Cummins Conversions Discuss conversions here. For instance, if you want to put a REAL engine in a FORD, this is where you would talk about it!

Ford Excursion cummins swap (HPCR & 48RE)

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2008, 05:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by AlanB
Lol Clam, I don't man she loves that motor. Of course she didn't live the pain like you did with your 7.3. She might change her mind after she goes for a spin
I hope nobody has to live though that pain. I can't even think about it without exploding. I haven't even told the story of how Jim the salesman demanded I send them the evidence and promised to work out a solution, admitted I was right and that I knew what I was talking about before he even saw the rod, told the world that Greg Cunningham sent the broken pieces were out for analysis and yet has refused to contact me for 6 months. Promises, promises. What a pack of liars and thieves- and that was after I told them how to fix their problem courtesy of about 8 of the best metalurgists and mechanical engineers in the world who examined it. Jim even bragged to me about how they build connecting rods for helicopters as if that was supposed to convince me they know what they are doing. HA! I've been thinking about giving the FAA a call to let them know that over-shot peening the snot out of steel makes the surface so brittle that fatigue cracks will start....and I have high def photos to prove it. Suffice it to say that between Cunningham and a few other powerstroke aftermarket vendors, I'm done with powerstokes. That community is so full of opportunistic leeches long on promises and short on integrity that they aren't worth the grief.

See what I mean? It's taken me 10 months to calm down enough to even tell that part of the story without a 6'3" x 267 pound very angry melt down....

Back to more amusing things- I'm betting by June 3rd that Shay's campaign will be begin WITHOUT my help. It will start with, "Alan, do you think the engine in the Excursion is getting tired? It just doesn't seem to have the nutz it used to have- maybe I'm biased from riding in your truck. Will you drive it tomorrow and see what you think and I'll just drive your truck...".
Yes, I can see another Cummins conversion in your near future. I can also see one in my garage that I did nothing with today.
Old 02-05-2008, 09:22 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
That's the biggest problem with doing a cummins conversion, once you've done one, you will want to put a cummins in everything you drive. It's just like buying a gun suppressor (silencer), once you have one, you want one for every gun you own. Don't ask me how I know this...
Old 02-06-2008, 08:47 PM

Obviously a clever analogy to describe your dislike of noisy 2 stroke dirt bikes and wave runners.

You're right, I haven't even got my engine assembled and I'm already thinking about how I'll do the next conversion.

Scott at Destroked is rounding up all of the parts for me to change my Allison tailshaft housing and output shaft to 4x4 and modify my stock transfer case so it will bolt up with the adapter he makes. That's just a huge relief for me. I'll still probably have to modify driveline lengths because of my SAE#3 bell housing and rear gear train, and I'm counting on having to take the sawzall to the tranny hump to make it all fit, but I don't mind doing that, other than the inconvenience of dealing with the carpet. No biggie.

Scott also sells the ways and means to set up the Allison tranny programming so that it is adjustable with a Livewire(?) tuner and will interface with the ATS Co-Pilot.
Old 02-06-2008, 08:51 PM
DTR's 'Go to Guy'

Originally Posted by dieselclam
I'll still probably have to modify driveline lengths because of my SAE#3 bell housing and rear gear train, and I'm counting on having to take the sawzall to the tranny hump to make it all fit, but I don't mind doing that, other than the inconvenience of dealing with the carpet. No biggie.
Just sounds like a good excuse for a custom back seat DVD console or something! You know.......the whole "make lemonade, when ya get lemons" ideaology! LOL
Old 02-07-2008, 03:24 AM

I could to that too- I've taken a class on Auto and RV upholstery and bought a walking foot machine. But when I decided not to go to film school in 1977 (like an idiot), I gave up on almost everything that's not filmed in super 70 mm. Video doesn't get it for me. I don't even own a camera. But I like your idea- Maybe you could help me install a 57" wide flat screen behind the front seats, remove the rear seats and just leave the 3rd row seats if you're not busy.

After 30 years of building and inspecting B0e!ng aircraft, metal fab is a snoozer for me, plus I know a welder who is one of the top 10 in the world- he's welded everything from nuke subs to the space station.

I might build the revised hump out of fiberglass or extend whatever I cut out with it. I built a female mold and produced a one-piece, vacuum bagged, Klegecell foam cored, sewn bi-axial fiberglass, compound contoured, offshore race deck with integral fairing, dash and bulkhead cap to fit a 1973 Searay as a divorce project 18 years ago. Then I gave it away when my new wife told me I was done spending money on it until I was out of debt. Still haven't figured out how to do that.

So I've got the technology and the Sawzall and would cut out whatever I need to without a second thought (that's what's scary for my wife). I just lack the motivation to get off the computer and go install valve springs.
Old 02-07-2008, 09:26 PM

Eek! Don't EVEN get me started on motivation!

One of my favorite Dilbert quotes is "You can take my soul but you can't have my lack of enthusiasm!"
Old 02-08-2008, 01:04 AM

Well then! Maybe you could help vzdude and I install that big screen!

My favorite is Dogbert dressed as a witch doctor yelling, "Out! Out! You demons of stupidity!" Based on the condition of my truck (and my life in general), it doesn't work.
Old 02-08-2008, 01:49 PM

could you list all your suppliers on one page

would be of great help once I start the install of my 12 v into the f350

thanks

AWESOME work BTW
Old 02-08-2008, 10:08 PM

Destroked.com
e-bay
Old 02-09-2008, 10:00 AM

Rocky can get all the stuff you need and answer your questions, he is also a Destroked dealer.
http://www.rspdiesel.com/diesel.htm
Old 02-11-2008, 09:58 PM

Originally Posted by AlanB
Rocky can get all the stuff you need and answer your questions, he is also a Destroked dealer.
http://www.rspdiesel.com/diesel.htm
i want that ford on his sight
Old 02-19-2008, 05:26 PM

Originally Posted by Hillbilly Delux
i want that ford on his sight
nice old truck and truck and it would be really worth owning powered by an Inline
Old 02-19-2008, 06:11 PM

Those pictures are a little outdated, I have been meanin to get new ones on there but just have not had time.
Old 02-27-2008, 01:58 PM

Small update on the Excursion.

Finally got the rail pressure gauge installed, currently the CP3 will only build 15,000 psi of rail pressure, which I think is due to not having a VSS input to the ECM. I did disconnect the FCA plug and it defaults to max pressure, about 26,000 psi. So the CP3 is not the problem.

Spoke with Scott at Destroked about it alittle, he said I could use the Ford Speed Signal from the rear diff as the input as well.

So I tried the Ford signal, hooked it up, went for a drive. Same issue, max rail pressure 15,000. And my ABS light came on, no anti-lock brakes. So disconnected that wire.

Just spoke with Scott again, going to try a different connection tonight. Also talked with Bob Wagner, and may try a recovery file thru the Smarty to clear any SKIM issues it may have. Can't wait to get this fixed.
Old 02-27-2008, 02:05 PM

Whats it doing again?

Quick Reply: Ford Excursion cummins swap (HPCR & 48RE)