Fuels / BioDiesel / Diesel Prices Use this forum to discuss your biodiesel information, and to find the best price on fuel.

Bio-Diesel! Give Me Your Thoughts!

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2006, 11:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
....yeah...just burn it off i you have the luxury!
Old 05-10-2006, 11:33 AM

Smile Sources?

Anyone know of a station in the Charlotte, NC or Greenville, SC area?

Do the guys cooking the old deep fryer grease to make bio have a constant craving for french fries, or should I say freedom fries?
Old 05-10-2006, 12:29 PM

It's not that I enjoy paying $3.29 a gallon for an "alternative fuel", which is the latest price for B-99 in Fife WA. But at least I know the dollars I just used to pay for that fillup won't be heading overseas to who-knows-where, just the same. I think the thing that really gets me is the extreme profits the oil companies have raked in these past few months though I'm not against capitalism, by any means. As a card carrying Libertarian, capitalism is one of my favorite subjects. Still the Democrats and their environmentalist friends have made American oil reserves (which number more than all the oil reserves in Saudi Arabia) almost untouchable, which in my opinion is about as unconsciencable as going after law abiding Americans and their guns (it's the same crowd people...the ones who want your guns are the ones that've kept oil/energy prices SKY HIGH by not letting producers go after it)
Biodiesel is an alternative fuel that keeps the fuel dollars at/near home. If you want to see more alternatives in the motor fuel area with lower prices just remember who's made it so there's fewer choices for all of us due to their EXTREME environmental views, when it comes around to voting in the next election. As long as Democrats or Republicans are the way we (as a majority) vote in this country, this extreme cost of energy will become the norm. Wish us luck...cause we're ALL going to need it!! Chuck

P.S. Having a farmers heritage running through my veins, I read an interesting article one time about what could happen should they let the american farmer back into industrial hemp production like was the practice before marijuana prohibition ended hemp production right after the end of WWII. What hemp has to do with marijuana besides looks is beyond me but if they really wanted to "solve" the energy crisis, they could allow the production of industrial hemp in 3 western states, California, Nevada and Utah and from that production, make enough biodiesel (do a google search on "hemp diesel") made from industrial hemp that they could make enough for the entire US market and would not have to import any crude oil to make diesel. So when you hear the government man on TV saying that no matter what, we could never do away with importing oil from the middle east, especially to make as much diesel as we as a country use/need (by just letting the american farmer do what he's best at), just remember, there they go again, lying through their teeth and all the while with a straight face. Industrial hemp production should be the choice of American farmers!! NOT drug war crazed zealots that don't know the difference between industrail hemp and marijuana. My God....

http://www.montana.edu/wwwpb/ag/baudr318.html

http://www.globalhemp.com/News/2005/...mp-hooray.html
Old 05-10-2006, 12:58 PM

While i do not promote tax evasion at all....i think its wrong. BUT, I do feel that if most started making their own Bio-diesel. This would soften up demand, and would reduce price. But this is idealistic...and would never happen. Most don’t want to bother with making B-100..it does take some effort....rather, they just bend over and take it......BUT you cant deny that Bio will help the American Farmer stay busy......im all for that! That’s not racist.....its supporting our country directly! BUT I don’t want to get into that here……there is that “Other” Forum for that! Haha……
Old 05-10-2006, 01:08 PM
Banned

It's not tax evasion (that's illegal). It's tax diversion (that's legal).
Old 05-10-2006, 09:02 PM

BioWilly

Did a search. Found *****'s website and a Sphinx station in Greer, SC off Exit 56 of I85. B20 BioWilly available there. Gotta give some a try.
Old 05-11-2006, 05:18 PM

I am an engineer at the State of Colorado air pollution division. We have just begun testing exhaust emissions of bio-diesel. We collect data on HC,CO,Nox,CO2(FUEL MILEAGE), and particulates. Just finished with a '95 GMC 6.5 turbo diesel 3500 pickup. Used regular diesel versus B-20 versus B-100. Tests showed very little diff between the fuels. Mileage was slightly less on bio(16.8mpg to 16.5 mpg). Everything else virtually identical. Truck runs the same on all fuels. These are commercial fuels,not homeade.
Old 05-11-2006, 05:25 PM

