ABDTR #5 Alberta Chapter #5 Discussion

EFI Live Or Smarty SSR???

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2011, 03:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question EFI Live Or Smarty SSR???

Hey guys. Got some good ol' injector rattle after installing the 90hp DDP injectors. What tuner can get rid of the off idle/low end injector rattle? Anyone wanna tune this bucket of bolts with a better tuner than my Smarty S06 POD????
Old 10-17-2011, 04:50 PM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Hey Jamie,

Have you tried backing off the timing using the adjustable settings in the Revo TNT?
Bigger injectors, plus greater rail pressure with your upgraded CP3 essentially
advances injector timing so it's normal to adjust for less timing with those upgrades.

Copy/paste from a previous post:

Timing settings for TNT:

0 = default (1 on even sw# and 2 on odd sw#s)
1 stock
2 more advance than 1
3 less advance than 2 (but still more than 1)
4 less advance than 3 (but still more than 1)

So if you are running an odd # in the software and default timing = 0, you are also running the most advanced timing.

For your 2007 truck, EFI Live is the way to go. Much more powerful than the SSR. The latest developments on EFILive are near full control of the 48RE transmission.

For the 2003-2005 trucks, I have seen used SSR's floating around in the US$550-$600 range but it's really early in the SSR live cycle as they continue to test & develop it with bi-weekly program updates.
Old 10-17-2011, 04:59 PM

I have tried a few combo's now Joe with all the same results but it always has been odd #. Gonna try #8 right away and see if that helps. EFI live sounds good to me but I need someone's help who knows what they are doing and doesn't mind teaching me!!
Old 10-17-2011, 08:02 PM

Originally Posted by dodgediesel
I have tried a few combo's now Joe with all the same results but it always has been odd #. Gonna try #8 right away and see if that helps. EFI live sounds good to me but I need someone's help who knows what they are doing and doesn't mind teaching me!!

Level 8 & 9 are identical (230HP) except for the timing. Just focus on the timing options.
I would also try turning down the rail pressure settings as this can cause injector rattle also.

Also try taking your Smarty back down to level 5 or lower to see how the rattle is at that level.
Try the lower levels & work your way up, especially with your 90HP nozzles & upgraded CP3.

Brett has mentioned a few times that he has direct experience with both the SSR & EFILive. He would be the guy to talk to before making any decision.
Old 10-17-2011, 10:07 PM

The injector rattle will not go away with your current smarty. I had the exact same rattle when I put my 90's in. Not all trucks do it, however for the trucks that do, it seems to follow any larger set of injectors. Guys have gone through 3 full sets of injectors( different bodies and tips) and the rattle followed. It seems there has been luck tuning the rattle out with efi live. I don't know about the ssr.
Old 10-17-2011, 11:44 PM

I have done my fair share with both, and while the SSR is a step forward for tuning, it doesn't compare to efi live.

With that being said, there is a far steeper learning curve with efi live. However most vendors will give you a good tune to at least get you started.
Old 10-18-2011, 08:24 AM
The Guru

Jamie, hard to go wrong with either programmer. My vote is for EFI Live as there are way more options for tuning, than the smarty. The smarty tuning/mapping at best is choppy, not as smooth transitions as EFI. I plan to run EFI on my 2010 if it ever comes out.

Smarty seems to me abit old school, I rather know exactly what I'm adjusting and how.

but the SSR smarty does work well.
Old 10-18-2011, 08:34 AM

Stephen at Khaos Kustoms is gonna try EFI Live on another members truck and they will see if the rattle goes away. I will wait for those results. Gonna head out to CT Performance and we are gonna check these injectors with the scan tool. Shut each one off and see if there is one that makes more rattle then the next. If so, gonna change that one.....
Old 10-18-2011, 01:37 PM

The origional motor in my race truck would rattle on all odd number tunes. It was better after added a pressure box. On level 9 it would actually build pressure and blow antifreeze all over the truck. Level 8 with no timing was the best tune (with added pressure) to remove the rattle on my truck. That was also with DDP injectors (it makes a difference as to the brand of injectors too.
Old 10-18-2011, 02:39 PM

I know I should have got some Flux 2's instead but the wait was crazzzzzy long!!!
Old 10-18-2011, 02:42 PM

Originally Posted by dodgediesel
Stephen at Khaos Kustoms is gonna try EFI Live on another members truck and they will see if the rattle goes away. I will wait for those results. .....
That would be me. Guinea pig extraordinaire!

I do get the rattle at a certain combination of engine load and rpm(low), on both even and odd levels of the Smarty TNT-R tuning, even LVL 1. I'm running the stock ECM right now - and I dont think I get that rattle, although I havn't really been checking. . I'm hoping the EFI Live daily driver tune Stephen got for me will give the same power with less smoke. Stephen has the tune already, I just need to get over to Stony to get it uploaded.

Stay tuned....

...bad pun. Sorry.
Old 10-18-2011, 09:28 PM

In my experience injector rattle typically has come from larger then stock injectors, running with stock pre injection pulse width and timing.
Old 10-19-2011, 10:34 AM

Its been interesting driving this thing on the stock ECM tuning (i got 120 hp nozzles). No smoke, no rattle...it doesn't feel like less power, and can still hit 40+ lbs boost pretty easy, but its more laggy with the silverbullet 66 which makes it more of a pain navigating around in traffic/passing etc. Plus, the EGTs are all-around a bit higher.
Old 10-19-2011, 02:39 PM

Originally Posted by pistazie
That would be me. Guinea pig extraordinaire!

Stay tuned....

...bad pun. Sorry.

Wow, I'm much too conservative to be a guinea pig for anything but I'm sure you will be totally fine with Stephen.

It's still very early in the EFI Live development cycle as new things are being found daily.
As I've said before, EFI Live will or is already changing everything with the Common rail trucks.

I've been following the EFI Live section on CF since that is where Cumminalong mainly posts. He is one of many developers but he posts a ton & posts clearly on his progress.

http://www.cumminsforum.com/forum/efi-live/

Plus the Cummins section of the EFI Live forum:

http://forum.efilive.com/forumdispla...1-Cummins-5.9L
Old 10-19-2011, 02:48 PM

I should mention that the initial tuning is from Starlite Diesel....will keep you updated .... I dont want try to make crazy horsepower with tuning - been down that road and we know how that turned out . It makes plenty of power now just on parts. , I'd like to keep my set up and create less of a respiratory hazard. LOL. If it gets rid of the injector rattle - bonus!

http://www.competitiondiesel.com/for...d.php?t=113296

Last edited by pistazie; 10-19-2011 at 03:01 PM. Reason: added link

Quick Reply: EFI Live Or Smarty SSR???