Fuels / BioDiesel / Diesel Prices Use this forum to discuss your biodiesel information, and to find the best price on fuel.

Bio-Diesel! Give Me Your Thoughts!

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2006, 06:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've been using B20 for a few tank's now noticed less engine noise (noticed in underground parking and starting up at 6:00 a.m. ), runs smoother at idle, mpg not much different little less power at higher rpm but haven't changed my fuel filter yet.
Old 05-05-2006, 06:22 PM

Originally Posted by Diesel_Dan
I think he was being Facetious.................................that is how i took it.....
Well.......? Possibly......? I'm just trying to get information and figure out the advantages of this stuff, and I'm just not seeing them. I don't really see any need to act like that? This is suppose to be an information site, everybody helping everybody else out? Ya, we all get frustrated @ times.
Old 05-05-2006, 06:32 PM
Chapter President

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I ran two tanks (B10 I think) of Bio Willey from Loves TS. .5 MPG less, but the engine did run quieter.
Old 05-06-2006, 06:18 PM

"I think he was being Facetious...."

Yes, I was.

I have been making and using bio for 3 years now, and yes, I responded kind of hard to the "environmentalist" statement, and for that I will formally say I am sorry to anyone that I may have offended. If you checked my previous posts, would have seen that I am pro biodiesel.

The last time I spent some time on a post explaining the positives of bio, I personally got kind of a similiar response. Should of just written it off when it happened, but when I noticed an interest in bio again (always seem to happen when fuel prices spike), I started reading the post, and came accross a similiar statement, it kind of got to me. I'm not saying buckshot gave me a hard time before, it just seemed too familiar. Not everybody making bio is an environmentalist.

And no, I am not an environmentalist. I love to kill cute warm cuddly animals for fun, and as a matter of fact, I have some old tires burning in the back yard, and I am dumpimg motor oil in a pond full of endagered species as we speak. Later on I am gonna go open up some cans of r-12 freon just for fun. Screw the ozone.

I make bio cause it saves me money. Simply put, and for no other reason. I also like the way the truck runs on it. I am currently out of town, 800 miles away from home, and it only took me about $20 in #2 to get here. The rest was bio.

As far as home brewing, it is easy. Cost to be setup is about $200 worth of stuff. That includes an entire fully functioning processor, wash set up and drying set up.

Bio takes on average from fryer to fuel tank about 3 days. Your active time involved is about 3 hours at the most-total. 0.65 cents per gallon is my cost. I can turn around a batch in 24 hours if I had to in a pinch, but my cost would be slightly higher (more electricity).

I would really like to see more bio made and used. I would rather keep our dollars here at home. I would rather see a new bio plant be built down the street, and the empty farm fields being utilized again for soy and corn. I would love to see the farmers in my area "working" again. I would love to see something or somebody "compete" with big oil. It's not gonna happen with bio or ethanol, but it's a start.

There are plenty of websites out there that have been mentioned on this site. Yes, some of them are "environmentalists" but the fact remains we all have our reasons for making the fuel. Check out the sites and you will get an education. If you start making bio, it will be tough at first, but stay at it and you will be producing enough to use it all the time. I only wish I did not have Michigan winters, or I would be using it full time, year round.

Hope that clears things up a bit. KD
Old 05-06-2006, 06:34 PM

PS: don't do a search with my user name.

OOOOOOOO I GET IT NOW!!!!! If he searched your name...he would have found that you like the bio for you...not for the enviroment......man...i should be on CSI.........
Old 05-06-2006, 11:51 PM

No harm, No Fowl KD.

I have never seen the benefit of bio-diesel and with #2 getting to be so expensive I've started investigating the stuff. The thing I don't understand is how bio can be made so cheaply ($.25 a gallon), and then turned around and marked up 1500%?
Old 05-07-2006, 07:16 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
The cost of DIY bio is about $.70 per gallon. The reason for the low price is most of the time used cooking oil is free. The cost is in the methanol and lye, excluding the equipment to make bio.
Majority of the commercial bio is brewed from virgin soy oil. So with that and the cost of the plant overhead is why commercial bio is about the same price as #2. And don't forget the taxes.

MikeyB
Old 05-07-2006, 09:02 AM

after finding a place to get cheap methanol and lye im at 40 cents. as i improve my still my time goes down. now i just wish a hippie would hassle me for commuting in my sweet ride. 100% reduction in sulfur, exhaust c02 reduced 30-40% but technically no new greenhouse gases are released because your not burning carbon trapped millions of years ago, your releasing c02 consumed by crops in the past few years. and im not paying a sheik to drive a hummer.
Old 05-07-2006, 09:19 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Forgot to mention installing a methanol recovery system will lower the cost of making bio even more.

MikeyB
Old 05-07-2006, 09:33 AM

I've heard as low as .20-.25 cents a gallon???
Old 05-07-2006, 05:25 PM
Banned

Thumbs up Biodiesel is addicting.....

I just filled up Friday w/ B100. Had about B50 in before that. Here are my early observations:

1.) NO FOAM when filling the trucks tank. I had the nozzle on full bore. It clicked off. Started the nozzle at about 1/10 to totally top it off, 10 seconds later it is full to the top. Zero foam. I thought that was great.

2.) There is a marked reduction in injection pump and combustion noise. In other words, the engine is alot quieter. Bigtime.

3.) Throttle response may be better or equal to #2.

4.) I LOVE the exhaust smell. It does not smell like french fries. Tough to describe, but it has a VERY "Clean" smell to it.

5.) Smoke is pretty much non-existent throughout the powerband. It must be a 90% reduction, easy. I am driving it easy so I can get an accurate MPG comparison to B50. Drove like an old lady w/ B50.

It was $3.41 a gallon.
Old 05-07-2006, 05:51 PM

Bio YES!

Hi,

I last went to a gas station in the middle of February. Nuff Said?
Old 05-07-2006, 11:08 PM

I am a tree hugger. I love trees. I heat my house with them.

I have run about 1000 gallons of B100 in my vehicles to date. I pay about $3 per gallon. I lost one injection pump on a VW but I think that was from a bad batch of home grown fuel that I got one time.

One of the reasons that I like Bio is that it is something that I can personally do to support America. A country that I also love. When I am running Bio I am not supporting big douchbag oil companys and the politicans that are in their back pockets.

One of my friends said about me running Bio. "Let's see, you get less power, less mileage, and it costs you more? What are you crazy?" Yep

Dean
Old 05-08-2006, 03:09 PM

2 Questions for you homebrewers

1. What do you do with the byproduct? (glycerin / soaps /wash water)

2. If you're in a cold climate - running b100 in winter? What do you do to maintain flow? Mix with blended #1/#2?
Old 05-08-2006, 05:51 PM

Originally Posted by piekarski
after finding a place to get cheap methanol and lye im at 40 cents. as i improve my still my time goes down. now i just wish a hippie would hassle me for commuting in my sweet ride. 100% reduction in sulfur, exhaust c02 reduced 30-40% but technically no new greenhouse gases are released because your not burning carbon trapped millions of years ago, your releasing c02 consumed by crops in the past few years. and im not paying a sheik to drive a hummer.

piekarski - I got to totally feed it back to this 'save the gay baby whales' woman at my office. She was riding her high horse for driving a Prius and berating me in front of fellow employees. Oh man, that felt great. I had a grin for a week.

Quick Reply: Bio-Diesel! Give Me Your Thoughts!