Cummins Conversions Discuss conversions here. For instance, if you want to put a REAL engine in a FORD, this is where you would talk about it!

Ford Excursion cummins swap (HPCR & 48RE)

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2008, 03:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Does the Dodge CR power steering pump move more fluid than the stock superduty pump? I'm sick of the steering not turning in parking lots.

Do the stock alternators put out 12 volts or do they actually put out 14? Leece Neville builds both, as well as alternators that put out 160 to 200 (and much more) amps.

With lights, trailer, heater, radio, etc , it's just too much draw on the batteries and I end up with dim headlights after a few days, even with new batteries and a freshly rebuilt alternator. Someone on here suggested a Leece Neville from E-bay, but I don't know about mounting space, especially when I consider ALL the front accessories, including a belt operated CP-3. (my stock one runs off the rear gear case and is mounted right above the starter).

How about air conditioning pumps and mounting? What is going to be easiest &/or cheapest? Ford or Dodge?

For anyone considering a swap, try to get an engine that's got all of those items attached, including the fan. It's a LOT of extra expense and hassle without them. I have to scrounge up and cobble all of those things together somehow.
Old 01-27-2008, 05:07 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Just use all dodge stuff, mounted just like it came on the engine. The only exception here is the power steering pump. On mine, the pulley would have contacted the steering box. So I went with the Ford pump. The alt puts out over 14 volts, steering is perfect. AC compressor fit fine as well. Just need to get my lines spliced to finish it.
Old 01-27-2008, 06:31 PM

Thanks 5.9 and Alan B for the input. I've been a little freaked out because my engine didn't come with any of those things, and with it being a rear gear train (RGT), I'm not sure where or how it's all supposed to fit. But I'm not into reinventing the wheel as long as the wheel works.

5.9, I hope you don't feel like we've hijacked your thread- this is the most comprehensive collection of information for installing a 3rd gen under a Superduty hood that I've seen anywhere, and your experience, knowledge and oversight are appreciated. I've felt inspired enough by this thread that today I cleaned out the garage (well, some of it) and might even install the camshaft, rear gear case, oil pan, flex plate....

I voted for you for truck of the month!
Old 01-27-2008, 07:03 PM

Thanks for the vote. The reason I put so much info together was for that exact reason... I couldn't find any info (with the details) on how it all should work. I figured this way it would give anyone who is thinking of a swap and really good idea of what it takes.
Old 01-28-2008, 06:26 AM

Did you input vehicle speed into the cummins computer? Scott from destroked said that is a speed sensor is not inputted the enigine will defuel. If so, did you just send the signal from your speed sensor in the rear axle to the cummins computer? Did you just split the signal from the speed sensor to feed your speedo and the cummins computer? Also did you get you tach to work with the dakota digital stuff?

Thanks
Bryan
Old 01-28-2008, 08:18 AM

Really..... I might have to call Scott and talk to him about it. I wonder how it defuels? does it limit rail pressure? Still haven't received my gauge yet...

I have yet to connect the speed sensor, it's on my to do list though. I was planning on using the speed sensor in the 48RE tranny (as that is the one a cummins would be used to receiving).

I have not messed with the tach yet...
Old 01-28-2008, 04:18 PM

Well I got the tappets in, cam in, rear gear case on, and cam gear indexed and bolted down. I'm hoping to get the pan on today, but I'm having trouble with the garage heater not staying lit and it's 30* out there right now.
Old 01-30-2008, 03:26 PM

FYI, someone has three 305hp HPCRs brand new for sale on ebay.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NEW-0...spagenameZWDVW
Old 02-01-2008, 09:09 AM

Hey guy's. I started a thread in the suggestion's and news forums. I'm trying to get some interest for a conversion forums.

If you are interested post up

Off to installing some valve springs on the CR.

Thanks

AlanB
Old 02-01-2008, 07:52 PM

My valve springs are going in tomorrow immediately followed by the head going onto the block. Oil pan is sealed down as of last night. Fluid damper is ordered, Scott at Destroked is trying to figure out the part numbers for me to run my stock transfer case instead of switching to a manual NP205. Anyone have an allison 4x4 tail housing laying around?
Old 02-01-2008, 08:59 PM

Glad you got the ball rolling clam. Scott has it going, awesome guy to do buisness with your in good hands.

I never did get the springs in.. Firewall is done, waiting on A/C compressor for mock up. After we get the cross member notched and the engine goodies on we can install the motor
Old 02-01-2008, 09:31 PM

dieselclam go over to the dmax web page and check the ads. or ask post for one.
Old 02-04-2008, 04:26 PM

Farmer0_1- I've been avoiding that waiting for a swift kick from anyone, so I took your advice and looked but didn't find one...yet.

AlanB- Thanks for the encouragement, and I'm glad to see some reports on yours too. I got 4 of my springs installed, 20 more to go. Head studs are in, gasket is on, just have to drop the head on and then start working on the manifolds and accessories. I had a terrible time installing the front and rear main seals without the proper tool and I'll be shocked if they don't leak like a sieve. I plan to start the engine on the shipping cradle to check for leaks and for making head re-torquing and valve adjustments a lot easier and hopefully permanent for a few years.

So how long after you get this one done do you think it will be before your BTS drummer girl is wanting a Cummins upgrade to her Excursion? I'm betting she starts the campaign by the end of the first week in June if she hasn't started already.
Old 02-04-2008, 04:41 PM

5.9 Excursion-
CONGRATULATIONS!!!! Truck of the month is a big honor and well deserved!
Old 02-04-2008, 07:39 PM

Lol Clam, I don't man she loves that motor. Of course she didn't live the pain like you did with your 7.3. She might change her mind after she goes for a spin

Quick Reply: Ford Excursion cummins swap (HPCR & 48RE)