Competition / Pulls / OffRoad You wanted it, well you got it. The competition and pulling forum. Please have your racing, pulling and other competition posts here. No East Coast vs. West Coast, and no flame wars!

How many of you use water/meth injection?

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2005, 07:52 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
How many of you use water/meth injection?

Just wondering because I've asked on other forums and didn't get many replies. Seems to me that it is a VERY cost effective and simple way to control egt and increase power slightly. Can you guys tell me what kits you use and if you're pleased with them.
Thanks
Tony
Old 06-13-2005, 07:48 PM
Adminstrator-ess

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
I have the Snow Stage II kit. It made 42 HP and 86 ft# last time I dynoed, and it reduced EGT by at least 200 degrees. The 1600 degree pyro was pegged on the straight diesel run, with the water/meth it only hit 1400 degrees. I'm happy.
Old 06-14-2005, 07:40 AM

What percentage water/meth are you using, and where did you mount everything?
Old 06-14-2005, 04:12 PM
Adminstrator-ess

I run 50/50 mix.

I don't know if my mounting locations will help you any, a lot has changed under the hood of a Dodge in 12 years. Hopefully the pics will give you a good idea of how much space each component requires.

Old 06-15-2005, 09:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
And the bad. Water in the oil. We dyno'd one of the race trucks last saturday and without the water Darren made 668 HP. With the water???????????????, I can't say.
But one thing I will say, is he had water in the oil and a goo under the valve covers. if you use it much, expect to change oil quit often.

..Preston..
Old 06-15-2005, 10:33 AM

Thanks for the response and pictures Dave.

As far as getting water in the crankcase??? How the heck does that happen? If used in the proper amounts in the proper way, I thought the water/meth would burn up in the combustion process??? The only way I could see it get past the rings is if you dumped too much water, too early, while engine isn't up to temp. Am I missing something?
Old 06-15-2005, 07:27 PM
Adminstrator-ess

My last oil analysis showed less than 0.1% water in the oil. I purposely ran the truck hard before the oil change to see if I was getting water in the crankcase, but I did drive it for 5 minutes (as recommended by Snow) after the water/meth system had run.

Now, my truck is not a race/pulling truck. I do not have the fuel or air to allow me to dump in the amount of water a puller would use.
Old 06-15-2005, 08:37 PM

Dave, your truck may not be a "puller" but with almost 900ft/lbs of torque, I'm sure it's a wild ride. Thanks for re-affirming my next mod.... after my first mod(box).
Tony
btw- NRA member here as well- living in the konfines of the republic of Chicago
Old 06-21-2005, 06:45 PM
Administrator

Received 52 Likes on 50 Posts
trik396:

I also have a water injection system on my 1996 Dodge CTD. You can look at my "signature" below to see how the truck is set-up. About a month ago, myself, "wannadiesel" and "rjohnson" had a pretty good thread going on this. You can do a "search" under "water injection" to read that thread too.

On my truck, I saw a 300-350 degree drop in EGT's!! However, as I said in the last thread, I did not see the H.P. increases like "wannadiesel" did. I tried various "mixtures" with my distilled water but never could get any H.P. increase. I did see the water in my oil that "turbo thom" described to you though! It was not alot, but it was definitely there. The oil analysis that "wannadiesel" had done was encouraging to me, and more testing is needed on my truck. I am running two (2) nozzles and they are somewhat larger than what "Snow Performance" sends in their kits, so that may be part of my problem.

----------
John_P
Old 06-24-2005, 01:15 PM

Talking

I tried to get my truck into Meth but it refuesed to snort the lines of the mirror. Seems my truck "Just says NO".
Really I had water/meth injection in my 92 Ford with a ATS turbo on it and it was great for lowering the egts on long pulls. As for water in the oil I did have the valve stick open one day when I left the key in the run positiion all day listening to the radio and pumped to whole 2 gal bottle of mix into the intake.
Old 06-26-2005, 02:47 AM
Patron Saint of 1st gens

It seems like if your already very heavily fueled then the WM doesn't seem to do as much for HP numbers as it does when your, say, "light" on fueling. Then, it makes a noticable difference...besides EGT issue's I mean.

I have a "test hill" I use for this sort of tinkering/testing. It's a posted 10% grade and it's about 2/3 mile long.
These numbers are based on NO AFC fueling (valet switch) and the primary WM jet kicking in at 20psi with the secondary jet kicking in at 32-34psi. My WM mixture was 30%/70% meth/water ratio.

I have a section of open 3 lane highway for other types of testing too.
On the open section of the highway, a normal WOT run in OD would result in EGT's of about 1300*F plus/minus.....with the WM on I could barely get it over 1050 - 1100*F....and that took some serious effort and prolonged run..
On the hill my temps would reach 1400*F - 1500*F WOT in OD. With WM it would drop to 1150*F solid if I kept it under 32psi, when I went over and the secondary kicked in I pulled very hard and it had temps of roughly the same but that's good considering my boost jumped to 36-38psi and was at full fuel (still no AFC fuel).

This thing is a nice little sleeper kick in the pants..
The richer you are in the fueling dept then the ration of water to meth should increase...more water will allow you to run more fuel and pull that much harder...if you go too much meth, it seems like you loose a bit of the EGT help cause the 'meth speeds the burn rate and raises cylinder pressures as well as temps.....

Keep in mind I'm very new to this product and am just learning about it myself....

pb......
Old 06-28-2005, 09:07 PM

I just became a dealer and have a couple kits available from my initial buy in. I ve used others and think its pretty much the best. Meth around here is 3.50 gallon, or if your just towing distilled water for lower egt. Meth is were the power comes from, so if your light on fuel and run a high % meth you ll make more power.
Old 06-29-2005, 02:01 PM

?????

Has anyone inproved the Drag racing times with Water/met. ???????
Old 06-29-2005, 02:16 PM

Considering the high octane rating of Methanol, and the fact it's an oxygen bearing fuel, my guess is if the correct amount is injected, as long as you have more than sufficient airflow (bigger turbo), I'd have to say yes.. but I only have experience with meth on an alcohol funny car, not a turbo diesel.