pulling questions?? - Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums

Competition / Pulls / OffRoad You wanted it, well you got it. The competition and pulling forum. Please have your racing, pulling and other competition posts here. No East Coast vs. West Coast, and no flame wars!

pulling questions??

Old 06-26-2005, 10:03 PM   #1  

pulling questions??

Well last night I went to a local pull here in missouri and was watching the stock diesel class. Well as I was watching 2 of the Dodges broke. One I think blew up his rear end and I think another dropped a driveshaft, but they where older dodges ithin both were 2001 with big chips and power. But the thing is it makes me kinda nervous as I will be pulling with my 2005 next week and don't want to break anything. I was just wondering what other things should I be worried about breaking besides the clutch?

On another note thier was another 2005 pulling in the one I watching that was compltely stock which made it 249 feet. The winner only made it 281. I was talking to him and he said he pulled in 3rd low with no problems, but I was wondering with my edge juice will that put more strain on my clutch and hurt it more because more power or will it actualy help me becuse I will be able to get the sled going a little better.
Kman9090 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2005, 10:33 PM   #2  

anybody???
Old 06-28-2005, 11:42 AM   #3  

Well

i feel bad that no one has answered ur question... I dont sled pull, although id like to try it once i get more bombs in the ride.. But i have understood and read from all these sled pull deals on here that second and low range will not hurt your clutch, and third low will slip it immensely... might cause some damage..

Personally with a stock clutch unless i had an extra one to swap out, then i probably would just pull in second and low, if you had an extra clutch or a high performance i would go in third..

Did the person u ask have a stock clutch? if so you can try it.. But my experience is based on a five speed manual.. not a six...

The extra power you have on tap, if just gunning it , it causes ur clutch to slip as in my five speed, pulling with a load behind it is only naturally going to be harder on the clutch and drive train with ur newfound or added power.. also stock differentials are no good for that, a good limited slip or a locker would help better in the traction dept.. getting the power to the ground is no problem, the cummins has the power to do it, we all know that, wear and tear on the clutch, well that is kinda expensive...

Best of luck with what you chose to do..

PS by the way.. I have pulled a disk harrow with my truck, to disk a rodeo arena... second low didnt even know it was back there, but the sled might weigh in at 20 tons whereas that harrow might have put only half that resistance on my hitch.. just something to consider...

Tx
TxDiesel007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2005, 02:50 PM   #4  

I think you will be fine in 3rd low with a clutch that new if it has not already been slipped much at all. Just take off really easy though. Rev to maybe 1800-2k rpm's, and start letting out till it starts wanting to grab, and you start moving some,a nd then just drop it, and wait till it feels fully engaged, then drop the hammer on it, and if it slips just back out of it a little. If you cant get it going in 3rd, just stop before the 75 ft mark, and maybe try 1st high. 2nd low is just to low of a gear to get the wheel speed you need for sled pulling. Also. I dont think you will have to worry about breaking anything as long as you dont start hopping. If you start hopping, immediatley let out of the throttle. When they start hopping, crap starts breaking. I have watched many diesels pull, and these are just my opinions on the matter. I have also pulled once, but im an automatic.

Eric
cumminsdriver635 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2005, 03:13 PM   #5  

you think I should go ahead and put the juice on level 5? My clutch has not been slipped bad the most the juice shows is 6% unless I'm in 6th gear on level 5 then it shows 12% but I have onle had the juice for 3000 miles and mostly run it on stock.I have 13XXX miles on the truck and have only pulled a load for maybe 100 of those. This truck is a diesel but I make it perform the task a gas would easy. The guy that pulled his was stock clutch just no juice. I am going to pull in 3rd but just conflicted on which level to run the juice on. With the lower the gear the juice don't slip at all like in 1st-4th in high range it doesn't slip any on the clutch so I would think the same in a lower gear. I mean it's gonna slip taking off but soon as I let the clutch out it should be fine. So can anybody help me with the decision on what level to run the juice in?
Old 06-28-2005, 06:15 PM   #6  

If there isnt a whole lot of diference in power between 3rd, and 5th levels; then i think i would run it on level 3, becuase that sled weighs 40k lbs or so. Level 5 would of course be best for pulling, but level 3 might be the best you can do and have your clutch still hold fine. You will pull better in level 3 without the clutch slipping than in level 5 with it slipping. If you think the clutch will hold level 4, then you might try that. But like i said. DONT get into the throttle hard until the clutch grabs completley or it will go up in smoke. Just feather the throttle, and once you get the sled mocing, drop the clutch completley, then as soon as it grabs light into it for all she has. Good Luck! Im also pulling tomorrow night at my county fair

Eric
cumminsdriver635 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2005, 09:37 PM   #7  

yeah you do make a good point it won't slip any on level 5 after I get the sled moving and am out of the clutch but durring the time I'm trying to get the sled moving and slipping the clutch it might be kinda hard on it. Is there anybody else that can chime in with what level to run the edge on with a stock clutch in 3rd gear pulling? I'm still conflicted I want to pull the best I can without tearing up a clutch. The hardest point on the clutch is gbetting the sled moving so running on level 5 after I get the sled moving I shouldn't have any clutch slippage right? The juice will backdown the juice if the clutch is slipping so while I am slipping it won't it automatically defuel then kick it back up once I get into it? I just don't want to burn up the clutch before the 50 foot mark. I'm just wondering if I am right that it won't slip once I am completly out of the clutch on level 5.
Old 06-29-2005, 08:49 PM   #8  

anyody on here with a 3rd gen can you help me out? What level should I run the juice on if pulling in 3rd low? Level 5 because I will get the sled moving easier or level 3 beause it will be slipping so bad trying to get it moving? Or can I use level 3 to get it moving then bump it up to level 5 when I get it moving. I know you 3rd gens are out there.
Old 07-01-2005, 12:16 PM   #9  

JMO, but I doubt there's a big difference in level 3 and 5 when you first start out, it's all in your right foot at that point. Are you runnin a stock size tire, if so third will probably be ok. Either way, you're gonna slip it off the line but with second you're slipping it for a shorter time. If it was me I'd run third with power level 3 or second on number 5. But then again I have a first gen. so I don't know how it affects it. Just something else for ya to contemplate. But, if you're not worried about winning or being close to, then it's not really worth a clutch. You can always pull ok now and later put a better clutch or mods etc. and show em up next year. I'd rather pull and lose then try and be a hotshot and be without a ride home. Good luck.
FrdRdnk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2005, 12:55 AM   #10  

I don't know I've been contemplating it for weeks now and I think I am gonna go with level 5 in 3rd. Like you said in lower RPM's I doubt there is a difference in level 3 and level 5. I think If I slip it from 1800-2000 then dump it when I get it moving I should be fine. As long as I don't get into to much when I am slipping it. I am running the stock tires also. And about the winning thing I have given that a new outlook. A couple of my buddies are now pulling and want to beat them and was talking and some people said that I have a good chance of winning becasue alot of the pullers in my area will be off at another pull.
Old 07-03-2005, 10:12 AM   #11  

Talking

Buy a pulling clutch, that way you dont have to ruin a perfectly good stock unit.
Thats what I did.

That way you just ruin pulling clutches!
PourinDiesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2005, 06:33 PM   #12  

Good point but I don't want to spend 2000 dollars for a good clutch to pull one time.
Old 07-03-2005, 09:34 PM   #13  

You have to be willing to PAY to PLAY!! oh, I just saw that it look like its your brother's truck you will be driving?

seems to me getting the load rolling is the hardest on the clutch...so it's on you not to fry it too soon.

Good luck and lets see a vid of you pulling!
siotwo is offline   Reply With Quote