3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

How many runs to 75psi with water meth and over 1500 degrees with 18 plus15 degrees

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2006, 09:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How many runs to 75psi with water meth and over 1500 degrees with 18 plus15 degrees

Hmmm, When you burn just as much coolant and oil as diesel in a 20 mile drive and the truck is spewing white smokapour out the stack...and you have no power and run with 50hp.....could the head gasket be gone.

or

When I said the truck was running strong last night...I meant real strong....I cranked off about 3 minutes of over 1500 degrees with water/meth 50/50 and boost at 75psi+ drive side with hmmmm maybe 33 degrees of possible timing advance. Could the head gasket really be gone. Truck ran perfect until the block cooled and I started it 24hours later. Hmmm. What do you think. ks
Old 08-17-2006, 11:21 PM

Good thing you have a spare motor!
Old 08-17-2006, 11:25 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think you ran her hard and put her up wet! They always complain the next time...

I know in the 60s we just ran, added something and ran some more until something broke. Figured out how to fix/improve what broke, then start all over.

I have been watching your posts and I dont think the pro-street guys run any harder and not near as much. Hope its just the gasket and not anything else. Good luck and get it back up and to the track. Ever consider No2 and a little less meth %.
Old 08-18-2006, 12:29 AM

tell us what happened when you find out. hope it is just the headgasket, and nothing serious
Old 08-18-2006, 01:05 AM

I would be tearing that thing apart.
There is something wrong.
Old 08-18-2006, 06:59 AM

Yep, The spare motor may see service sooner rather than later, ks
Old 08-18-2006, 07:34 AM

OK, Checked the oil cold and it is all there, last night is was hot and still in the turbos and CP3.4....so I found the missing litre of Oil, Phew.

The coolant was down 0.5L....so coolant is going some where......I've been using coolant for a while now as I have a tiny hole in the rad but It hasn't been leaking at least noticibly for two weeks....Last night was a very cool night with not a breath of wind so the exhaust was more visible than normal....I'm gonna wait an hour or so for some more info then start it up....with the TST hopefully off the injectors and the dummy plugs in. ks
Old 08-18-2006, 09:23 AM

75PSI, white smoke, burning water, hence white smoke is steam.. head gasket..
Old 08-18-2006, 09:52 AM

Yep, A little black puff mark on the firewall. I started it up with everything off or turned off and lots of pretty white clouds coming out of the exhaust and all four cylinders put putting away....the back two are dead. I think I have a minor breach in the gasket not a blow out like some others where the firewall has a big tear in it. It will be a busy weekend.....I'm looking at a used 1500hemi shortbox with a 5 speed to get me back and forth from the shop and the house... . Wonder what 5 speed that is and how I'm gonna fit my spare motor in it.....I'm sick, very sick. Gotta have a sense of humor when you play hard. ks
Old 08-18-2006, 05:14 PM

Same thing mine did when the gasket let go... Only I was towing a 6k trailer, and racing a turbo eclipse.....I won
Old 08-18-2006, 05:59 PM

Gaskets (head and exhaust) will be in tomorrow morning, tearing it down over the weekend....planing the head on monday....reassemble on Monday and Tuesday with the k31 on and new manifold....Off to the track tuesday...I hope... Fix the screw ups on Wednesday...Get paid for the next 6months on Thursday...Off to the dyno on Friday....try new nozzles Friday... Pick up engine #1 on Sunday, Drop Engine#1 engine off in Utah on Tuesday... Tune truck on Tuesday.... Back to Canada on Thursday...pick up engine #2. Back home for Saturday. Off to the track on Tuesday....

Can't let a little water coming out of the e-hole get ya down. ks
Old 08-18-2006, 06:08 PM

ks, what do you do for a living. You seem to travel alot...
Old 08-18-2006, 06:19 PM

Originally Posted by abc4yew
... Pick up engine #1 on Sunday, Drop Engine#1 engine off in Utah on Tuesday... Tune truck on Tuesday.... Back to Canada on Thursday...pick up engine #2. Back home for Saturday. Off to the track on Tuesday.... ks
Are you getting engine #1 built in Utah? Where exactly at? I'm in Sandy, UT about 20 minutes south of Salt Lake. I'd love to know of a good diesel mechanic out here!

Jared
Old 08-18-2006, 08:50 PM

can you say 'busy bee'?
Old 08-18-2006, 10:18 PM

Engine #1 is being built up....but not by me....It will probably spend a little time in Texas after I drop it off. I'm sure there will be more details on that one. Engine #2 is my winter project or my next weeks replacement. Yep, this head gasket popping has got me fired up to get a few things completed quickly. Just printed off the tech manual and I'm studying away for tomorrow's hands on test....thanks Justin for the link....I love the internet!!!
I own a very small processing plant that harvests and processes a bush that becomes the generic equivalent of the number one and number two anti cancer drugs in the world. Been a little slow for a while...approaching panic mode soon. I gotta drop into Denver and Boulder anyway so Utah ain't too far away. Shotgun approach to getting a lot of things done. ks

Quick Reply: How many runs to 75psi with water meth and over 1500 degrees with 18 plus15 degrees