You know...when i talked to Peter Bell when i got my first batch of Bio.....he had to add an additive to help with emissions. Don’t quote me on this...but i think he said that the bio was actually a bit higher without the additive (NOX).......i could be wrong...........
Old 05-13-2006, 09:04 AM

Our local MFA (Missouri farmers association) also has an oil distribution company that delivers fuel right to your doorstep, they even bring the bulk tank and set it up for free. They will bring me any blend of bio-diesel I prefer for about the same money or within a few cents per gallon as regular diesel. I am really thinking about it hard. I think it is the right thing to do? What blend would you guys recomend for running in my two old first gens?
Old 05-13-2006, 09:10 AM

Originally Posted by slayerfish
I am an engineer at the State of Colorado air pollution division. We have just begun testing exhaust emissions of bio-diesel. We collect data on HC,CO,Nox,CO2(FUEL MILEAGE), and particulates. Just finished with a '95 GMC 6.5 turbo diesel 3500 pickup. Used regular diesel versus B-20 versus B-100. Tests showed very little diff between the fuels. Mileage was slightly less on bio(16.8mpg to 16.5 mpg). Everything else virtually identical. Truck runs the same on all fuels. These are commercial fuels,not homeade.
Very interesting. I think the big thing that everyone is concerned about is the unburned particles that come out of the tailpipe. But when was the last time you saw a diesel running around with somebody's head stuck up the tailpipe?
Old 05-13-2006, 09:27 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Luke S
Our local MFA (Missouri farmers association) also has an oil distribution company that delivers fuel right to your doorstep, they even bring the bulk tank and set it up for free. They will bring me any blend of bio-diesel I prefer for about the same money or within a few cents per gallon as regular diesel. I am really thinking about it hard. I think it is the right thing to do? What blend would you guys recomend for running in my two old first gens?
Unless you are making it yourself the best bang for the buck is B20.
Old 05-13-2006, 11:01 AM

Hey all, I have a couple of questions on this stuff. Recently, I have been doing alot of reading on making your own B100. (appleseed reactor and all). I have seen pics of peoples setups, and in one of them, a guy was filling the tank on his 04. I have also read that burning this in the 3 gens is asking for trouble. What is the deal? I think I remember reading something about the homemade not being dry enough and causing damage. Can someone who makes it shed some light on this??? I have already lined up almost all the parts to make everything, just need the "warm fuzzy" before I take the plunge. Sorry about the long post, just looking for some direction. Thanks in advance...
Old 05-13-2006, 11:40 AM

Homemade bio is going to be as dry as you let it. The longer you let it sit, the dryer it will be....and you can add heat and pump over flat plates with fans.....i don’t think that is the issue. (From my reading at least)

I hear that the 3rd Gens can only run up to a B50 Mix. This is due to the high pressure in the fuel rail. I don’t think B100 acts well to pressures around 15,000PSI and up. Becomes stringy (?) and amorphous. This is why you have to cut it down. Again, correct me if im wrong.......
Old 05-13-2006, 03:13 PM

http://www.biodiesel.org/resources/fuelfactsheets/

According to the experts there's virtually no difference between B-20 biodiesel and regular "premium" diesel. I just read the other day Dodge/Chrysler ships brand new Dodge/Cummins trucks from the factory with a partial tank of B-5 biodiesel aboard. Long as you stay at or under the magic mark of B-20 there should be no problems, new truck or old.
Old 05-14-2006, 11:21 PM

Thumbs up Advance To Driving With Biodiesel

Here's a great website having to do with making the switch with your vehicle to biodiesel:

http://www.propelbiofuels.com/site/driving.html

They even give you the reason for B-99. (Hint:Taxes) Check it out!