ABDTR #5 Alberta Chapter #5 Discussion

torque converter stall speeds.

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2011, 12:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
torque converter stall speeds.

when my new tranny went in i had the builder but in a multidisk billet converter from TCS.

my old NON lock up was a tcs with the 89h stator...it worked good.. stall was lower...approx* 200-300 rpm. so the turbo lag increased(he351) but was not terrible.. about 3 seconds to spool after mashing the skinny peddle and it transfered the power well..

well the new converter is way way more laggy. as the stall must be lower....
its like 5 seconds before the turbo will spool and clean up the smoke
and the black cloud behind me is going to get me a ticket.

WHATS the point of the lower stall?
from what i read its so that tourqe multiplication is greater at lower rpm and it creates less heat. but if you cant spool it whats the point..?
i think i got the drag race converter..for 30 psi launches

How much will the twin setup "generally" lower turbo boost time. ie with the 476 under my he351 will i see quicker spool up ?? like 200-300 rpm?
or nothing?
Old 09-30-2011, 12:08 AM

That would be a higher stall. If it takes longer to enguage the trans and start transfering power. Torque converter "Stall speed" is the engine rpm at which the fluid motion inside the torque converter changes from vortex flow to rotary flow. In vortex flow the stator (converter input) is creating torque multiplication with the fluid. And the stator is turning faster than the converter housing (output) there is fluid shear in the converter in vortex flow. That's when tremendous amount of heat is generated very quickly in the converter fluid and we all know that hot fluid/ ATF kills clutches in the old automatic.

Rotary flow is when the stator is turning at the same speed as the housing. There's very little to no torque multiplication, very little turbulence in the ATF in the converter. Very low heat generation. But power transfer is as direct as it can be without having a lockup clutch. Actually the lockup clutch in a converter does not hold all the engines power output. If some folks may have that misconception. Actual lockup clutches just increases the efficiency of the converters rotary flow condition to virtually 100%.

So also they've been called tight and loose converters. Tight being low stall loose being high stall. high stall converters are "generally" a bad idea for "most" diesel trucks which make torque down low. Higher power diesels + high stall converters = low life span automatic tranny on the street. And slower.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk
Old 09-30-2011, 08:33 AM

Twins will make it worse, the system will light slower then just the single HE351. The only way to change that is to loosen up the converter. You could also tune your afc to avoid so much smoke off the bottom end.
Old 09-30-2011, 10:21 AM
Chapter President

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Tuning the AFC for less smoke might bring up the response. Too much fuel in the low rpm band bogs out the engine. I've toyed with that and found just a little more spring pressure on the AFC makes the spool up quicker than dumping out loads of fuel. Having a standard makes that more dramatic.
Old 09-30-2011, 10:47 AM
The Guru

I've run about four different stall converter in my 02 truck over the years. Even got one of those awful low stall units. All I did was make my truck really laggy/smokey and difficult to tow a trailer with. I've found that a unit with 1700-1900, depending on gears, tire size and turbo size. I would also lockup the converter once your into second gear, cuts the heat down some. I never had too many transmission heat issues, unless I been trying to burn the tires off or doing boost launchs. With the right converter lock-up controller, it will feel like you have more gears than four.

Thanks for the beer the other day buddy, hopefully you like the S476 turbo.
Old 09-30-2011, 09:03 PM

Originally Posted by Mike Holmen
I've run about four different stall converter in my 02 truck over the years. Even got one of those awful low stall units. All I did was make my truck really laggy/smokey and difficult to tow a trailer with. I've found that a unit with 1700-1900, depending on gears, tire size and turbo size. I would also lockup the converter once your into second gear, cuts the heat down some. I never had too many transmission heat issues, unless I been trying to burn the tires off or doing boost launchs. With the right converter lock-up controller, it will feel like you have more gears than four.

Thanks for the beer the other day buddy, hopefully you like the S476 turbo.
i can lock up in any gear with my valvebody.
as soon as i lock it the pyro pegs....................bottom line i cannot tow with these injectors in until i get that turrbo mounted.
flat ground its hard to stay under 1300egt..
i had to go up hill tacked out just to manage temps........... i spent more time staring at guages then the road...

i have 3:55 gears now but iam putting 410 in. i have miss matched gears as i changed out the rear diff for a 80........i was rocking the 3.55 to see if i like them.....and i dont.so out they come....it will also help spool the turbo's.

i talked to my trans guy and TCS... once i get the twins done and i dont like the stall my transd guy will take it out for free and tcs WILL CHANGE THE STALL TO WHATEVER I WANT FOR FREE.
NOW THATS GOOD SERVICE

just got to wait for source to get started now
Old 09-30-2011, 10:38 PM

I'm thinking your EGT issues are related more to the 5x18's than converter. Whats your timing at? I'm not terribly versed in VE stuff, but 5x18's are big injectors for the p-pump 12v. 3.55's should help with turbo spool by actually loading the engine more. 4.10's will allow the engine to rev faster due to less load, but actual spool up will not increase.
Old 10-01-2011, 03:55 AM

Originally Posted by Tate
I'm thinking your EGT issues are related more to the 5x18's than converter. Whats your timing at? I'm not terribly versed in VE stuff, but 5x18's are big injectors for the p-pump 12v. 3.55's should help with turbo spool by actually loading the engine more. 4.10's will allow the engine to rev faster due to less load, but actual spool up will not increase.

i beg to differ on the lower gears spooling thing........

i think the 410 gears get the truck moving building rpm/fuel delivery/boost..

somehow i think if i had 3:08 gears it would just lug around smoking and never spool the turbo...

i realize the injectors are way to big to be run as is........i was just worried with the twins the lag would increase..

everywhere i read there is contaditions regarding this.
some say more laggy some say 200-300 rpm's quicker spool up

what do i know
Old 10-01-2011, 08:00 AM

With 3.08's and the appropriate converter things would be just fine. Your converter sounds rather tight. A good converter as soon as you hit the go pedal should flash 1800-2000rpm and put you right in that ideal powerband / get the turbo's lit range, and away you go until lock up.
Old 10-03-2011, 07:56 PM

ive alkso read the stall(lower) helps keep the power in the right rpm range.
it drops rpm at the right times/spot instead of keeping it high in the rpm.It also makes the lock up not as harsh when it engages 3rd or 4th gear.
Old 11-26-2011, 02:02 PM

Just to add some data.

I am running a TCS 68RFE 89H Converter. This converter was built with a tripple disk setup. It has a stall speed around 1800 RPM which is about 400-500 RPM lower than stock. I also have the tranny tuned with an XRT-Pro Overdrive. The engine is tuned with Smarty. Tires are 33.5" diameter and 3.73 gears.

This is a great mod to do to a Dodge Diesel automatic platform. It ranks up there with putting in your first fuel plate... (I'm dating myself now). It made the slush box feel very close to a manual, before lockup, in terms of how the power gets to the ground - the speedo now closely follows the tach when you press on the loud pedal.

I have towed 10,000 lbs through the BC mountain backroads and the TC is just awesome. I imagine that the lower first gear in the 68RFE makes steep hill starts a non issue with an 89% converter.

As a side note, TDR issue #74 (page 112) has a little blurb on the TCS 89H for a 47RH built as a single disk. They show some pictures etc.

Cheers
Old 11-28-2011, 12:45 AM

ill be able to follow up with some testing soon.
the twin build is 95% done . iam just waiting on the body shop to finish the paint.

my truck needs to go onto a dyno for a day. tunning twins with snow on the ground doesnt work