Competition / Pulls / OffRoad You wanted it, well you got it. The competition and pulling forum. Please have your racing, pulling and other competition posts here. No East Coast vs. West Coast, and no flame wars!

1/4 mile First Time Pointers

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2012, 12:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1/4 mile First Time Pointers

Iv searched and havent found much on pointers for first time drag racing. Any thing that you guys think would be helpful, or if you know of a link that gives some useful info.

Planning to take a 97 dodge 2500 cummins auto 4x4, with full 4" exhaust, cold air, #8 fuel plate full forward(might even try a #0 or #100 but im not sure if i can keep it cool enough), 60hp inj, stock turbo, and mild built trans (no billet shafts or triple disk convertor), ill be running a water/meth kit to help with egts(not built yet) and its got 33" tires

A few things im not sure on are:
-What is a safe boosted launch pressure for non-billet shafts?
-Iv heard of guys locking up after 2nd gear, is this with the manual override switch or some type of controller to release lockup when its shifting?
-And im pretty sure at my power level that i dont need to have it in 4x4(roughly should be around 300-350hp maybe hit 400 once the w/m is in and i can give it more fuel)

I was sorta hoping that there was a sticky for noobs wanting to take their trucks to the track and see what time they can put down
Old 04-16-2012, 12:42 AM
Administrator

Received 52 Likes on 50 Posts
Originally Posted by woodsRIDER92
Iv searched and havent found much on pointers for first time drag racing. Any thing that you guys think would be helpful, or if you know of a link that gives some useful info.

Planning to take a 97 dodge 2500 cummins auto 4x4, with full 4" exhaust, cold air, #8 fuel plate full forward(might even try a #0 or #100 but im not sure if i can keep it cool enough), 60hp inj, stock turbo, and mild built trans (no billet shafts or triple disk convertor), ill be running a water/meth kit to help with egts(not built yet) and its got 33" tires

A few things im not sure on are:
-What is a safe boosted launch pressure for non-billet shafts?
-Iv heard of guys locking up after 2nd gear, is this with the manual override switch or some type of controller to release lockup when its shifting?
-And im pretty sure at my power level that i dont need to have it in 4x4(roughly should be around 300-350hp maybe hit 400 once the w/m is in and i can give it more fuel)

I was sorta hoping that there was a sticky for noobs wanting to take their trucks to the track and see what time they can put down
------------------------
Woodsrider:

Let me see if I can help you out here some.

I have a 1996 Dodge CTD 12 valve 4X4 Auto that I drag race pretty regularly as well. You can look at my signature for my power and torque levels.

Here are some answers to your questions:

1.) I recommend NOT going over about 10lbs of boost if you don't have BILLET SHAFTS!

2.) Yes, you can install a "lock-up switch" to force lock-up in 2nd gear or anywhere else. I will try to post a link for you on how to hook one of those up.

3.) Your larger 33" tires are going to hurt your E.T. somewhat.

4.) My recommendation on launching from the lights is this:

A.) Creep up to the staging lights (sometimes called a Christmas Tree) and slowly inch forward until you light the FIRST set of bulbs. (PRE-STAGED LIGHTS)

B.) Now, start building boost with the accelerator as you hold your brake firmly. Once you get to about 10lbs of boost VERY SLOWLY creep up to light the SECOND SET of bulbs. (STAGED LIGHTS)

C.) Once BOTH set of bulbs are lit, and your opponents lights are lit, there are three yellow lights that will light one after the other in succession. On the LAST YELLOW LIGHT Floor your truck and take off!

I recommend running your truck in 4WD HIGH all the way down the track.
You are not going to hurt anything. I do it all the time! Keep the truck to the floor until you pass the "E.T. or Trap Lights" at the end of the 1/4 mile.

I hope this helps you some. I will get some video links up for you of my truck drag racing and that of a friend of mine.

--------
John_P
Old 04-16-2012, 12:51 AM
Administrator

Woodsrider:

Here is a video link for you of a drag race between my 1996 Dodge Cummins Turbo Diesel Pickup and a 2001 Chevy Camaro SS out at "Coastal Plains Dragway" in Jacksonville, N.C. near where I live.

The Camaro was pretty well modified. The owner had an SLP Cam and modified heads, American Racing Headers, Tuner, FASS Intake along with drag racing slicks!

When you watch the video, you will hear a loud noise. That is NOT my truck, but the OPEN HEADERS on that guys Camaro!! LOL!!
Here is the link:

http://s297.photobucket.com/albums/m...4005406-04.flv

When you open the link go to the picture in the upper left hand corner. You will see a still picture of my 96' there. Just click on the picture and the video will run.

---------
John_P
Old 04-16-2012, 01:01 AM
Administrator

Woodsrider:

Here is another video link of the FINAL Pro-Street Run between my friend Micah Sullivan and Dimitri Millard down at Bradenton, Fla. @ the NHRDA Diesel Opener Race about a month ago. My friend Micah is in the right lane in his black Dodge CTD and Millard is in the left lane in a Chevy Duramax.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xfW8Rb4cavo

My friend Micah ran a 9.81@139 MPH on that pass!

Try to watch the staging lights in BOTH videos. Maybe that will help you some too. In this video, they are running a 4/10ths PRO TREE. That means that ALL of the yellow bulbs light AT ONCE instead of "in succession" as you see in my video. I have run both types and the PRO TREE is much tougher to master! In this video, watch how Micah slowly "creeps up" to the STAGED BULBS as he spools up. It is more clear in this video than it is in mine.
Old 04-16-2012, 09:48 AM

Thanks alot John, iv heard that if the trans tries to shift gear when its locked up itll eventually break stuff, is this true?

And thanks for the videos, ill try and get as much out of it as possible.
Old 04-16-2012, 01:58 PM
Administrator

Thanks alot John, iv heard that if the trans tries to shift gear when its locked up itll eventually break stuff, is this true?

And thanks for the videos, ill try and get as much out of it as possible.
-------------------------
Woodsrider,.....you are very welcome Sir! I hope all he information helps you out. I disagree with the premise that "locked shifts" are going to break stuff.
Yes,.....I have heard of it, but don't see that as a problem for you at your power/torque levels. I am at 800+ H.P. and 1500 TQ and have had no issues with mine at all. My 2006 Dodge CTD CR is at about 450 H.P. right now and it also has had no issues with locked shifting.
Old 05-17-2012, 11:14 AM

I agree with everything John says!

You just need to get as much seat time as possible to see what launch techniques work best for your truck and YOU.
Most people get nervous their first time and don't focus on staging and launching they are more worried about messing up and people watching them.

The only thing I do different than John is I roll into the second light and then build rpms.
I don't go off of boost but rpms instead but most of that is because John has bigger sticks and twin turbo's so he needs to build boost to get those things to light.....either way is fine it's just a matter of what works best for you and stick to that routine EVERY single time.

Do as much testing as possible so it feels like second nature when you pull up to the line.
Old 05-21-2012, 10:33 PM

All this info is great, thank John_ P and iracemx6. i havent yet had the chance to hit the track. Iv got a few things to finish up, still havent got the water/meth in and im wanting to set up a lock up switch.
Old 05-22-2012, 07:07 AM
Administrator

All this info is great, thank John_ P and iracemx6. i havent yet had the chance to hit the track. Iv got a few things to finish up, still havent got the water/meth in and im wanting to set up a lock up switch.
------------------------
woodsRIDER92:

You are very welcome Sir! I am glad David and I were able to help you.