Competition / Pulls / OffRoad You wanted it, well you got it. The competition and pulling forum. Please have your racing, pulling and other competition posts here. No East Coast vs. West Coast, and no flame wars!

Building a pulling truck, questions and ideas

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2007, 05:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Building a pulling truck, questions and ideas

So I have been on TDR for 3 years and decided to join here also. I am in progress of building a pulling truck and wanted to see what everybody thought of my ideas. The truck is a 02 24valve. I have pulled the past two years with the following mods. Edge comp, F1 Mach 1s', Snow Stage 2, 5" exhaust and a BHAF. Exhaust, trans, boost and fuel guages. Trans is a billet built by HTS, 47re. Not expirenced in any means just did it for fun. Maybe 4-6 pulls per year.

Here is the list of what I am doing to the truck.

Head- Ported, 3-angle valve job, intake removed and custom intake from stainless or aluminum. Not decided on valve springs but probably Don M's.

Block- Fire rings, line bore, girdle plate, 14mm studs, tapped machine plugs and installed steel pipe plugs.

Mods - II 7100 pump, either F1 injectors or II, Helix 3 cam, K31 Turbo, custom exhaust header, second snow stage 2, aftermarket intercooler, ( not sure which one yet ), Rods and mains studded,

Driveline - Np271 transfer case, Dana 80 rear with 4.88 r&p, axle shafts from scheid, carrier for dana 80 from scheid, front axleshafts from scheid,

What else do you suggest or have questions about? I am retiring the truck from the road and to the track.
Thanks, Twister
Old 12-25-2007, 07:15 PM

Columbus Diesel Supply for pump.
Brandon
Old 12-25-2007, 07:42 PM

Which pump would you suggest for my setup. The 800, 1100, or 1300cc. I am not very familiar with the p-pump yet.
Thanks
Old 12-25-2007, 09:39 PM

I would forget buying parts from 5 different suppliers, Call Scheid and tell them how much you want to spend and what you want and let them whip you up a combination, its going to be hard for everybody to know what you have for parts so they can match stuff so it will run
Old 12-26-2007, 08:30 AM

i would call schied because he is one of the best pump guys in the country. when i was getting parts for my build i call them and they set me up and the truck is wicked.
Old 12-26-2007, 05:43 PM

Originally Posted by MrTwister

Driveline - Np271 transfer case, Dana 80 rear with 4.88 r&p, axle shafts from scheid, carrier for dana 80 from scheid, front axleshafts from scheid,
personally I wouldnt use sheid for the driveline Id use someone like http://www.ctmracing.com/viewcategory/0 Id get a free spin kit for the Dana 60 and run drive flanges, 35 spline outer chrome-moly and for overkill 40 spline chrome-moly inners and a spool, along w/ cyro front gears. I would be more worried about tearing the D60 up the the D80, but for the rear a spool and carry a spare axle shaft and if you want extra insurance get the axles from Superior or CTM or any other chrome-moly shaft, or say screw it and grab some rockwells. O and up grade the ujoints in the drive shafts to a 1410
Old 12-26-2007, 08:39 PM

The more I hear the more I like Scheid. The shop I am dealing with is a dealer for both Scheid and Industrial. I am not set in stone on a p-pump, or turbo but I have heard good remarks about II's k31. Since the engine will go to Scheid to be ran on the dyno before the final install I should probably use their pump so they can adjust accordingly, and also their turbo.
The Dana 80 is complete and the NP271 is sitting next to it in the shop. Who's intercooler should I be looking at. I didn't see one on Scheid's website.
Thanks again.
Old 12-26-2007, 09:39 PM

I have a good friend that had a engine build that is similar the one you are describing. He had a k31 turbo on it and had nothing but problems. I dont know much about them but he said that after he got it on the truck it wouldnt get enough air to the motor for good power. He bought a different turbo from schied and the truck acts totally different. Not trying to tell you what is good or bad just trying to give you some info to help make the right decisions.
Old 12-26-2007, 10:18 PM

Thanks, does anyone know what other options scheid has for turbos besides the lightning 20001 or is that a good turbo for my application? I was under the impression I would need more than mid 60's for boost which that turbo offers.
Old 12-27-2007, 07:16 AM

Mr.Twister,
What class are you going after? Street or Pro/Super?

Power goal? (realistic)
Old 12-27-2007, 09:45 PM

The class I will be in is the 8000 lb. street legal diesel pickup. Thats the only class offered in Central Northern MI. Their is a couple of local pulls that have 3 classes. Stock, One power adder, and open. Power goal...maybe 800 at the rear eventually. What do you think I will be at with the current setup with all Parts from Scheid? ( turbo and pump )
Old 12-27-2007, 10:13 PM

sounds like it should be a monster. you have nicely built trans to hold the power. I think the p pump would be a good way to go but around here for a while a vp44 truck done really well for a season. it was over a 600hp truck but it done really good at the local pulls
Old 12-27-2007, 11:15 PM

Originally Posted by MrTwister
Thanks, does anyone know what other options scheid has for turbos besides the lightning 20001 or is that a good turbo for my application? I was under the impression I would need more than mid 60's for boost which that turbo offers.
they custom make turbos for your truck i have a custom turbo on my duramax that is wicked and it came from there. and i have a full blown pulling truck with a scheid parts and its about 1100 hp. they know what there doing and i would give them a call
Old 12-28-2007, 06:51 AM

scheid does very good work and they are excellent to deal with. if you are going that far dont try and run dons helix 3 or his valve springs have scheid bore the block for a billet cam and run that it will make more power and it will never give you any problems. and if you ever decide to go this route in the future and you dont do it now you will have to disasemble the engine agine. as for the rear end get the spool and scs axels and drive flanges there pricey but they are the strongest things ive ever seen for a dana 80. you might be ok with a 4.88 gear depending on the height of the tire you run and how much the class you run limits your rpms i know with a 33 inch tire and a 4 speed in 4 lo and 4 th gear with a 5.13 i can hold 5,000 to 5,500 from start to finish
Old 12-28-2007, 11:04 AM

Thank you very much everyone for the input. I will be definetly using scheid for the parts. Didn't know that they custom built turbos for each application which is nice. As of right now I will be using the helix 3 cam. After this next year I will see what needs improved upon and will probably go to a billet cam along with rest of the valvetrain.

Quick Reply: Building a pulling truck, questions and ideas