ABDTR #5 Alberta Chapter #5 Discussion

EFI Live Or Smarty SSR???

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2011, 10:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I really, really like the 6.7 I have driven. It has the H&S tuner and deletes, maybe an intake and thats about it, and it feels really strong! I couldn't afford to buy a built 48RE now, thats for sure! And mine isn't really built, got a bunch of DTT parts thats about it.
Old 11-13-2011, 11:06 PM
The Guru

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ASW has a neat 6.7L build on the go right now. I'm still sitting on the fence about the block deck that looks like swiss cheeze. I can see why they have so many head gasket issues. You can only run a few different camshafts in a 6.7L, as the cam starts to interfer with the rods.

The extra few displacement a 6.7L makes them a torque monster. I bought one of those fancy hamilton heads, its in the shop getting a make total over.

Nice thing about 4.5-07 engines, parts are really easy to find, if you need to. Found a few cheaper place for piston/rings/pins for those years.
Old 04-06-2012, 09:20 AM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by StealthDiesel
Back to SSR vs EFI Live...

A while ago I posted that with EFI Live one can analyze any other companies aftermarket ECM tunes for the 2006-2007 Dodge Cummins.

Many guys were doing this & could see that the Bully Dog Crazy Larry tunes had cranked rail pressure & timing & that the Smarty tuning was anything but smooth or even logical.

It seemed to me that the aftermarket tuners must not be using any kind of graphical interface to create their tunes. That perhaps they were just manually changing values in tables which is much more difficult.
I also guessed that they might start using EFI Live & EFI Live's 3 dimensional color graphical interface to analyze & improve their own tunes.

Well here is a coincidence! http://www.madselectronics.com/index.html

I'm not bashing Mads nor the Smarty at all. It could very well be a coincidence & it doesn't really matter.
I'm guessing but I'm sure all the Smarty tunes are improved greatly. Perhaps directly or indirectly because of EFI Live..

Bumping up this thread & quoting myself...

Has anyone else loaded the latest Smarty tunes in their Common Rail?

I loaded the latest level (Feb 2012) of Smarty TNT/R a couple of weeks ago & it's amazing how much quieter & way less smoke the truck is making.

I was running the older ( early 2011) regular Revo Level 9/170HP which I towed with all last summer. It was always very smoky & rattly but ran fine.
The truck dyno'ed approx 450RWHP with this tune which is quite mild but just fine for towing our 10k lbs 5th wheel all over B.C.

A couple of weeks ago, I updated my Smarty with the latest firmware.
All the power levels are now bumped up so I'm now running TNT/R level 3/170HP. Same HP level as before.
It's like a completely different truck. I had to double check that I loaded the correct level.
Smoother, quieter, less smoke, less rail pressure while cruising on the highway. It's pretty amazing.

I look forward to NOT having the side our trailer black all summer.

While I have no proof at all, I still assert that EFI Live has improved the Smarty programming.