old 04-22-2009, 07:23 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Feds use to allow you 500 gallons per quarter.

Quick Reply: My free fuel cost me $1000