Competition / Pulls / OffRoad You wanted it, well you got it. The competition and pulling forum. Please have your racing, pulling and other competition posts here. No East Coast vs. West Coast, and no flame wars!

Platte City Mo. pull

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2007, 12:30 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Rules are rules... it's a simple as that. Nobody is making this personal or saying that everybody is out to "get" these guys. Just because you built a pulling truck doesn't give you or anybody else the right to pull in whatever class you want. The idea here is to have a fair competition and not a "run what you brung" type affair. You're comparing apples to oranges on some of these trucks out there. It's a street diesel class. Now, I know there are brush pulls out there that give you a weight, a hitch height and if you're lucky they tell you if you can hang weight or run blocks, other than that anything goes and sure, if you want to build a truck for that and run those pulls with a "street truck" go for it. But on pulls like this, where the rules are posted and are clearly a DHRA style pull, then this should be cut and dry. This is why you build a DHRA street class truck, then you have nothing to worry about. Why would you want to limit where you can go and where can you hook? Why put up with all of the headache and wondering if you're going to make it through tech or not? Read the rules then build the truck, not build the truck then read the rules...
Old 07-24-2007, 12:38 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Does anyone have any idea how many of the trucks in the street class are actually driven on the street on a regular basis? Just curious....

Quite a few that I talked to chuckled when I asked them if they drove it on the street.
Old 07-24-2007, 12:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
None to very few are driven on the street. The ones that do drive them on the street are more towards the stock side on power.
Old 07-24-2007, 01:01 PM

Originally Posted by Smoking S
None to very few are driven on the street. The ones that do drive them on the street are more towards the stock side on power.
Street Diesel Class Overview
The Street Diesel (SD) class is designed for streetable pickup trucks (full-bodied diesel pickup trucks). Valid DOT registration and license plates are mandatory. The vehicle must be four-wheel drive.
Stock side of power? Mine's sitting out here in the parking lot at work...
Old 07-24-2007, 01:06 PM

Anyone have an answer to why the Duramax's and 3rd Gen Cummins can run dual pumps but 12 valve guys can't run ag. gov. pumps? Remember according to the rules it's supposed to be "Stock Appearing".
Old 07-24-2007, 01:12 PM

For one your AG pump uses a Hand Throttle most trucks from the factory dont have a hand throttle unless you have a blue sticker hanging from you mirror
Old 07-24-2007, 01:17 PM

Besides the stock gov. plays no role in power but it does limit those playing around an cheating the RPM limit.. And i have driven both and a hand throttle is a huge advantage.
Old 07-24-2007, 01:17 PM

Satburn- You gotta another way to work after you shell a rearend, transfer case, or anything else that likes to break on a Dodge when your pulling them? It will happen, your truck runs too good for it not to.
Old 07-24-2007, 01:22 PM

My Ag. pump dosen't use a hand throttle, the stock linkage bolts right up. That's stock appearing right?
Old 07-24-2007, 01:23 PM

Satburn- You gotta another way to work after you shell a rearend, transfer case, or anything else that likes to break on a Dodge when your pulling them? It will happen, your truck runs too good for it not to.
Ha ha, oh yes, I have a convertible for when my sins catch up with me...

As for the why you can run dual CP3s at Platte? Because they said you could...

7) FUEL:
a) The fuel must be pump #1/#2 diesel only. Twin CP3 pumps are allowed.
b) Off-road diesel fuel is prohibited
c) The fuel injection pump is limited to a stock-appearing, OEM engine make-specific pump only. Pumps from different years in the same engine model may be interchanged.
d) The OEM fuel tank is mandatory and must be used. Racing fuel cells are prohibited and must be removed.
e) Nitrous oxide is prohibited. No other oxygen extenders are allowed. All system components must be removed.
f) Propane is prohibited. All system components must be removed from the truck.
g) A fire extinguisher system is permitted. It must be securely mounted.
Old 07-24-2007, 01:25 PM

My Ag. pump dosen't use a hand throttle, the stock linkage bolts right up. That's stock appearing right?
Stock appearing to a combine? Sure...

Stock appearing to the truck?

That's the hang up.
Old 07-24-2007, 01:34 PM

#37 Yesterday, 09:35 PM

I didn't know Duramax started putting dual pumps on their trucks, is that stock appearing?
Gary- I think St. Joe didn't want Justin to pull because they knew he would win or have a good chance and would be bad advertising to have a truck with Hart's Diesel wrote on the side take home the money.
It seem like everyone is had a hard time with the rules. As for the twin CP3, look at rule 7a. Here is a link for those of you that have missed the rule link that was posted every time this event was advertised:

http://plattecountyfair.com/2007upda...ullRules07.pdf

That rule is cut and dry.

As for the Hart truck.

The injection pump was not stock appearing!!! Maybe to someone who knows nothing about pumps, but unfortunately we (the tech Committee) know injection pumps a little better than the average Joe. Regardless of what governor was on the truck, the injection pump was not stock appearing.

I will stop there, I believe that the whole tech was done very fair. I'm sorry if anyone disagrees with me.

Most people had to change something in order to meet the rules, everyone was treated the same.
Old 07-24-2007, 03:22 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by satburn
Stock side of power? Mine's sitting out here in the parking lot at work...
Mine too...

I only had a problem with rule #8, I was hoping to see them allow twins but still limit them to the 2.8" rule. I would have gladly bushed by 2.9" turbo down to 2.8 and ran in the class. Does a rule like that seem unfair?

I spoke with quite a few people about it and the only advantage twins would offer would be bottom end (for streetability). A 2.8 single would outperform a set of twins using a 2.8 for the large charger (since it is restricted by the smaller turbo) on the topend anyway.

It just seems so screwed up that my truck was stuck pulling against full out competition rigs that had a pit vehicle to get them to the line. Heck I'd be willing to say my truck was more streetable than most in the street diesel class

Oh well, I still had fun...
Old 07-24-2007, 05:22 PM

The rules where trying to somewhat follow the DHRA 2.8 class. If you guys want to gripe then gripe at them since the don't allow rsv governors. Personally I don't see why 30 year old technology is banned while the best of today's technology is allowed. But I do see the reasoning in trying to keep the class similar to what is allowed in different parts of the country. As for the Hart truck he only wants to pull where he is allowed to slip in above the rules. Yes the truck runs good but almost everywhere I have seen him the truck doesn't follow the rules but they allow him anyway. If he wasn't cheating most of the time and got in with the class he should be in then you'd realize it's not that impressive. Probably why he went home without pulling at Platte City.
Old 07-24-2007, 07:34 PM

A lot of complaints are all over the place, but if the rules were followed, then most of those trucks should of not pulled. #1 valid dot registration. Everyone should of drove in to make it a street diesel class. In the end when all the rules are pushed aside, thier is still one winner and a lot of runner ups and someone is always going to complain. I guess the rules will have to be ironed out somemore, but someone will still be upset.

Quick Reply: Platte City Mo. pull